Free Consultation: (844) 533-3367Tap to Call This Lawyer
Derek John Soltis

Derek John Soltis

Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
  • Employment Law, Bankruptcy, Foreclosure Defense ...
  • New York
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Derek J. Soltis, Esq. is graduate of Rutgers School of Law Newark and an admitted attorney in the State of New York. Mr. Soltis also has an MBA in Management Systems with an International Business Designation from Fordham University Graduate School of Business and a Master of Science in Information and Communication Systems where he specialized in System Dynamics. While at Fordham Mr. Soltis graduated in the top 10% of class and was enrolled in Phi Kappa Phi the Collegiate Honor Society and Beta Gamma Sigma the Business Honors Society. Mr. Soltis's undergraduate degree is a BBA from the University of Houston - Downtown, in Computer Information Systems. Mr. Soltis has spent several years in the eDisocery industry working on the technical and project management side of many cases for Fortune 100 clients and top 100 law firms. He has also managed business units for multiple Fortune 500 companies with responsibility for sales in excess of $18 million wile managing a budget of over $1.5 million. Mr. Soltis is deeply involved in volunteer work. He has volunteered for many organizations, including: Bowery Mission, American Red MIssion, American Red Cross, Essex County Law Day, and the Domestic Violence Advocacy Project in Newark. He has also worked as a Street Law teacher in Newark while in Law School where he taught at the Essex County Juvenile detention center and the Alma E. Flag Middle school.

Practice Areas
  • Employment Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Probate
  • Estate Planning
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Immigration Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Patel and Soltis
- Current
Partner in firm.
Rutgers School of Law-Newark
J.D. (2012) | Law
Placeholder image for education.
Fordham University
MBA (2006) | Management Sytems
Fordham University Logo
Fordham University
M.S. (2006) | Information and Communication Systems
Fordham University Logo
University of Houston - Downtown
B.B.A. (2003) | Computer Systems
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of New York
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Relativity Certified Administrator
Websites & Blogs
New Jersey Foreclosure Defense Attorneys
Legal Answers
204 Questions Answered

Q. Give example of: Homestead exemption, Catch-all Exemption, Equity, Conversion, Dismissal, Bankruptcy petition preparer.
A: Ny homestead exemption varies by county. A catch-all would be a wildcard that exempts any type of property. The federal exemptions tend to be better than NY State exemption for wild card. Equity is the difference between what is owed and the value of the item secured by a loan like a house or car. If you own a home worth $250,000 and owe $275,000 there is no equity. If you owe $240,000 you have $10,000 in equity and you would want to declare an exemption of $10,000 to keep that out of the trustees hands. Conversation is when a bankruptcy switches chapters such as from a 7 to 13. For instance some one declares a chapter 7 bankruptcy, and the trustee thinks the value of a property has 100,000 in equity above exemptions and moves to sell the property. A debtor would want to convert his chapter 7 to a chapter 13. Any one who prepares a bankruptcy petition is a bankruptcy petition preparer. If you do it for your self it is called filing pro se. If a non-attorney does it for you they need to file a form for you to submit to the court. If you have questions, talk to a bankruptcy attorney. Most will not charge for a consultation.
Q. Hello. My sister and I are co-executors of my mother's will who passed on 5-11-20 at the age of 93 from dementia.
A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. Yur first step should be to speak to an attorney about all of your rights and options. You really do not want to have your personal information discussed in a public forum.
Q. I need to prove that I am being tortured because the ppl doing it are getting away with it. I need representation.
A: Call an attorney that specializes in civil rights. You are not likely to get information that can help you on a public forum.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Across from Court House
574 Newark Ave
Suite 307
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Telephone: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
New York City
276 Fifth Avenue, Suite 704
New york, NY 10001
Toll-Free: (844) 533-3367
Cell: (917) 687-4219
Fax: (866) 212-4111
121 Newark Ave
Suite 554
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Telephone: (844) 533-3367
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.

Select up to 3 lawyers.