Free Consultation: (317) 565-1818Tap to Call This Lawyer
William J Webster

William J Webster

Webster Legal LLC / Protect What Matters Most Family, Estate & Business
  • Divorce, Family Law, Business Law...
  • Indiana
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

William J. Webster practices as an attorney in Westfield, Indiana, serving clients throughout the State of Indiana. For nearly a decade, William has assisted individuals and businesses in protecting the things that matter most. He offers clients practical solutions for their estate, business, and family needs.
William is a lifelong resident of Hamilton County and resides in Westfield with his wife, Robbie, and four children, Dayton, Corbin, Bryce and Austin.
William obtained a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Marian University, a Masters in Business Administration from Valparaiso University, and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Indiana University School of Law.
William is admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana, the Indiana Tax Court, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana, and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana. Further, William is a member of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, the Indiana State Bar Association, the Hamilton County Bar Association, and the Westfield Chamber of Commerce.
Webster Legal, LLC, is a full-service Law Firm. Practice areas include: Agricultural Law, Business Law, Criminal Defense, Divorce and Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate, Personal Injury, and Real Estate.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Business Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Probate
  • Real Estate Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
J.D. (2009) | Law
Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law Logo
Valparaiso University
MBA (2006) | Business
Valparaiso University Logo
Marian College
B.S. (2004) | Finance
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of Indiana
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Hamilton County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
The Webster Word
Legal Answers
23 Questions Answered

Q. Does a small estate affidavit cover real estate in Indiana? Total assets-including real estate- is under $30,000.
A: Yes, if the house is only worth $30K, then you can transfer via Small Estate Affidavit. I recommend verifying the value by a 3rd party such as the assessed value provided by the County for property tax purposes or hire an appraiser. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us at 317-565-1818. -Will
Q. My son is seeking a divorce from his mentally unstable wife of 7 years. His work schedule is from 8-5 what does he need
A: Your son needs to contact an attorney to set-up an appointment to discuss his case and determine what steps need to be taken going forward. Each case is unique, so it's difficult to provide an answer without knowing more facts about your son's case. We offer free consultations, so feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818. -William Webster
Q. My mother didn't leave a will has to property has no debt what kind of lawyer do I need? There are four of us agreement.
A: Even though everyone is in agreement, in order to transfer property from your mother to you and your siblings you will need to hire a probate attorney to open and assist in administering your mother's estate. When the estate is opened a personal representative is appointed who has the authority to transfer property from the person who passed away to his or her beneficiaries or heirs at law. Depending on the size of the estate and types of property, there may be other methods available to administer your mother's estate, therefore I recommend you contact a probate attorney to assist you with the process. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818. Sincerely, William Webster
Q. Is Indiana a no fault state?
A: Yes, Indiana is a no fault state. In Indiana, the petition for dissolution typically states there has been an irretrievably breakdown of the marriage. The Court may take a party's behavior or actions into account when determining custody and parenting time for children and/or an equitable division of the marital estate. I hope the above answers your question. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818. -Will
Q. Divorced 5 years ago. Husband awarded house in decree with no time limit to refinance. Still in both our names.
A: If your name is on the mortgage, then yes his late payments will affect your credit. Since your name is on the house, he cannot legally transfer ownership without your consent. I assume in your Divorce Decree he was awarded the house and agreed to maintain the payments. I recommend you file a contempt action with the Court. In your request state he has failed to timely make payments as Ordered and ask the Court to immediately list the house for sale. Spring / Summer is typically a better time to sell a house, so I would file the contempt as soon as possible as it may be a month or so before you get a hearing and then even more time before you get an Order back from the Court. If you have any additional questions or need assistance with the above, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818. -Will
Q. What happens when my mother passes away with a bank account and a house but no will but also has one of her son's on the
A: In regards to the bank account, if your brother was on the account as a joint account holder, then the monies in the account will become his sole property. In regards to the house, it depends how ownership of the house was titled. If your mother owned the property as tenants in common w/ your brother, then 50% of the house will become part of the your mother's estate. If title was held as joint tenants with rights of survivorship, then the house will also become the sole property of your brother. The above transfers would have occurred regardless of whether your mother had a Will or not. If the house was owned as tenants in common, then you will need to open an estate to transfer your mother's interest to her heirs at law (since there was no Will), which presumably will be her children in equal parts. I hope the above answers your question. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818. -Will
Q. How do I know if I can afford to divorce my husband?
A: In regard to legal fees, if there is a disparity in income, an attorney can petition the Court for your spouse to pay all or part of your legal fees. Further, if there are assets that will be sold or assets you will acquire in the divorce, some attorneys will be willing to wait till the divorce is final and assets are available for legal fees. If the above does not apply to you, then there are organizations that provide free or reduce rate legal fees. Indiana Legal Services is a great resource with respect to finding such programs. If your questions is whether you can survive on your own post divorce that is a personal question only you can answer. Again if there is a disparity in income, you may be entitled to more that 50% of the marital estate. If certain conditions are met, you may qualify for spousal maintenance or if you have children then the Indiana Child Support Guidelines and Indiana online child support calculator will give you a general idea of what to expect in regard to a weekly child support obligation from your spouse. I would need to know more about your case and the nature of your questions to give you a better answer. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818. -Will Whether you can afford to divorce your spous
Q. When a couple decides to get a divorce, can the husband or the wife take anything out of the house prior to the divorce?
A: Unfortunately, until there is an Order from the Court or you reach an agreement as to who gets possession of certain property both of you own the property. Therefore there is not much you can do to prevent your spouse from removing property from the marital residence. I recommend taking pictures and/or making a list of all the property in the house that your husband has removed. He is not supposed to "dissipate" assets, meaning get rid of property, therefore if items come up missing or he denies taking said property, then you have a record you can show your attorney or the judge. Once a petition for dissolution is filed, then you can request a Preliminary Hearing and request the Court make temporary orders in regard to who has possession of what property until the divorce is finalized. Once you have a Court order in place, then your spouse cannot take whatever property he wants out of the marital residence. If your spouse is simply taking whatever he wants, I would also recommend you review bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc... to make sure he is not making transfers and/or withdraws. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me at 317-565-1818. -Will
Q. Can you be told to stay in one particular area?
A: In Indiana, if you want to move you are required to file a Notice of Intent to Relocate w/in 90 days of your anticipated move. If the non-custodial parent objects, then the Court will set the matter for hearing and review issues such as custody and parenting time. A Court cannot prevent you from moving, but if the Court finds that it's in the best interest of the child to remain in the community or a particular area due to school, family, etc..., then the Court may indicate that if you move the Court will modify custody and/or parenting time. There are statutory provisions that govern the Notice of Intent to Relocate, therefore if you intend to move I recommend contacting an attorney to make sure you comply with said provisions. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office at 317-565-1818. -Will
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Webster Legal LLC
104 N Union Street
Westfield, IN 46074
Telephone: (317) 565-1818