Free Consultation: (615) 606-3903Tap to Call This Lawyer
Marjorie A Bristol

Marjorie A Bristol

  • Juvenile Law, Education Law, Family Law...
  • Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Marjorie began her legal career representing individuals sentenced to death in challenging their death sentences at the Office of the Post-Conviction Defender. Later, she spent almost four years working for the Tennessee Justice Center fighting for the rights of children and adults against Tennessee's Medicaid program.

Marjorie then spent time in private practice primarily representing children and families in juvenile court cases. Then she went to work for the Tennessee Department of Children's Services for more than 6 years where she served as the primary juvenile justice and education attorney, handled employment matters for the 4000 person agency, and advised the agency regarding its obligation to preserve families.

Practice Areas
  • Juvenile Law
  • Education Law
  • Family Law
  • Environmental Law
  • Civil Rights
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    I accept contingent fees on some (but not all) civil rights cases.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I usually don't charge for travel.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • French
  • German
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
J.D. (1999) | Law
Honors: Cum Laude, Dean's Citation
Activities: Law Review, Moot Court Board, Pro Bono Project
Maryville College
B.A. (1990) | English
Websites & Blogs
The Law Office of Marjorie A. Bristol
Legal Answers
303 Questions Answered

Q. does my child have to finish out probation he got at 17yrs old now that he is 18
A: If it was for a delinquent offense, yes. If it was for a status or unruly offense, probably not. You should consult an attorney just to be sure though.
Q. Child custody
A: She may be able to enroll you in school with a power of attorney for child care. You can find that form on the internet. Some school systems do not accept a power of attorney (even though they should in my opinion). If the school system won't take the power of attorney, then she might need to obtain custody.
Q. If I have full custody and my court papers one over night visit a week as agreed by parents what does it mean
A: Without seeing the exact language, I would say that the other parent is supposed to have one overnight visit per week. The two of you would need to agree on the date. This type of language is usually included in custody orders where a parent works nights to accommodate the parent's work schedule.
Q. My son mom never shows up to court for custody and child support hearings. I want custody and he lived with me for 2 yrs
A: You need an attorney. If she has notice of the hearing, then you may be able to proceed without her there.
Q. From Knox. TN. 29. We have a almost 2yr old. How does the child tax credit work if ur separated but never been married?
A: If there is no court order saying otherwise, the mother is the sole custodian of the child if the parents are not married. Unfortunately, tax laws rely on who cared for the child more days in the year. You should consult a tax professional to see who is entitled to claim the child.
Q. The mother and new husband of my boyfriends kids is moving out of state to Bristol VA without sending us any paper
A: You can hire a lawyer who can ask the court for an order prohibiting her taking the kids out of state.
Q. There trying to charge me with felony child neglect. What to do?
A: You need an attorney. I would look for an attorney who is familiar with child abuse and neglect cases. If you can't afford one, ask the court to appoint one for you.
Q. How can I establish guardianship of my grand daughter's while their mother is incarcerated
A: You can file a petition with the juvenile court or the mother can sign a power of attorney. You should discuss the facts with an attorney to help you decide which course of action is best.
Q. im 18 years old and my dad has been keeping my bank card and he wont give it to me and im moving out what do i do
A: Go to the bank and ask for a new one. They will cancel the one your dad has and issue a new one. Some can even give you a temporary card on the spot.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
The Law Office of Marjorie A. Bristol
919 Conference Dr.
Suite 4-324
Goodlettsville, TN 37072
Telephone: (615) 606-3903