Free Consultation: (708) 349-8900Tap to Call This Lawyer
Marilyn  Johnson

Marilyn Johnson

Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
  • Family Law, Divorce, Criminal Law...
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Marilyn Johnson is a partner at Johnson & Johnson, Ltd. She has been practicing law for over 30 years, concentrating in the areas of divorce, custody, support, and visitation. She has conducted numerous trials and hearings involving large marital estates and complex child custody issues. Prior to practicing law, Marilyn Johnson was a special education teacher who worked with children with learning disabilities and emotional and behavioral problems. Her vast experience as a lawyer, teacher, and mother has enabled her to acquire a deep, compassionate understanding of the family unit, which has enabled her to counsel clients through the most difficult times.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Criminal Law
  • Bankruptcy
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Personal Injury
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Free Consultation
    Free initial consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit card accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Accept Bitcoin
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State of Illinois Supreme Court
United States District Court for Northern District of Illinois
  • English
Professional Experience
Legal Partner
Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
- Current
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
J.D. (1979) | Law
Chicago State University
M.S. (1975) | Special Education
University of Illinois - Chicago
B.A. (1971) | Education
Professional Associations
State Bar of Illinois # 3125286
Advocates Society
Will County Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
Legal Answers
13 Questions Answered

Q. Vacated Order of Protection, but my parenting time is still restricted. What can I do?
A: If the restrictions were ordered in the Order of Protection and it was vacated then there are no restrictions for your parenting time. However, the supervised parenting time order was entered in the divorce then you need to petition the divorce court to remove the supervision.
Q. At what age can my daughter tell a judge she doesn’t want to see her bio-father?
A: You should file a Petition to Modify the Parenting Time and include all of your allegations in it. There is no age certain in Illinois that a child can make a decision as to whether or not she wants to see her father, but you can petition the court for an in camera interview with the court. The court may grant your motion then the court can interview your child. The court could also appoint a child representative or a GAL that will talk to your daughter.
Q. Looking for a divorce attorney I thought I was divorced and come to find out its been brought back to court
A: You need to check your divorce file at the Clerk of Court's office to find out exactly what is pending in your case. You have a short marriage so if there is any maintenance owed by either you or your spouse it should probably be for a short period of time unless you are referring to child support. Your poor health is a factor that the court will consider among many others.
Q. She hasn't, lived with me for over a yr now can i claim she abandoned me and she cant get house are car I just bought
A: There is no longer the ground of abandonment in the state of Illinois. The grounds are irreconcilable differences. As long as you are married , all property acquired during the marriage is considered to be marital property. If you purchased the car and the house with marital funds then your spouse will have an interest in that property. However, if you purchased the car and the house with nonmarital funds then your spouse will not have an interest in that property. Nonmarital property is property acquired by gift or inheritance. You should consult with an attorney because these are general rules and there are exceptions depending on the particular facts in each case.
Q. My son's baby's mother is trying to move out of state with him my son does not one his son to go what does he have to do
A: Your son needs to immediately file a petition with the court to establish his paternity. He also needs to obtain a restraining order prohibiting the mother from leaving the state so that the matter is litigated in Illinois.
Q. Can dcfs prevent me from moving?
A: You most definitely should not leave the state until the matter is resolved in court. If your boyfriend is abusive you should probably file a Petition for Order of Protection.
Q. I have a confusing situation and a few questions to ask.
A: Yes, your former husband can get a withholding order for child support and serve it on your employer. You should appear in court on each and every court if you do not have an attorney. You should inform the court of your situation with your children as it can effect the child support amount. You certainly do not have to cook for your former husband or do errands for him as this will not effect the amount of child support that you may be ordered to pay.
Q. My wife dissipated her 401k, and the divorce is now finalized. Can I still file a dissipation claim?
A: You no longer have a claim of dissipation once the judgment is entered. This is an issue that should have been before the trial court. Dissipation is not always easy to prove to the court and in Illinois the statute regarding dissipation must be strictly complied with so that notice is given on a timely basis.
Q. Mt ex filed for child support ok cool but says I can’t be dad bc he has one already I live in Illinois them in Missouri
A: you need to file an appearance in the case and request that a DNA test be taken to establish paternity.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
16536 S 106th Ct
Orland Park, IL 60467
Telephone: (708) 349-8900
Fax: (708) 349-8910
Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
920 W 175th Street
Ste 1NW
Homewood, IL 60430
Telephone: (708) 799-3100
Fax: (708) 799-7456
Law Offices of Johnson & Johnson, Ltd.
15 W Jefferson St
Ste 100
Joliet, IL 60432
Telephone: (815) 723-8800
Fax: (815) 723-8802