Free Consultation: (212) 520-2690Tap to Call This Lawyer
Elaine Shay

Elaine Shay

Elaine Shay, Esq.
  • Real Estate Law, Landlord Tenant, Appeals & Appellate ...
  • New York
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII BronzeSocial Media

A respected and skilled attorney with over 28 years of experience as a litigator representing clients before the Courts in the Bronx, Brooklyn, New York City and Queens. Ms. Shay is also a talented negotiator who understands her clients and works tirelessly to achieve their goals.

Her practice is primarily concentrated on real estate and housing matters, including evictions, nonpayment cases, holdover proceedings, HP cases, ejectments, partition actions, DHCR filings, PARs, commercial litigation, leasing, summary proceedings, property transfers, mortgage transactions, corporate governance, shareholder disputes and appeals.

Practice Areas
Real Estate Law
Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
Landlord Tenant
Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
Appeals & Appellate
Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
Business Law
Business Contracts, Business Dissolution, Business Finance, Business Formation, Business Litigation, Franchising, Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership & Shareholder Disputes
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Foreclosure Defense
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
    On selected overcharge complaints
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Elaine Shay, Esq.
FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority)
Adjunct Professor
Strayer University
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
J.D. (1989) | Law
Honors: Magna Cum Laude Graduate
Activities: Cardozo Law Review
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Logo
Pace University
B.A. (1985) | English
Pace University Logo
Top Contributor
Professional Associations
New York State Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
New York State Bar  # 2292225
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
644 Questions Answered
Q. My dad’s name was taken off the deed years ago. Is he still entitled to inherit if my Mom died years later w out a will
A: A surviving spouse is entitled to inherit. The information provided by the NYS Unified Court System at this link should be helpful to you:
Q. my landlord changed the key and i cant get in becouse she said she will call the cops if i do what do i do?:
A: Generally, if a tenant who has been illegally locked out calls the police, the police will require the landlord to provide access. If this doesn't work, you can go to your local housing court and start an illegal lock-out case to regain possession.
Q. I want to sue my neighbors, the seller's broker, and the seller
A: It's very unfortunate that you are having these issues with the property you so recently purchased. You are describing a complex issue that will require the examination of the documents executed at closing as well as other records to properly guide you. Therefore, it is not the type of question that can receive detailed guidance online. Instead, you should seek a consultation with an attorney to assist you.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Elaine Shay, Esq.
757 Third Avenue
20th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Telephone: (212) 520-2690
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.