Michael Edwards

Michael Edwards

Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence
  • Wisconsin
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawg SearchSocial Media

Michael A. Edwards was born in Milwaukee, WI. Michael attended the Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa and graduated in 2014 after earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in Law, Politics & Society and Rhetoric & Communication Studies. Michael graduated from Drake with University Honors.

Michael graduated from Marquette University Law School in 2017 with a Certificate in Sports Law as well as Pro Bono Honors for volunteering nearly 400 hours of his time to pro bono legal services.

Currently, Michael assists clients with family law issues in Fond du Lac and surrounding counties.

While in school, Michael held various internship positions including positions with a sole practitioner, a bankruptcy firm, Bronx County Civil Court of New York, the Milwaukee Justice Center, Milwaukee County Circuit Court – Family Division, Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee and compliance for Marquette University Athletics.

Over the years Michael has also been of service to his community having worked with the National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, Meals from the Heartland, the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Easter Seals and United Way.

Practice Areas
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Senior Associate Attorney
Sterling Law Offices, S.C.
- Current
Associate Attorney
Zacherl, O'Malley & Endejan, S.C.
Marquette University Law School
J.D. (2017) | Law
Honors: National Sports Law Institute Certificate recipient; Pro Bono Honor Society (400 hours of pro bono work)
Activities: Intellectual Property Law Society; Entertainment Law Society; Jewish Law Student's Association; Sports Law Society; Student Animal Legal Defense Fund; Student Bar Association; Sports Law Review (staff editor)
Marquette University Law School Logo
Drake University
B.A. (2014) | Law, Politics & Society; Rhetoric & Communication Studies
Honors: 2013 Drake University Dean's List; 2013 Order of the Lamp Scholarship Award; Recipient of 4 academic scholarships, Drake University Honors Distinction.
Activities: Pi Kappa Phi fraternity (founding father); Delta Theta Phi (pre-law); Order of Omega Greek Honor Society; Drake University Hillel
Drake University Logo
2018 Avvo Client's Choice Award
Avvo is one of the legal industry's most prominent and widely used directories. According to the company, they list 97% of all attorneys practicing in the U.S. Unlike the other Avvo award badges, the Clients' Choice honor is given as a result of the quality and frequency of client reviews left for a particular attorney listed on the Avvo site. To receive a Clients' Choice Award, an attorney must have: Five or more client reviews with 4 or more stars in the past year.
Professional Associations
Fond du Lac Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
The Divorce Cooperation Institute
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Wisconsin  # 1098942
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Milwaukee Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Certificate in Sports Law
Marquette University School of Law - National Sports Law Institute
Websites & Blogs
Law Firm Website
Legal Answers
26 Questions Answered

Q. how can I initiate a paternity action as the father. The child is in Jackson county, I live in Trempealeau county
A: You can file the paternity action either in Jackson County or Trempealeau County. I would think that the better option in this case though would be to file in Jackson County since the I assume the child is living with the other parent in that county.
Q. can I get child support for my son who lives with me full time if there is not a court order yet in place?
A: If you want to receive child support, you would need a court order in place to be able to enforce it. In most cases, child support will follow a placement order so you will probably want to request an order for primary placement and then request the court to calculate child support for that as well. Going by the standard percentage calculation in Wisconsin, child support would be calculated using 17% of the payer's gross monthly income.
Q. If my son still lives at home with my ex wife and my ex wife files a report that she no longer wants child suport.
A: Once your son is 18, you no longer have an obligation to pay your ex-wife child support for that child. Child support needs to be notified of the fact that he has reached 18 years of age. There is no possible way your son to receive child support from you though. Child support is going to be paid to a parent or legal guardian of the children at issue.
View More Answers
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.