Free Consultation: (443) 543-6767Tap to Call This Lawyer
Thomas Neary

Thomas Neary

  • Personal Injury, Insurance Defense, Medical Malpractice...
  • District of Columbia, Maryland, New York
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Thomas E. Neary has over twenty years of experience as a trial attorney serving clients in the Baltimore, Washington D.C., and New York areas. Mr. Neary handles a wide variety of cases involving disputes in personal injury, auto accidents, workers compensation and medical malpractice. Additionally, Tom can assist you in matters involving general practice areas, such as, business law and wills. Your legal issue deserves a highly qualified attorney who will advocate on your behalf with integrity and tenacity. Contact Tom and he will be happy to assist you and answer questions.

Tom became a lawyer to help people. When a person is injured in a car accident, work injury or other life experience, it can be a very traumatic time. Tom does his best to guide his clients through this tough time, informing them of their rights and fighting for them. Tom also worked for years for insurance companies defending car accident and negligence claims. He knows how they work and can use that knowledge to your benefit.

Tom's goal is to serve you and present your case persuasively in order to provide you with the representation you deserve. Tom has spent many years working successfully in the Baltimore/D.C. areas and looks forward to working for you.


1994, B.A. Loyola University, Baltimore, Maryland

1997, J.D. Hofstra University School of Law, Long Island, New York

Bar Admissions:

1998, New York Bar
1999, Maryland and District of Columbia
2001, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
2002, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland

Practice Areas
  • Personal Injury
  • Insurance Defense
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
District of Columbia Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Hofstra University
J.D. (1997) | Law
Hofstra University Logo
Professional Associations
District of Columbia Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Tom's website
Legal Answers
28 Questions Answered

Q. How long I have to get a lawyer after car accident in MD
A: Sorry about your accident and rough birthday! The Statute of Limitations for filing most claims related to the accident is 3 years from the date of the accident. This is for negligence claims. There are also some issues dealing with insurance that need to be dealt with earlier. It is usually best to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to make sure you don't miss anything.
Q. Hello, Is money awarded in a wrongful death case taxable on the state(MD) and Federal level? Thank you.Tom
A: I am sorry for your loss. I agree generally with my colleague but would add this is a good conversation to have with your lawyer. I would hope you are working with a lawyer on a case of such magnitude.
Q. My father was recently killed in a car accident that wasn't his fault. I'm his estranged biological son. Can I still
A: First, I am sorry for the loss of your father! That is terrible. Yes, the ability to bring an action is based on the family relationship. You should be able to bring such an action and may also be able to named personal representative of his Estate for that portion of the claim. It is a really good idea to speak with a lawyer to get advice on how to proceed as well as any other rights you may have upon your father's passing.
Q. How can a court decide what an academically promising college student's future earnings would be after he's killed in a
A: Hello - first, I am sorry for your loss! There are many factors that go into an estimated future income when someone dies before they reach the workforce. In most cases, the attorney on the side of the deceased will hire experts in the area and gather evidence to support an estimate that is based on academic performance, goals and things like socioeconomic background to project how much the deceased would have made in their work lifetime. A jury then has the ultimate say over how much is awarded for all damages under the claims presented at trial. A lawyer is very helpful in these types of cases.
Q. My husband was the sole earner in our family but he was killed in a car crash. Will a wrongful death settlement cover
A: I am sorry for your loss. That is terrible. Yes, lost earnings will be includable as part of the damages you can claim. The amount is based upon salary, projected future earnings as well as things like expected life expectancy which is a figure set out by the government. This is not the only amount of damages though. A big issue that my colleague referenced in his answer and you reference is whether the settlement will cover the loss you suffered. Obviously, nothing can make your families loss better but whether you will be able to recover future lost wages in a settlement will depend partly on how much insurance coverage or assets are available to pay any settlement. This will depend on who the other party/parties were in the accident and how well insured they were. This is the type of case where having a good attorney on the side of your family can be very helpful. I recommend you contact one to work through this on your behalf. Again, sorry for your loss.
Q. What happens if you miscarry after an accident?
A: I am sorry for your loss. It would be included as part of the damages caused by the car accident if the miscarriage was caused by the accident or injuries related to the accident. This would likely be a good issue to talk with an experienced car accident lawyer about as the proof required will likely differ from most collision cases.
Q. I work for Baltimore City Department of Transportation I had a accident at work ambulance hit the work truck
A: Possibly. It depends on how the accident happened. As an employee, if you were working at the time of the accident, you would likely be entitled to file a Workers Compensation claim with your employer for any injuries and damages. You could also file an action directly against the driver and/or owner of the ambulance for your injuries but would have to deal with any liens for the Workers Compensation paid to you. As to liability, it would depend on the facts of the accident. If the ambulance was on a call, there are rules that govern how they are to be operated.
Q. I was hit while riding my bicycle and I hardly remember it. How can I sue the driver if my memory is so blurry?
A: So sorry this happened to you! Bike accidents can be very traumatic. It is not surprising that your memory is blurry. If you don't recall the details of the accident, it will be important to see how much you can find out from other sources. Even if have areas of memory loss, if you can establish from the police report, witnesses or even the other driver that hit you what happened then you should be able to present a case. I would recommend that you speak with an attorney who can help you answer these questions. You may want to do it quickly as some evidence may be harder to find with time. Best wishes on your recovery. Tom
Q. If I had a knee replacement and later find out the product was recalled before the doctor put it in me, do I have a case
A: It really will depends on the details of the case like when was the product recalled and what are the damages, but it doesn't sound good from your limited description. I would recommend you sit down and go over it with an attorney.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Thomas E. Neary
6400 Baltimore National Pike
Catonsville, MD 21201
Telephone: (443) 543-6767