Free Consultation: (864) 271-1822Tap to Call This Lawyer
Alton Lamar Martin Jr

Alton Lamar Martin Jr

Martin & Martin Attorneys, PA
  • Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Immigration Law
  • Georgia, South Carolina
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ConferencingQ&ASocial Media

We handle workers' compensation and serious personal injury claims throughout South Carolina. We also handle Immigration matters. Over the past 23 years, we have attended hundreds of hearings obtaining necessary medical treatment and other benefits for our clients, and recovering millions of dollars on their behalf. We have extensive experience with brain injury, spinal cord injury and other complex claims. We have helped many clients with Deferred Action, fiance' visas, work authorizations, and other family-based immigration issues. We have a Spanish-speaking paralegal on staff. Numerous lawyer rating services have given us the highest ratings, but it is our clients' satisfaction that we prize most.

Practice Areas
Personal Injury
Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Workers' Compensation
Immigration Law
Asylum, Citizenship, Deportation Defense, Family Visas, Green Cards, Immigration Appeals, Investment Visas, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas, Student Visas, Visitor Visas, Work Visas
Video Conferencing
  • Zoom
  • Microsoft Teams
  • WhatsApp
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultation for injury and accident claims
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
South Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
4th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Martin & Martin Attorneys, P.A.
- Current
Clarkson, Walsh, Rheney & Turner, P.A.
Associate Attorney
Edwards, Ballard, Bishop, Sturm, Clark and Keim, P.A.
Associate Attorney
Mitchell, Bouton, Yokel & McCall
Captain, JAG Corps
US Army, 82d Airborne Div
Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law
J.D. (1991) | Law
Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law Logo
The Citadel
B.A. (1987) | Political Science
The Citadel Logo
Super Lawyers
Thomson Reuters - Super Lawyers
Best Lawyers in America - Workers' Compensation
Best Lawyers
AV rating
Superb - 10.0 rating
National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
Professional Associations
Greenville County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Georgia State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
South Carolina Bar
- Current
Activities: Workers Compensation Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Understanding The New Workers' Compensation Legislation
SC Lawyer - Magazine of the SC Bar
Websites & Blogs
Martin & Martin Attorneys Website
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered
Q. I broke my knee and started having issues with back. Can I use my own doctor for another opinion?
A: Sorry to hear about your injury. The insurance company is entitled to direct medical care per SC law. Unfortunately, they sometimes choose doctors that are more concerned about sending you back to work than helping you. A second opinion could be a good option, but you need to jump through some hoops before getting it, or the insurance company will simply ignore it. I recommend you hire an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer in your area that can help you get to a different doctor that’s more interested in helping you get better. Most lawyers will provide a free consultation.
Q. I hernitated my l4-l5 disc back in 2017 ended up doing a ton of pt and 2 minor 1 major back surgery later and I have
A: I am sorry to hear about your difficulties. You should contact your attorney and have a very frank conversation. Let them know you are concerned about the legal representation you are receiving. Tell them that you are concerned about the amount of the recovery and the affect your injuries have had on you. Ask them to explain to you the reasons your recovery is limited. It may be that your attorney is recovering the maximum amount allowed under SC Workers' Compensation for your injuries. Oftentimes a busy attorney may not provide the level of detail a client would like, but that does not mean what they are telling you is inaccurate. Hopefully, your attorney will be able to put your mind at ease. After you have spoken with your attorney about all these issues, if you are still not comfortable with their explanations or you continue to have significant concerns about their legal representation, you can tell them you would like to seek legal counsel with another law firm. ... Read More
Q. WCI is refusing to pay for the surgery that the doctor they sent my husband to has recommended. What are our options?
A: Sorry to hear about your husband's injury. What you are describing is not uncommon. The insurance adjuster disregards the medical professional's advice because surgery is more expensive than physical therapy. If your husband has surgery, then he will be written out of work while he recovers from surgery and the insurance company will have to pay him for lost time. If he goes to physical therapy the adjuster can keep making him go to work (sit at a desk) and doesn't have to pay any lost time. If your husband tries to refuse physical therapy, the adjuster will claim he is refusing care and stop paying anything. If he goes to physical therapy his knee is damaged more. The only way to address this is by hiring an attorney. An attorney can refuse physical therapy on your husband's behalf because of the need for surgery. A deposition of the doctor will confirm physical therapy will damage your husband's knee more. Your attorney can request a hearing to address the adjusters unreasonable behavior. At age 61, your husband has Social Security and Medicare issues to take into consideration. It's also possible that your husband will have an Age Discrimination Act (ADA) claim if his employer is deliberately trying to get rid of him. There are several excellent Workers Compensation lawyers in the Rock Hill area. You and your husband should meet with one as soon as possible. I hope he makes a swift recovery. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Martin & Martin Attorneys, P.A.
1415 Augusta St
Greenville, SC 29605
Telephone: (864) 271-1822
Fax: (864) 271-1814
Monday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Notice: Currently, due to the limitations imposed by COVID19, we are assisting clients by telephone, email, and video chat. Our office is open to our staff only. We appreciate your understanding. Stay Safe.
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.