Free Consultation: (619) 251-0970Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sandy Lynne Meade

Sandy Lynne Meade

San Diego County Family Law & Divorce Attorney
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawg Search

Sandy L. Meade has over 20 years of experience practicing law in California. Through open communication and a commitment toward the empowerment of her clients, Sandy has earned an outstanding reputation among both colleagues and clients for her professional and compassionate approach to family law.

Practice Areas
Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
Family Law
Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights , Victims Rights
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Offices of Sandy Meade
- Current
Associate Attorney
Law Offices of Jon Rigney
Basie & Fritz
Western Sierra Law School
Law Degree
Placeholder image for education.
Top Ten Family Law Attorneys
San Diego Source Magazine
Too 10 Family Law Attorneys
San Diego Source Magazine
Professional Associations
California State Bar  # 207726
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
San Diego Divorce & Family Law Attorney
San Diego Divorce & Family Law Blog
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered
Q. There is a woman submitted to the court to request a divorce.
A: The man will want to file a response/objection to the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. He may wish to consult with an attorney to make a special appearance on his behalf based on "lack of jurisdiction". Since he was already legally married 13 years ago, and assuming that marriage was properly recorded and no dissolution obtained, a second "marriage" would not be legal. It appears the woman is trying to impose a "common law marriage" by claiming to have lived with the man for 8 years and having his children. I do not believe California is a common law marriage state, but does recognize legally-binding common law marriages from other states. Since the woman lacks a marriage certificate of any kind, and the man can produce proof he is legally married to someone else, he should probably file a "Special Appearance" objection/motion for dismissal of the action based on fraud and lack of jurisdiction. The woman may have valid claims for child support if any of her children are his biologically. That would be a separate matter. I would recommend a demand for DNA testing should she file for that unless the man knows the children are his. If he did live with this woman for 8 years and held himself out to be her husband, there could be a civil claim for one-half of all assets the two acquired during the time they lived together. I would strongly suggest you contact an experienced family law attorney in the county in which the action was filed to address this complex situation. ... Read More
Q. I can't file a motion for her to change her name back?
A: I'm sorry. This question comes up often, and it is never fun to explain that you have no power over whether or not she keeps her name as is or changes it. It is HER name so SHE gets to decide what name she wants to use. Often people keep their married name because it matches their children's last name or because all their documents like driver's license, passport, business license, business i.d, etc. are all in the married name and it's easier to keep it. If it helps, there are lots of people with my last name that I do not even know. If it is really a sore spot for you, you can always formally change your own name to something else (but I suspect this is a family name you wish to keep). Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but remember you probably don't want someone else changing your name either so the rule protects everyone in a way. Hope this helps a little. ... Read More
Q. In the process of divorce, been living as married since 1998, married in 2012,will that be considered in dividing assest
A: Yes, you do have an equitable claim and even a civil claim under a MARVIN action (which you may have to file separately or can often be incorporated into settlement of your divorce case). There is a statute of limitations for a MARVIN action, so you need to consult with a local family and civil law attorney(s) immediately. If you are dealing with an ethical family law attorney and they know you both purchased the house together using both your combined incomes, they should be willing to work with you to divide the net proceeds of sale of the house equally/fairly (the facts of your case may change the amount of co-ownership and the title being in his name only creates a presumption that you must overcome, but it is not the only factor in considering ownership). For instance, If you and your spouse co-mingled all your monies and lived as a married couple prior to marriage, saved together for assets, and then acquired assets including real property prior to marriage in anticipation of marriage, then you have a strong argument for an equal interest in all assets and debts acquired during your cohabitation as well as your marriage (including the house). Even if you cannot afford an attorney, you should contact a local family law attorney to advise you of your rights (many will provide a free or low-cost consultation to at least arm you with more information). Good luck however you proceed. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Sandy Meade
1901 First Avenue
Suite 217D
San Diego, CA 92101
Telephone: (619) 251-0970
Cell: (619) 251-0970
San Diego Location
2187 Haller Street
San Diego, CA 92104
Telephone: (619) 251-0970
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.