Stephen J. Plog

Stephen J. Plog

Denver Divorce and Custody Attorneys
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • Colorado
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial Media

As one of the co-founders of Plog & Stein P.C., Stephen J. Plog is a highly skilled Denver divorce lawyer who truly cares about helping his clients successfully resolve family law issues. The Chicago native has handled cases in all the district courts of the Denver metropolitan area, which has allowed him to gain unique and invaluable experience in regards to how judges tend to rule on certain matters. If you need help with a family law case, he is the kind of lawyer you want advocating on your behalf. He is admitted to practice in the state of Colorado and the U.S. District Court for District of Colorado. He creates unique strategies to reflect the unique nature of each case he accepts. A graduate of Quinnipiac University School of Law, Attorney Plog is a member of the Colorado Bar Association and the Douglas / Elbert Bar Association. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, and traveling. Wish to speak to Attorney Plog about your family law case? Contact our firm today for an initial consultation! He can help you better understand the options that are available to you before you decide to move forward with your family law matter.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
  • English
Professional Experience
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Writing
New Mexico State University
Honors: Also completed coursework towards general government degree and supplemental pre-law minor.
Professional Associations
Douglas/Elbert Bar Association
Colorado State Bar
Colorado Bar Association
- Current
Legal Answers
218 Questions Answered

Q. Are social security payments factored in to alimony payments when the spouse files for divorce?
A: Social Security benefits would count as income for purposes of calculating alimony (maintenance). Social Security benefits are not going to be considered property.
Q. My German wife of 2 yrs ... able to divorce me from Germany, which she now lives?
A: If you all last lived together in Colorado then Colorado would have jurisdiction over her tied into a divorce and it would be appropriate to file here. If she files in Germany, you will need to contact a German attorney to assess the situation and whether the German court could also have jurisdiction over you. A German court shouldn't be able to affect any property interests in the US. If the marriage was not properly perfected in Germany she may not be able to do anything there. Under Colorado law she shouldn't be able to take half of your assets. However, she may be able to make a claim for her share of any property acquired during the marriage, including any increase in value to premarital property.
Q. I need help locating my Ex Husband for spousal support.
A: Unfortunately, he will have to be personally served to be able to proceed with a contempt of court. If he has a job you may be able to pursue other legal avenues for collecting the spousal support. If you have an address for home or work you might file a new contempt motion and try a private process server. Unfortunately, process servers nor the sheriff are going to track him down. Additionally, if you have the funds, you might consider hiring a private investigator to track him down. Furthermore, there are many websites out there which might contain relevant information as to his whereabouts. You cannot serve him by "publication" when it comes to contempt of court. Finally, some county child support enforcement units will also deal with collection of spousal support. You should check with the county you reside in. If they will help you, they can have great reach in terms of tracking someone down through the Department of Labor, presuming he is in Colorado.
Q. If custodial parent put children in private School is the other parent liable for the expenses he never agreed
A: Generally, no. The decision making would need to be known as to whether sole or joint. If joint, 100% no. If sole, I still think the non-custodial parent would have the right to challenge as to cost.
Q. Does he have more rights because we are common law married?
A: The only way he has a duty to support you, potentially, is if you are married, whether common law or otherwise. Some of the examples you give could support the notion of a common law marriage. Just having joint bills or being listed as a dependent does not make you common law married. Those might be factors. You should consult with an attorney to go through your facts and circumstances to assess whether they think a marriage exists. If one does, you would need to file for divorce to get any financial help.
Q. What rights would an absent father of 8+years have if he is not on the Birth Certificate and no Paternity established?
A: If you are asking about rights as to visitation, custody, etc., you will need to file a paternity case to establish paternity. The court can order DNA testing. Presuming you are determined to be the father, the court can enter orders from there. Please note that the other side could potentially seek back child support for all those years, depending on the circumstances, and that child support moving forward would also be an issue in the case.
Q. Can a wife remove items from jointly owned property a year after a divorce if the ex-husband has refused to comply?
A: More information is needed for any attorney to properly answer your question. Specifically, an attorney would need to know what the orders as to personal items, disposition of that jointly owned real estate, etc. As such, the answer at this point has to be, "maybe."
Q. after being married for 22 years, and divorced almost 5, can I claim any SS from my ex husband. I am 55 years old.
A: This is a questions probably better suited for either the SS administration or a social security attorney. That being said, my understanding is that if you have been married for a certain amount of time and have paid into SS for 40 quarters on your own, you can elect to either draw SS based on your own or can elect to draw under your ex-husband. I believe in that instance you could draw up to half of what he gets, which doesn't affect what he gets at all. The divorce court has no control or bearing over this and the decision is really which avenue will provide you more monthly income. Again, you should contact SS administration or an SS attorney to get a more concrete answer.
Q. My wife will not let me see my son. What are my rights as a dad?
A: If there are no court orders in place she, unfortunately, does not have to let you see your son. If there are no court orders in place, the only way to force her to let you see your child is to file for custody or divorce and go through then process. A court will not look favorably upon her for unjustifiably withholding your son. If there are no court orders and no case filed and your son is school aged, there is nothing legally preventing you from going to school to get him or see him. Just be smart about how you approach that.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Plog & Stein P.C.
DTC Office
6021 S Syracuse Way
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Telephone: (303) 781-0322
Plog & Stein P.C.
North Denver Office
12303 Airport Way
Broomfield, CO 80021
Telephone: (303) 781-0322