Free Consultation: (510) 465-0404Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sally J. Elkington

Sally J. Elkington

Helping Good People with Bad Problems
  • Bankruptcy
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Sally Elkington and James Shepherd are partners at Elkington Shepherd LLP. We file chapters 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcies. We represent Creditors on a case by case basis. We prosecute and defend lawsuits that are filed in Bankruptcy Court. Both of us are "hands on" attorneys. You will deal with us directly on your matter. Between the two of us we have over 40 years of bankruptcy experience. Our office is located in downtown Oakland with ample parking and 1/2 block from BART. Remember, Bankruptcy is not an end, it is a beginning.

Practice Area
Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
  • Free Consultation
    We provide a free in office consultation to discuss your situation and give you all of your options, which may or may not include filing a bankruptcy.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    We accept debt cards and third party credit.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
9th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Judicial Nominations Evaluation Commission
The Judicial Nominations Evaluation Commission (JNE Commissiion) is appointed by the Board of Trustees of the California State Bar. The JNE Commission investigates, interviews and evaluates nominees to the Superior and the Court of Appeals of California. The evaluations of this committee are sent to the Governor of California who reviews them before making Judicial Appointments.
Board President
Alameda County Bar Association
Presided over the Board of Directors of the Alameda County Bar Association. Served on the Board for four years prior to election as Board President.
New College School of Law of California
J.D. (1986) | Public Interest Law
Honors: Dean's List
Placeholder image for education.
San Francisco State University
B.S. (1983) | Speech and Communication Studies
Honors: Dean's List
Placeholder image for education.
Guardian of Justice
Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation
Received recognition from 2011 to 2016.
Pro Bono Leadership Award
Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation
Myron Sankary Attorney of the Year sponsored by the California State Bar Solo and Small Business section
Attorney of the Year
Professional Associations
Alameda County Bar Association
President in 2012
Placeholder image for professional associations.
California State Bar  # 142619
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Corporation
Bankruptcy Clinic Supervisor
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Judicial Nominations Evaluation Commission
Activities: Evaluating and recommending Judicial candidates for the Governor in all counties of California.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Bankruptcy Basics for Low Income Clients, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Practising Law Institute (PLI)
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered
Q. Am I allowed to sign my house over to my kid if I declare bankruptcy?
A: If you declare a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, your assets must remain in your name, unless you get permission from the Court to transfer the asset. Also, you should not transfer assets prior to filing without speaking to a bankruptcy attorney to ascertain all of the possible consequences

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you should not transfer assets out of your name prior to bankruptcy and you are not allowed to while you are in bankruptcy. Again, you need to speak to a bankruptcy attorney prior to changing title to any of your property, or you could find yourself losing assets that you intend on keeping.
Q. What is the maximum of checking accounts you may have?
A: There is no limit to the number of bank accounts you can have when filing a bankruptcy. Although in your bankruptcy you must list each account on Schedule B,. and state the amount in each account on the date you file the bankruptcy..
Q. How much is the fee for bankruptcy
A: There is no one answer to this question, as you can see from the previous answers. How much you are charged will depend on whether you are doing a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 (of Chapter 11, which isn't very likely). Also, it depends on the attorney to whom you are speaking. My advise to you is not to pick an attorney by the amount they charge, unless it is so much you just can't afford it. Look at the attorney's years in practice, how much bankruptcy work they do, do you like them and trust them from the consult they provide. You certainly should shop around and speak to several attorneys, but how much they charge should not be your only, or top consideration. Good Luck.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
409 13th street, 10th Floor
The Historic Tribune Tower
Oakland, CA 94612
Telephone: (510) 465-0404
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.