Free Consultation: (931) 388-7144Tap to Call This Lawyer
Leonard Robert Grefseng

Leonard Robert Grefseng

Experienced diligent general practice lawyer serving southern Middle Tennessee
  • Divorce, Family Law, Business Law...
  • Tennessee, Tennessee
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

A native of Birmingham, Alabama, Mr. Grefseng attended the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) on an athletic scholarship (football) graduating, cum laude in 1979. He was named to the "Academic All South Eastern Conference" honor roll in 1978. Upon graduation, he attended law school at the University of Mississippi graduating in the top third of his class in May of 1982. Upon graduation, he served as the law clerk for Judge Roy Noble Lee of the Mississippi Supreme Court. He was admitted to practice law in the State of Tennessee in 1984 and relocated to Columbia, Maury County and has been engaged in the private practice of law since that time. Mr. Grefseng is a member and past President of the Maury County Bar Association, and a member of the Tennessee Bar Association. Mr. Grefseng is married to Melinda Grefseng (formerly Melinda F. Bunch), and they have one child, Samuel. Mr. Grefseng has participated in a number of civic activities including the past President of the Maury County Kiwanis Club, former Elder of Zion of Presbyterian Church (PCA), and former Director and past Chairmen of the Board of Zion Christian Academy.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Real Estate Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Personal Injury
Additional Practice Area
  • Car Accidents
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
University of Mississippi
J.D. / Law (1982)
Honors: top third of Class
Activities: Moot Court Board
University of Mississippi
B.A. / Public Administration (1979)
Honors: Cum Laude
Professional Associations
Tennessee State Bar # 010778
Maury County Bar Association
Past President
- Current
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
562 Questions Answered

Q. If someone uses money from a minor that they inherited without their knowledge do they have a case against them?
A: Yes, there is definitely a case for "breach of fiduciary duty" if the facts are as you described. If the minor has now reached adulthood, they only have a limited time to bring the suit. Consult an experienced lawyer asap.
Q. What can my friend do when the judicial system won't make her ex pay alimony?
A: Regrettably, it is not the Judge's job to collect or force payment- he is there only to rule on disputed issues. It sounds like the ex is retired ( getting a GM pension) so I assume he is not currently employed, If he is working somewhere, garnish ( this means filing a form with the court clerk who then sends it to the employer) his wages. I assume she already has a "judgment" for the past due alimony- if so, she can also "execute" or file a "levy" to collect the judgment - these are terms for the process where the sherrif can go out, seize assets ( his car?) and then conduct a public auction to sell the item and give her the sales proceeds. Note, the Sheriff doesn't do these things- she does, she has to provide the info to the sheriff about what to seize, where it is located, ( provide the tow truck if a car is being seized, etc). The Sheriff just serves the "paperwork and keeps the peace. Look for a lawyer who might take it on a contingency or percentage basis. Pension funds can be attached through a "QDRO" ( this is an abbreviation) but it is highly technical. Sorry, but a lawyer is going to be essential.
Q. I hired a lawyer who did not complete his job. Do i still have to pay him
A: You should report the lawyers' behavior to his boss at the law firm and to the state agency that governs lawyers. In TN, the agency is called the "Board of Professional Responsibility."
Q. I moved from Maryland to Tennessee. Will our previous divorce/ child support change if he moves to TN also?
A: The move, by itself will not cause the support to change. However, if by moving to TN, he is able to spend more time with the children, and the parenting time schedule changes, then that could be the basis/reason for the child support to be re-calculated. The Tennessee child support guidelines take into consideration the number of days each parent has wit the children as part of the formula for setting child support.
Q. My parenting plan states that all overnight stays with me must be at my parents house. How can i change this?
A: This is hard to answer because you don't explain why the Judge required this in the beginning ( or did you agree to it in an agreed parenting plan?) In order to change it, you must be able to prove in court that whatever reason this was required now no longer exists. Certainly, if you are living with your parents, you should not attempt to modify this until you have your own place, and make sure your place is clean, safe, etc and the child has a place to sleep. Modifying the plan requires you to file a petition (papers with the court clerk ) which explain what is to be modified. Most parenting plans require that before going back to court, you have to attempt mediation. Is it possible that your ex might agree to the change if you can show him you have a decent place on your own? Get your parenting plan out and read it through carefully. I strongly suggest you hire a lawyer to help you.
Q. What constitutes a tenant or any other form of occupier of a dwelling that requires eviction in Hamilton county TN.....
A: This question comes up repeatedly. A tenant pays rent, a guest does not. A tenant, if there is no written lease, has a "periodic tenancy" based on how often they pay rent -if they pay weekly, it is a week to week lease, if they pay monthly, it is a month to month lease, etc. On the other hand, a guest is simply there by permission, and permission can be withdrawn at any time. If I allow a door to door salesman to come in and demonstrate his goods, I can ask him to leave at any time. A guest does not acquire rights by virtrue of being allowed to stay there for any length of time. On the other hand, a guest will be allowed a "reasonable time" to get their things and move out and what is reasonable will depend on the particular circumstances of each case.
Q. Can I move back in my house?
A: In my opinion, yes. if the property is jointly owned, you have just as much right to be there as he does. However, you moved out and have been gone long enough for anyone to think you are not coming back. As a result, he may have changed the locks, and if he has, I don't think you have the right to break in. You could be charges with vandalism or something worse if you damage the property breaking in. It sounds like your marital problems are NOT over, and just taking action without a mutual agreement is a good way to make things worse. I suggest you talk with him and try to convince him to agree to let you come home and start over.
Q. I've been separated (not legally) and living apart from my wife for 4 yrs, but she wants to put stipulations on me?
A: Yes, some Judges will approve a provision keeping overnight guests of the opposite sex from being in the residence when the children are present. You need to get a divorce. Once you are divorced, the other spouse doesn't have as much say about your relationships ( she can complain, but the court won't get involved unless she can prove the children have been negatively affected by the relationship).
Q. Will my child support amount change if i have a new baby to take care of?
A: Possibly, the calculations should be re-done. Either parent is allowed some credit for having other children to support, whether the child lives with the parent or lives with the other parent. However, this credit may or may not result in a large difference in the support - in order for the support payment to be modified, the amount of support must change by at least 15% ( anything less than that is considered insignificant). The child support calculator program is available online, so you can download the program and experiment with the figures.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Telephone: (931) 388-7144
Fax: (931) 388-7239