Free Consultation: (866) 463-0303Tap to Call This Lawyer
John Mesirow
  • Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice
  • DC, Maryland, Virginia
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

I am an experienced (26 years) personal injury lawyer who is dedicated to the practice of law and to my clients. While most cases resolve before trial, we aggressively prepare all of our cases so that, if a favorable settlement cannot be obtained, we are ready to go on the offensive from the beginning of the litigation process until its conclusion. We handle personal injury and accident cases (automobile, bicycle, pedestrian, slip and fall) in all areas of Maryland, Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia, in both state and federal courts.

As a small firm, we're able to give your case the personal attention it deserves. My team and I will handle your case from start to finish, and -- unlike many Washington, DC personal injury lawyers at large firms -- you'll never be passed off to a law clerk or a paralegal. That personalized attention is one reason why I have been named a top personal injury attorney by Washingtonian Magazine the last 7 times they have reviewed attorneys. Additionally, I was awarded the prestigious 'AV' rating from Martindale-Hubbell -- their highest possible rating for legal ability and ethics. I also have a 10.0/10.0 (superb) rating from, a professional review site for attorneys and doctors. Not that all of this isn't important, but nothing is more important than reviews. Please read my reviews on Google and Avvo.

We're located in downtown Washington, DC, one block from the Metro, and would be happy to to discuss your case. Initial consultations are free. Call us at 866-463-0303.

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Medical Malpractice
Additional Practice Areas
  • Car Accidents
  • Premises Liability
  • Free Consultation
    Free Initial Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. Supreme Court
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Member
- Current
Law Offices of John B. Mesirow
Frank, Berstein, Conaway & Goldman
George Washington University School of Law
J.D., with Honors | Law
Honors: The George Washington Journal of International Law and Economics, Member
Miami University of Ohio
B.S. | Finance
Top personal injury lawyer
Northern Virginia Magazine
Top Washington, D.C. personal injury lawyer
Washingtonian Magazine
Seven consecutive times, including in the most recent edition (December 2017)
"AV" Peer Review Rated Attorney
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
National Crime Victims Bar Association
Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Maryland State Bar Association
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Legal Answers
12 Questions Answered

Q. I was charged in a fight, but got injured myself - can I sue the other person?
A: Yes, but even if you win in court, it is difficult to collect from most individuals for a variety of reasons. Because of this, it will probably be difficult for you to find a personal injury lawyer who would be willing to take your case on a contingency basis. You should call a personal injury to discuss this further.
Q. I was hit in the District, but live in Virginia -- which laws apply?
A: DC law applies to the accident. If you were injured, you should contact a personal injury lawyer immediately. There are some things that, if not done soon after the accident, may hurt your case. For example, you want to get pictures of any property damage (e.g. car, bicycle) before it is repaired, and any visible injuries (before they heal). It is also important to get witness statements now, while their whereabouts are known, and the memories are fresh. This is not an exhaustive list. Good luck.
Q. So if we file a wrongful death claim, does the person go to prison, or is it just money we get?
A: Just money. A wrongful death claim is civil, not criminal.
Q. We are trying to figure out - is wrongful death always a criminal lawsuit?
A: Wrongful death is a civil claim. Contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss the merits of the claim.
Q. I am a biker who collided with a car parked closer then required 30ft to an intersection. Who is liable for the incident
A: Fortunately, the law in DC for collisions like this changed in 2016. Before that time, if you were even 1% at fault (and therefore "contributed" to the collision), you were barred from recovering anything. Now, per the statute below, that defense (contributory negligence) cannot be asserted if you were less negligent than the defendant(s). More information is needed to express an informed opinion as to the strength of your claim. Consult a DC personal injury lawyer to discuss the facts of your collision in more detail. I hope you feel better. 50–2204.52. Contributory negligence limitation. (a) The negligence of a pedestrian, bicyclist, or other non-motorized user of a public highway involved in a collision with a motor vehicle shall not bar the plaintiff's recovery in any civil action unless the plaintiff's negligence is: (1) A proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury; and (2) Greater than the aggregated total amount of negligence of all of the defendants that proximately caused the plaintiff's injury.
Q. Is the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit the same across all states?
A: NO!!! It varies from state to state, and the nature of the claim! Call a lawyer for more information.
Q. Is it legal to drive a car with driver side mirror missing?
A: No. Maryland Code TRANSPORTATION TITLE 22 - VEHICLE LAWS - EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES Subtitle 4 - Other Equipment Section 22-403 - Mirrors. § 22-403. Mirrors. ... (b) Motor vehicles - Registered in this State.- Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle and along the driver's side of the vehicle.
Q. Someone rear-ended me, and I just found out that they weren't adequately covered in terms of insurance. Does that mean I
A: If you have automobile insurance, you can collect under your uninsured motorist (UM) coverage, or your underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. Contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the circumstances of your case.
Q. After you settle a car accident from the at-fault party can I take the money that is recieved and still file a claim?
A: No. You can only collect once. The obvious benefit of collecting from the at-fault driver is that you are not out-of-pocket for your deductible (although if the other driver is determined to be at fault, you will get your deductible back). If you need the $250 now, get more aggressive with the other party's adjuster. If the adjuster is not responsive, follow up with his/her supervisor. That usually works. Good luck. (You probably know this, but once you get the check for the repairs, you can use it for whatever you want. You don't need to use it to repair your car.)
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Mesirow & Associates, PLLC
1307 New Hampshire Ave NW
Washington, DC 20036
Toll-Free: (866) 463-0303
Telephone: (202) 463-0303
Fax: (202) 861-8858