Free Consultation: (804) 358-0048Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jerry Lutkenhaus

Jerry Lutkenhaus

Rated Best Workers Comp & Disability Lawyer in Central Virginia
  • Social Security Disability, Workers' Compensation
  • Iowa, Virginia
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial MediaResponsive Law

Virginia Workers Compensation and Social Security Disability Attorney for over 35 years, rated "superb" by AVVO, and rated best workers compensation lawyer in Central Virginia in Richmond Magazine. I have been representing injured and disabled workers on their claims, appeals and disputes in the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission, Virginia Court of Appeals, Virginia Supreme Court, and the United States District Courts. Frequent lecturer for Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.

Practice Areas
  • Social Security Disability
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Jerry Lutkenhaus
- Current
Law Office dedicated to provide aggressive legal services for the injured and disabled worker in the areas of Virginia Workers Compensation & Social Security Disability
Managing Attorney
Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
University of Iowa
J.D. (1973) | Law
Activities: Student Legal Clinic
Iowa State University
B.S. | History and English
Honors: Phi Alpha Theta Honorary
Highest Rating for Legal Excellence AV
Martindale Hubbell
This reflects their highest rating for legal ability & ethics.
Superb Rating 10.0
Service Award
West Richmond Rotary
Slected as Best Attorney for Workers Compensation in Central Virginia
Richmond Magazine
This was based on a survey of 2,000 lawyers in the Richmond area.
Service Award
Central Virginia Legal Aid Society
Professional Associations
Virginia Workers' Compensation Inns of Court
- Current
Henrico Bar Association
- Current
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
National Organization of Social Security Represenatives
- Current
Richmond Bar Association
- Current
Virginia State Bar
- Current
Iowa State Bar Association
- Current
West Richmond Rotary
Committee Chairman
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Guest Lecturer
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Adjunct Professor
Articles & Publications
Social Security Tips for Workers Compensation Lawyers
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Virginia Workers Compensation Tips
Speaking Engagements
Social Security Disability for Workers Compensation Lawyers, VTLA, Richmond, VA
Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Social Security Representative
Nationial Organization of Social Security Representatives
Legal Answers
199 Questions Answered

Q. Can you loose your Lifetime medical award ?
A: In a way yes, if the authorized doctor says you no longer need medical care for your injury, then that is the effective end of your medical coverage. You can also lose medical care if you refuse medical care that could correct your medical problem. If losing medical care is an issue, you should contact an experienced WC lawyer to discuss your case.
Q. Injured on the job and haven't missed any time from work can you still file for wage loss benefits
A: If you were injured on the job and have not missed any time from work, then you cannot file for any wage loss benefits because you have "not" suffered any wage loss. You should contact the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission and make sure your a medical award is entered in your case. You can contact the Commission at 1-877-664-2566. You can file your claim on line.
Q. If my workers' compensation claim doesn't get approved, can I choose then to sue my employer for a personal injury if I
A: If your employer had workers compensation insurance that covered your accident, then your sole remedy for your injury at work is workers compensation. If your claim is denied, then you can ask for a hearing before the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission. You do not have a right to sue your employer for negligence. You only have that right if the employer does not have workers compensation insurance.
Q. When traditional methods of treatment don't work surgery is proposed what other options do you have if you don't want
A: You can try alternative methods such as physical therapy, aquatic therapy, chiropractors, accupunture, pain management, dry needling, spinal stimulator, etc. If you need more advice you should contact an experienced workers compensation lawyer.
Q. Received lifetime medical for my injury almost two years ago exactly 18 months. Seeing Ortho surgeon for a year. Tkr
A: I take it that you have an AWARD for lifetime medical benefits for your injury from the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission. If the proposed surgery is just proposed as an "option" then it may not be something you have to do. You should contact an experienced workers compensation lawyer to check on your rights in this matter.
Q. In Va, can you still win a woman's comp case if the tox screen shows that you had alcohol in your bloodstream?
A: It depends. If the alcohol helped cause your accident, then the insurance company can try to deny your claim asserting your misconduct (drinking alcohol) caused the accident. You need to call an experienced workers compensation lawyer to discuss your case if you have a serious injury.
Q. I was injured at work last year had two surgery since an keep getting messed up with my payments
A: You seem to have a complicated situation. You would best be served by retaining an experienced workers compensation lawyer to assist you. I have over 35 years experience. I will be out of my office until Friday.
Q. I have a relative who was injured on job 6 months ago and major surgery was required.
A: Your relative should have filed a claim with the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission. That number is 1-877-664-2566. Your relative should have been paid for the time out of work by the employer's workers compensation insurance company. If the proposed Light Duty Job pays less than his pre-injury wage, then the workers' compensation insurance company should pay two thirds (2/3) of the difference between his pre-injury wage and the Light Duty Wages. He may be well-advised to consult an experienced workers' compensation lawyer.
Q. Can workers comp deny my claim of a broken bone when it was not broke before?
A: If this is a Virginia claim, you can file a Claim for Benefits with the Virginia Workers Compensation Commission at 1-877-664-2566. That being said if you had a pre-existing condition, then the insurer often uses this as an excuse not to pay the claim.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
4906 Fitzhugh Ave
Suite 201
Richmond, VA 23230
Telephone: (804) 358-0048