Free Consultation: (253) 302-4849Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steven Willock

Steven Willock

Andrews & Arbenz, PLLC
  • Business Law, Real Estate Law
  • California, Washington
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Steve is a business and real estate transactional attorney.

During the four years immediately prior to joining Andrews & Arbenz, PLLC, Steve served as in-house General Counsel for the principal developer of one of the largest privately funded real estate projects in the Pacific Northwest. Steve also spent approximately 15 years in private practice, in the San Francisco Bay Area, representing and advising a wide variety of business clients and real estate developers and also serving as outside counsel to several municipalities, regional businesses, and Fortune 500 companies.

Steve is particularly adept at identifying and assessing his client’s unique risks and legal issues and then providing strategic, creative, and practical legal advice needed to address those risk and legal issues.

Steve was born in the Pacific Northwest and raised in Gig Harbor and has roots in both Washington State and the San Francisco Bay Area. In 2014, Steve, his wife, and kids relocated back to Western Washington. Steve enjoys traveling and the outdoors and spends much of his free time skiing, snowboarding, cycling, scuba diving, or paddle boarding, although most recently, all of his free time (and money) seems to be devoted to the renovation of his family’s beach home.

Practice Areas
  • Business Law
  • Real Estate Law
  • Free Consultation
    I offer a free, initial 15 minute telephone consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    I accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express via LawPay
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of California
ID Number: 206207
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Washington State Bar Association
ID Number: 47655
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney / Partner
Andrews & Arbenz, PLLC
University of California - San Diego
B.A. | Economics
Honors: with honors
University of California - San Diego Logo
University of California, Davis, School of Law
J.D. | Law
University of California, Davis, School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
King County Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Washington State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar # 206207
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
1 Questions Answered

Q. My son and daughter own a piece of property in Wa. State, 50% each. My daughter signed her 50% over to me with a quite
A: Assuming the quit claim deed conveying your daughter's 50% interest to you complies with the statutory requirements for a quit claim deed under Washington law, the deed would be a legal document enforceable against your daughter even if it has not been recorded. A deed does not need to be recorded in Washington State to be a valid legal document. On the other hand, the benefit of recording the quit claim deed is to protect your ownership interest in the property against third parties who claim an interest in the property and have no actual knowledge that your daughter transferred her interest to you. For instance (and this may get a bit confusing), if an otherwise valid quit claim deed is not recorded, it is possible for the original transferor to either re-sell the same 50% interest to a third party or to use that interest as security for a loan even after the interest was sold or transferred to you. Under these circumstances, if the buyer or lender did not have knowledge of the transfer when they purchased or mortgaged the property, and if the buyer or lender then records their deed (or, if applicable, deed of trust), then the transfer made via the original unrecorded quit claim deed may be void as against the rights of the subsequent buyer or lender. Thus, it is always advisable to record a deed as soon as possible even though that deed is enforceable against the transferor without the necessity of recording. Notwithstanding the foregoing, please note that there may be relevant facts that would have an impact on your rights, and you should not interpret the foregoing as legal advice. Only an attorney who has had a chance to inquire about all relevant facts and to review all relevant documents can provide you with competent legal advice. Therefore, I would suggest that you consult with a local real estate attorney to evaluate your matter.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Andrews & Arbenz, PLLC
Washington Office
2200 North 30th Street
Suite 202
Tacoma, WA 98403
Telephone: (253) 302-4849
Andrews & Arbenz, PLLC
California Office
1990 N California Blvd.
8th Floor
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Telephone: (925) 263-9743