Former Career Senior Deputy District Attorney - Prosecutor for Arapahoe and Douglas Counties, the largest jurisdiction in Colorado. 13 years as a Colorado Arapahoe - Douglas County Senior Career Trial District Attorney - the last 17 years as a Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer. Have specialized in Colorado Criminal Law for over 30 years.
I put that experience to work for my clients who are charged in the Colorado Criminal Courts... Please page me 24-7 at 303-543-4433 - or in emergencies - 720-220-2277... My cell...
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Violence
- DUI & DWI
- Juvenile Law
- White Collar Crime
- Constitutional Law
- Credit Cards Accepted
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Typically a flat fee based on Colorado averages for similar criminal defense - reasonable and fair fee structure.
- Owner - Lawyer
- The Steinberg Colorado Criminal Defense Law Office
- - Current
- H. Michael Steinberg has been a Colorado criminal law specialist attorney for 30 years (as of 2012). For the first 13 years of his career, he was an Arapahoe - Douglas County District Attorney Senior prosecutor. In 1999 he formed his own law firm for the defense of Colorado criminal cases. In addition to handling tens of thousands of cases in the criminal trial courts of Colorado, he has written hundreds of articles regarding the practice of Colorado criminal law and frequently provides legal analysis on radio and television, appearing on the Fox News Channel, CNN and Various National and Local Newspapers and Radio Stations. Please call him at your convenience at 720-220-2277.
- University of Oregon School of Law
- J.D. | Law
- Honors: Graduated Top 10% of the class
- University of Massachusetts - Amherst
- Legal studies - Honors
- Honors: Graduated With Honors - Cum Laude 3.75 GPA
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Arapahoe County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- Colorado State Bar # 12943
- - Current
- Colorado Criminal Lawyer Blog
- Helping Colorado Judges Understand The Opioid Crisis – How Defendants Get Hooked
7 September 2017
- Why Isn’t My Lawyer Getting More Aggressive With The Judge?
26 June 2016
- Colorado Criminal Law – Tricks Police Use To Get You To Confess – The Interview Room
14 January 2016
- 2014 Criminal Court Deadlines Under Colorado Criminal Law – When You Have To File – What You Have To Do
1 December 2014
- Confidentiality Of Lawyer – Colorado Attorney – Client Communications – Is It Safe To Talk To Your Lawyer From Jail?
1 September 2014
- Colorado Teenager Learns About The Limits Of The First Amendment – Cyber-bullying and Facebook And The Colorado Crime of Harassment
30 October 2013
- United States Supreme Court Asked To Decide How Far Police Can Go In Searching Cell Phone At Time Of Arrest
18 August 2013
- The Limits Of Parenting – Frustrated California Mom Charged With Child Abuse -Chains Son To Stop Him From Gang Activity
11 August 2013
- Colorado Courts Reassert Awesome Power Of Parole Board In Sex Offender Parole Revocation Matters
2 August 2013
- Q. Can my son get a review if his attorney made him take a plea that was vacated right after for 35 c inafective assistance
- A: I am unclear on what you mean by review. Please clarify your wants and expectations. Not enough facts.
- Q. Can i be charged with more than what the d.a.is alleging?or is what's on the paper all that I'm being charged with?
- A: There are no limits on the DA in filing charges as long as their is evidence to support the charge filed. In other words the DA is the charging authority in all cases - especially felony cases.
- Q. I was arrested by the city of Westminster on charges I have proof that are false and not true I don't know what to do
- A: You have two choices. Represent yourself and present your evidence to the DA which is sometimes risky. Or retain a lawyer to do the same. Less risky but obviously more expensive.
- Q. Questioning of a minor bt school administration without parents present after a fight? Then cited by police? Legal?
- A: Totally legal. The only time parents can intervene is when the child is under arrest or is in a circumstance that would be considered the equivalent of an arrest. In that case the child - If questioned - Would have to be advised.of their Miranda rights and waive them or not - with the consent of a parent or or other legal guardian
- Q. what is a municipal statue warrant
- A: There are three criminal jurisdictions in Colorado. Federal - state and local also known as municipal Court. Nearly every city has its own criminal laws called codes. In your case it appears as if the case was originally filed in the wrong court. The new court is called a muni court and it appears as.if they have issued an arrest warrant for you.
- Q. I am trying to find out how can I see what crime was made by having the case number
- A: You can go to www.cocourts.com and look up your name.
- Q. How do they measure for intoxication of weed?
- A: The police use a blood test - under Colorado law - the result is in nanograms - 5 nanograms is the bottom number before you can be prosecuted for DUID Driving under the influence of drugs. Here is a link that will help . https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/marijuana-impairment-testing/
- Q. I was charged with a DUI that included a minor accident no injuries involved in March 2018. It was a first offense and t
- A: Unfortunately it is not only legal it is very commonly the case. You cannot drink alcohol anywhere. When you accept probation - you accept the conditions of probation. In a DUI case it is within the Judge's discretion to order everything in your post. I wish it were different. Good Luck.
- Q. My son 2 years ago got a class4 felony for burglary of a church to sleep because we kicked him out. Do I need lawyer
- A: I strongly agree with Brian - we are both ex career prosecutors and believe that whenever a person is charged with a felony - they should obtain an attorney. The stakes surrounding a felony conviction are life changing and can be permanent.