Mercedes CanoLaw Office of Mercedes S. Cano
- Business Law, Criminal Law, Divorce ...
- New York
Mercedes S. Cano is the sole proprietor of the Law Office of Mercedes S. Cano. She has extensive experience in the area of immigration law, and more specifically in matters that involve deportation, political asylum and family petitions. She has represented and obtained green cards for immigrants who have been allegedly abused by United States citizens or permanent legal residents. Ms. Cano has successfully represented immigrants in immigration courts in and out of New York State, and has filed appeals for the Board of Immigration Appeals for those in deportation proceedings. Ms. Cano is also an experienced criminal defense attorney in New York State criminal courts. She has successfully represented immigrant clients in criminal courts, where there is often an intersection, sometimes fatal, between immigration and criminal law.
As a general practitioner, Ms. Cano has over twelve years of experience in real estate and business transactions. Over the years, through her work with the immigrant community, Ms. Cano realized the special need that immigrant entrepreneurs and small business owners have for expert guidance and information in order for their small businesses to thrive. Entrepreneurial small business owners face tremendous challenges in today’s market; this is especially true for immigrants. Our business services are provided by a working group of attorneys, accountants and specialized professionals that will provide individualized assistance and valuable business information giving the immigrant micro-entrepreneur the tools to compete in today’s market. We will listen to your business needs, study, research and consult with other professionals, if needed, in order to tailor the assistance your business needs.
From starting a business, improving or partnering to expand your investment, signing a contract, enforcing the payment on a contract or just simply understanding an offer, a consultation with us may prevent protracted and costly litigation on your business.
In addition, if your business issues demand it, our services are given to you only after our working group of attorneys, and consultants (that may include accountants, financial planners, and bankers, not for profit organizations), study and contribute with innovative and professional solutions.
Let us review your lease before you sign it or negotiate how to get out of one that prevents your business from expanding; review the purchase of that automobile (taxi, truck) before the actual purchase; work with you step-by-step as you grow or make improvements in your small business. Please check our SERVICES page for more information.
- Business Law
- Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
- Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
- Family Law
- Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
- Immigration Law
- Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
- General Civil
- New York
- English: Spoken, Written
- Spanish: Spoken, Written
- Sole Proprietor
- Law Office of Mercedes S. Cano
- - Current
- The City University of New York School of Law
- J.D. (1999)
- Citation for Exemplary Service to the community
- New York State Assembly
- Women's History Month Honoree
- Mayor Bloomberg's NYC Women: Make it Here, Make it Happen
- March 1, 2011 - Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today launched “NYC Women: Make it Here, Make it Happen” a video series produced by the City’s Commission on Women’s Issues in collaboration with NYC Media, the official network of the City of New York, to shine the spotlight on extraordinary women of New York City. The series, which will air on NYC life (Channel 25) during Women’s History Month, will feature 31 stories of triumph in one-minute videos each day in the month of March. Every video will also appear on nyc.gov accompanied by a link to a City or nonprofit resource that can help women throughout New York City achieve similar success. On March 8th at 10pm, NYC life will also air a thirty-minute special focused on five women making a difference in New York. The Mayor announced the launch of “NYC Women: Make it Here, Make it Happen” at an event held at the Museum of Modern Art, where he was joined by MoMA President Marie-Josée Kravis, Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment (MOME) Commissioner Katherine Oliver, Commission on Women’s Issues Chair Anne Sutherland Fuchs, Executive Director Briana Collins, and Mercedes Cano of the Law Offices of Mercedes S. Cano.
- Echoing Green Fellowship Recipient
- Echoing Green
- 2-year grant given to passionate individuals with demonstrated ability to overcome obstacles, to launch non-profit organizations to promote positive change.
- Initiative for Public Interest at Yale University
- One year grant to recently graduated individuals to provide service to the community.
- New York State Bar  # 3009339
- - Current
- Latino lawyers Association of Queens County
- Third Vice President
- - Current
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- - Current
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense
- - Current
- Public Interest Practice Section: Notes From the Field: Challenges of Indigent Criminal Defense
- New York City Law Review (Fall 2008)
There are no recently viewed profiles.
There are no saved profiles.
There are no profiles to compare.