Ilene Stacey King

Ilene Stacey King

Law Office of Ilene Stacey King
  • Workers' Compensation
  • South Carolina
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

After practicing for over 30 years as a member of a firm, in January 2016, I went solo! I am proud to continue to provide knowledgeable and experienced representation to injured workers in South Carolina Workers' Compensation claims. There's never a fee just to talk to me and see if I can help!

Practice Area
    Workers' Compensation
  • Does Not Currently Practice Law
  • Not Currently Accepting Clients
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New Jersey
New Jersey Courts
ID Number: 005471982
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
New York
New York State Office of Court Administration
ID Number: 1828524
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Law Office of Ilene Stacey King
- Current
Attorney/Head of Workers' Compensation Department
Turnipseed & Associates
Thornton Law Firm
Hanna Law Firm
New York Law School
J.D. (1982)
New York Law School Logo
Rutgers University - Newark
M.A. (1979) | Political Science
Honors: Political Science Honor Society
Rutgers University - Newark Logo
Ramapo College
B.A. (1977) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Injured Workers' Advocates
Member; President 2001-2002
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
South Carolina State Bar  # 003493
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Law Office of Ilene Stacey King
Legal Answers
54 Questions Answered
Q. Will I still get paid , in the state of South Carolina, if I call out of work due to pain from a light duty assignment?
A: No. You are unlikely to be paid workers comp benefits for calling in sick due to pain. You are entitled to be paid weekly benefits under SC workers' comp only if a doctor writes you completely out of work or places you at light duty and your employer fails to provide work within your restrictions. If you are unable to work within your restrictions, you will need to discuss your situation with the physician. You might benefit from having representation.
Q. My workers comp checks are coming in late and not on the days I usually get paid. What can I do about this?
A: There is no requirement that the check arrive on the same day as usual payroll and, although workers comp checks are supposed to be paid on a regular basis, there are many reasons why checks can get behind. Once payment starts, checks usually are processed on the same day of the week thereafter, but that date can change, and, there is also some leeway as to what constitutes on time vs. late payment. Checks are sometimes delayed for more or less legitimate reasons, such as pending receipt of the doctor's report or written work status. Holidays can delay the check as well. If you have a lawyer, your lawyer can speak with the adjuster and find out why your check is late and determine what action to take. If you are unrepresented, you would need to speak to the adjuster. If the situation isn't resolved, a hearing could be requested at the SC Workers Compensation Commission. ... Read More
Q. Should I have filed a civil lawsuit instead of a workers comp claim for a TFCC injury and surgery, details below!
A: From your question, I assume playing hockey is your job. That would have to be true for you to have a workers' comp claim for your injury. If you have a workers' comp claim (in other words, if you were injured while working) then workers' comp would be your only remedy. You would not have a civil lawsuit against your employer. If playing while injured made your injury worse, that is part of your workers' comp claim. A second surgery will mean you are entitled to continuing medical treatment until healed from the second surgery (it's called MMI - maximum medical improvement) and payment for additional time out of work. If you have a permanent problem from your injury you are entitled to be compensated for that (the rules are complicated as to how this works) and if the permanency is worse due to the second surgery, the extent of permanency will be part of your permanency compensation. Again, this is complicated, so speak with your lawyer about how it works. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Law Office of Ilene Stacey King
1803 Hampton Street
Cell: (803) 413-8163
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.