James Joseph Falcone

James Joseph Falcone

Law Office of James J. Falcone
  • Real Estate Law, Business Law
  • California
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldBlawgsearchSocial Media
Practice Areas
  • Real Estate Law
  • Business Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Eastern District
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Northern District
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
- Current
Balfrey & Abbott
U.S. Forest Service, Shasta-Trinity National Forest
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
J.D. (1987) | Law
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Logo
University of Maine
B.S. (1978) | Forest Management
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
State Bar of California # 131235
Activities: Real Property Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Foreclosure of California Commercial & Investment Properties-Five Steps To Determine if Your Loan is Non-Recourse
JD Supra
Sue 1st, Negotiate Later; When a California Landlord Risks Being Sued After Settling a Dispute With Their Tenant
What are the Tax Consequences of Residentail Foreclosures & Short Sales?
California Residential Foreclosures- How to determine whether your loan is non-recourse, or if you will remain personally liable for the debt.
The Commercial Landlord / Lessor’s Simple Guide to The Bankrupt Tenant
Speaking Engagements
Legal Aspects of Starting a Business, S.C.O.R.E. - Starting a Business
Legal Answers
11 Questions Answered

Q. Should disclosure documents be excluded from the sale agreement to get a loan?
A: If the transaction qualifies under California law to require a TDS, the requirement cannot be waived. A loan application generally does not require these documents. This does not sound like a legitimate request. You should consult with a California real estate attorney.
Q. Can you change title names on home while on SSI?
A: There is no restriction on changing title, but it may affect your SSI eligibility. You may need to consult with an attorney.
Q. Can I hire someone to be my tenants new point person? I'm the landlord, but find them infuriating to deal with.
A: You could hire someone as a property manager; this is a common practice with rental properties. Once the tenants are properly notified, the manager may step in and handle the situation.
Q. If I singed a contract with a real estate broker in CA and the court ordered him to list the house "Forthwith" and he
A: More importantly, this sounds like a violation of a court order. If the broker was properly before the court and ordered to do something, failure to do it is contempt of court. You should consult an attorney regarding bringing the matter back before the judge.
Q. House under contract to sell, and now one of the two owners is in disagreement about how to distribute sale proceeds.
A: What the title and escrow company does is up to them, but if they receive conflicting escrow instructions from the two owners they may not be able to close the sale. If you cannot reach an agreement with the co-owner, the solution of last resort is a lawsuit for Partition, in which the court orders the property sold, and the court determines how the money is split.
Q. My "ex" is requesting to take me off the deed of the house we bought during our marriage, can I ask to be taken off loan
A: The Court cannot require the lender to remove you from the loan. You may have to seek an alternative -have her refinance the property would be best if she could qualify for the loan. Ultimately, you might need to ask the court to order the property sold and the loan paid off, otherwise you will be on the hook for the debt until paid.
Q. If homestead property is inherited by a son, does the homestead rights get transferred as well.
A: The California statutory homestead exemption applies to any owner of property; Once title is in your name, it applies to you.
Q. The seller, and the buyer have signed a counter offer. The purchase agreement seller didn't sign can seller back out?
A: Your question is incomplete- you state that the seller signed the counter - did they accept the counter, or just acknowledge receipt of it? Also, what is the difference between the "seller," and the "purchase agreement seller?"
Q. Can a lender record a deed of trust vested differently from the title to the property?
A: Such a document can be recorded, but it may cause issues for the lender in the future if they want to conduct a foreclosure. However this should not be a concern to the owner, though; if they sell the property, the loan would be paid off. If the buyer assumes the old loan instead, however, their title insurer may list the issue as an exception. Disclaimer The content of this comment contains general information based on California law and is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. You require specific legal advice and should not rely on general information provided in response to a question posted online. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the matter and for any specific legal advice.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
300 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814
Telephone: (916) 442-4204