Free Consultation: (720) 280-3929Tap to Call This Lawyer
Brian K. McHugh

Brian K. McHugh

Over 32 years experience in criminal law. No charge initial consultation
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Domestic Violence ...
  • Colorado
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawg Search

I have focused on criminal law and procedure for over 32 years, 22 of those years as a Deputy District Attorney and Chief Deputy District Attorney in the 18th Judicial District - Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln Counties.

Over the years, I have handled a wide variety of cases, from 1st Degree Murder, Sexual Assault, Aggravated Robbery, Kidnapping, Vehicular Assault and Criminal Impersonation to misdemeanor Assault, Domestic Violence, Harassment, Disturbing the Peace, DUI, DUID, Misdemeanor Traffic Offenses and most everything in between.

While with the District Attorney's Office I was a member of the Critical Incident Team, responding to officer involved shootings and in-custody deaths. I taught classes on criminal law and procedure to law enforcement officers, other prosecutors and briefed and argued cases in Colorado's appellate courts.

In the Fall of 2009, I left the District Attorney's Office to open my own law firm. I focus solely on criminal law. I use my decades of experience in defense of each individual client, whether that client is charged with a felony, misdemeanor, DUI, or other offense.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law

    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes

  • DUI & DWI

  • Domestic Violence

    Domestic Violence Criminal Defense, Domestic Violence Restraining Orders

  • Traffic Tickets

    Suspended License

Additional Practice Areas
  • Sealing of Adult Criminal Records
  • Expungement of Juvenile Records
  • Sex Offender De-Registration
  • Driver's License Suspension and Revocations
  • Free Consultation
    The free consultation allows me to get an idea of the needs and goals of the potential client and at the same time allows them to learn about me. Then they can make an informed decision whether my experience, knowledge and skill are what they are looking for in an attorney.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Brian K. McHugh
- Current
Experienced legal representation for people charged with felonies, misdemeanors, DUI and other traffic offenses.
Legal Intern, Deputy and Chief Deputy District Attorney
Office of the District Attorney, 18th Judicial District
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
J.D. (1987) | Law
Honors: American Juris Prudence Award
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law Logo
Colorado State University
B.A. (1984) | Sociology
Honors: Deans List 1981 through 1984
Colorado State University Logo
Award of Exception Merit
Professional Associations
State Bar of Colorado  # 16964
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Colorado Bar Assocation
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Arapahoe County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
DUI Handbook - A Guide for Colorado Prosecutors
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of Brian K. McHugh
Colorado Criminal Law
Legal Answers
79 Questions Answered

Q. I got a ticket near Denver, but I lost the paper ticket and don't know what court issued. How can I find it?
A: If you were issued the ticket within the Centennial city limits (that can be determined by an online search for a map of the boundary lines of Centennial), then the ticket was filed either with the Arapahoe County Court or, more likely, if it was a minor traffic violation, the City of Centennial Municipal Court. The contact telephone numbers for both those courts can be found online. Good luck.
Q. I have 3 Court Clearance Required I know I missed court in Denver but idk about Aurora and Douglas? Any advice?Whattodo
A: Call the court clerk in the Aurora Municipal Court and the Douglas County Court and ask them for about the clearances you need. In the typical situation they are called an OJW fees.
Q. Will a deffered prosecution show up on your record during the time of completion? (I was not arrested/fingerprinted)
A: It will not show up on a criminal history check through the CBI or the FBI because you were not arrested and finger printed. However, since it is active court case, a thorough background may disclose it.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Brian K. McHugh
26 W. Dry Creek Circle
Suite 600
Littleton, CO 80120
Telephone: (720) 280-3929
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.