Free Consultation: (410) 324-2000Tap to Call This Lawyer
Paul D'Amore

Paul D'Amore

D'Amore Personal Injury Law, LLC
  • Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury
  • DC, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

After a decade of successful practice, Paul decided he would rather help real people instead of the rich hospitals and insurance companies that once retained him. He resigned his partnership at a prestigious defense firm, and began working as a personal injury lawyer serving injured people in their fight for justice against the very hospitals, corporations and insurance companies that once retained him. Since then, Paul has obtained tens of millions of dollars in compensation for his injured clients and their families. The results that Paul has achieved for his injured clients have earned him recognition as a Super Lawyer, a Top 100 Trial Lawyer and Life Membership in the Million Dollar and Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forums.

Practice Areas
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
Additional Practice Areas
  • Birth Injury
  • Brain Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
Federal Courts of Maryland
Federal Courts of Massachusetts
Federal Courts of New Jersey
Federal Courts of the District of Columbia
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Member, Attorney
D'Amore Personal Injury Law, LLC
- Current
Wais, Vogelstein, Forman & Offutt, LLC
The Cochran Firm
Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein Pa
Wharton Levin Ehrmantraut & Klein Pa
Northeastern University School of Law
J.D. (1997)
Boston University Graduate School of Management
B.S. / Business Finance (1992)
Professional Associations
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Articles & Publications
How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
Do You Have a Medical Malpractice Claim?
Websites & Blogs
D'Amore Personal Injury Blog
Legal Answers
22 Questions Answered

Q. Do plaintiff or the defendants pay the plaintiff lawyer's fee?
A: In Maryland medical malpractice cases where no settlement is reached, each side is responsible for its own legal fees. However, term "settlement" has a very specific meaning that is relevant to your question. A settlement is when the sides agree on an amount that will be paid, along with the terms and conditions of that payment. This agreement can be reached before, during or even after a trial. As part of the agreement, you can request that the defense pay your legal fees. However, most often, the plaintiff will decide how much money he/she would like to net from the settlement. Using this number, your attorney can calculate how much the defendant must agree to pay in order for you to net your desired amount after fees, costs and liens are deducted.
Q. Can a lawyer sue for more than what was on the demand letter(that didn't settled)?
A: Yes. Informal settlement negotiations are not binding. Therefore, you are not limited to your last demand once the case goes into suit.
Q. If my brother was hurt in an accident can I sue on his behalf?
A: You could only sue on your brother's behalf if you have been appointed as his legal guardian. If he is incapacitated from the injuries he sustained, you can be appointed his guardian. However, this requires a legal process that would be best handled by an experienced attorney.
Q. If a nurse gives you the wrong dose can you sue for malpractice?
A: The short answer is, yes. However, you would need to show that you suffered some sort of harm from the wrong dose of the medication. Most people who receive the wrong amount of medication suffer little or no harm. The body either clears the extra medication with little consequence, or the next dose is increased to make up for the difference (in cases of too little being given). If you believe you suffered significant harm from this event, your best course of action is to contact an experienced medical negligence attorney.
Q. I got burns when my coffee spilled on me after another drive side-swiped my car. The car accident itself didn't cause
A: Your question is relevant to the legal doctrine of "proximate cause". Simplified, the doctrine states that a negligent (at fault) party is responsible for all damages that are sufficiently related to the act or omission at issue. In your case, you would have to prove: (1) the other driver was operating his/her vehicle without due care; and (2) the burns from your coffee spill were sufficiently related to the other driver's failure. In your case, that should not be difficult. However, watch out for something called "contributory negligence". The other driver is entitled to argue that your injuries would not have occurred if you had been acting with due carei.e. not drinking your coffee while driving, or not paying attention to the road you
Q. What types of things can I receive compensation for in a car accident lawsuit?
A: First, you would be able to recover your monetary losses. These include: (1) the value of the property damage to your car; (2) your medical bills (past and future); (3) your lost wages from work (past and future); (4) the value of your lost contribution to your household; and (5) any other out of pocket expenses that you would not have incurred if you were not in the accident. In addition to these "economic damages", you could recover for the pain and suffering (past and future) you experienced as a result of your injuries. If you are married, your spouse can recover for the damage done to your marital relationship (if any) due to injuries you suffered in the accident. No one can put a dollar amount on these last two items. They are called "non-economic" damages. Juries are asked to simply use their best judgment, based on the evidence, to provide an amount of money to compensate for non-economic harms. In Maryland, non-economic damages are limited (capped) to a maximum amount that depends on the year the accident occurred. Therefore, even if a jury awarded you more than the capped limit for your pain and suffering, the Court would reduce the verdict to the applicable cap. The current non-economic damages cap is $830,000.
Q. When do the opponent's insurance send report explaining if they disagree with my expert?
A: The answer depends first on whether or not your case was filed in court. If it was, there should be a scheduling order that provides a deadline for expert disclosures. If you have not filed in court, and have only notified the opposing insurance company of a claim, you need to be aware of the statute of limitations date applicable to your case. If you have not settled with the insurance company before that date passes, you could be barred from ever bringing the case.
Q. What's the statue of limitation for filing lawsuit?
A: You question is a bit unclear. Limitations dates relate to deadlines to file the case in court. If you filed a "Claim" with an insurance company, that usually does not protect you from missing the deadline to file the case in court. As long as you are still within the deadline that applies to your type of case, you can still file it despite the fact that the insurance company has denied the claim.
Q. Can I get copies of interactions between my attorney and the insurance company, from attorney?
A: Absolutely. You have a right to all communications between your lawyer and anyone else relevant to your case. While a telephone call should suffice, I suggest you send a letter or an email to your attorney making the request.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Baltimore Office
111 South Calvert Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Telephone: (410) 324-2000
Annapolis Office
888 Bestgate Rd
Annapolis, MD 21401
Telephone: (410) 324-2000
Washington D.C. Office
1200 G Street NW
8th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
Telephone: (202) 434-8753