Free Consultation: (800) 737-3702Tap to Call This Lawyer
William Lee Pfeifer Jr

William Lee Pfeifer Jr

  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Divorce...
  • Alabama
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

William L. Pfeifer, Jr., (Bill Pfeifer) is an Alabama appellate lawyer representing clients all over the State of Alabama. He is a former staff attorney to the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals, and has been practicing law since 1993. To learn more about his law practice, visit

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • White Collar Crime
  • Free Consultation
    There is no charge to discuss retaining us for your case. Fees may be charged if you are seeking legal advice so that you can handle a matter on your own.
  • Contingent Fees
    Contingent fee agreements may be used in cases such as car accidents, products liability claims, and wrongful death.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Some cases are handled on an hourly fee basis, while others are charged as a flat fee. Contact our office to obtain an estimate on the fees required for handling your case. Contingent fees apply only in cases involving personal injury. Our primary area of law practice is Alabama appellate law.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
J.D. (1993) | law
Honors: Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society; John A. Campbell Moot Court Board; Farrah Law Society Scholarship; Board of Editors of the Law & Psychology Review
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa Logo
Samford University
B.A. | religion/philosophy
Honors: First recipient of the William M. Lunceford Award for Excellence in Philosophy; Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society in Social Sciences; Dean's List
Samford University Logo
Dr. Donald K. Springen Award
Baldwin County Democratic Party
Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society
University of Alabama School of Law
Professional Associations
Legal Writing Institute
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Scribes - The American Society of Legal Writers
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
National Writers Union
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Alabama State Bar
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Privacy and Legal Outsourcing
American Bar Association, GP Solo Magazine
Technology in Appellate Law Practice
Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Law Practice Management, a New York Times Company
The Greatest Lawyer Jokes of All Time
Pipers Willow, Inc.
How to Start a Successful Law Practice
Pipers Willow, Inc.
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. In Alabma husband living with another woman since Nov 08 & got newspaper obituary showing them having same last name &
A: Possibly. Alabama Code Section 13A-13-1 says "A person commits bigamy when he intentionally contracts or purports to contract a marriage with another person when he has a living spouse. A person who contracts a marriage outside this state, which would be bigamous if contracted in this state, commits bigamy by cohabiting in the state with the other party to such a marriage." Bigamy is a Class C felony, carrying a sentence of up to 10 years in prison. You would need to talk to a sheriff's investigator in your county to determine whether this is a case they would be willing to investigate. Regardless of whether law enforcement determined there was enough evidence for an indictment, his public relationship with this woman would work to your benefit in divorce court proceedings. If we can be of any assistance, please let us know.
Q. How do I draw up a parental rights petition?
A: Rather than try to do this yourself, I would encourage you to hire an attorney to draft all of the paperwork for you. A petition to terminate parental rights will need to be filed in juvenile court, which has to be served on the father so that he has an opportunity to contest it. If he has agreed to the parental rights termination, then he can sign a consent to the termination. The case will be scheduled for a hearing, at which the judge will determine whether there are sufficient grounds for a parental rights termination. If you try to do this yourself, it would be easy to make a mistake that could create problems later. However, if this is really going to be uncontested by the father, an attorney should be able to handle it for you at a reasonable price. If we can be of assistance, please let us know.
Q. If an adult is living with their parents for free can they legally "Ground" them to the home?
A: No. From a legal standpoint, you are basically the same as any other adult renting a room from them. They can, however, evict you from their home and let you go find your own place to live.
Q. What are the steps in alabama for a man to voluntarily relinquish parental rights?
A: There is not a court procedure that a man can initiate to give up his own parental rights. However, the mother can file a petition to terminate his parental rights, and he could then sign a consent agreeing to have his rights terminated. Please be aware that terminating parental rights no longer terminates the obligation to pay child support, so a person could be required to continue paying child support even if his parental rights are taken away.
Q. A husband dies leaving his widow life tenancy with it going to the adult kids at her death. Can the widow and kids sell
A: Yes, they can transfer full legal title to the property by signing an agreement conveying their different interests in the land. The deed will be a little different than a standard property deed, but it is not complicated and an attorney should be able to prepare the paperwork at a reasonable price.
Q. How do i appeal a guilty plea?
A: In most situations, you cannot appeal a guilty plea. However, there are certain exceptions that exist. Whenever possible, the first step in appealing a guilty plea is to file a motion to withdraw the guilty plea first. This has to be filed within 30 days of sentencing in order for the trial court to have authority to grant it, and you have to establish good reasons for the court to let you withdraw the plea. If you did not file to withdraw the guilty plea and did not file your appeal in time, you may be able to file what is called a Rule 32 petition challenging your conviction. To learn more about that subject, please read my article at If I can be of any assistance, please feel free to call me or send me an email through my website. Good luck to you.
Q. In the state of Alabama are there any rules pertaining to a fast and speedy trial?
A: Yes, the State of Alabama follows the law as set forth in the United States Supreme Court case of Barker vs Wingo, which established the rules for determining whether there has been a denial of the right to a speedy trial. In determining whether there has been a denial of the right to a speedy trial, a court is to consider four factors: (1) the length of the delay, (2) the reason for the delay, (3) the defendant's assertion of the right, and (4) any prejudice to the defendant. This is a complicated analysis, and many rules have developed as to how each of these factors are to be considered. To learn more about this issue, read my article at If you have questions, please feel free to contact my office at
Q. I am 23...can i file youthful offender for shoplifting 40 in alabama. i never been in trouble before
A: No, at 23 you are too old to be granted youthful offender status. However, some courts provide the possibility of receiving pretrial diversion or withheld adjudication if you have never been in trouble before. You need to get a criminal defense lawyer involved in your case as soon as possible to see what options you have when you go to court. Good luck to you, and if I can be of any assistance please let me know.
Q. My husband is in prison on a probation revocation its ben ovr a yr we appeeled ie but still nothing
A: It can take a long time to receive an appellate court ruling on a conviction. However, probation revocation cases are relatively simple and can usually be ruled on faster than the average criminal case. I would suggest that you call your husband's lawyer and ask him the status of the appeal. If you are unable to reach him, you can also call the Court of Criminal Appeals in Montgomery and ask the clerk's office if they can tell you the status. You can also send me an email through the contact form on my website at, and I can look his case up on the appellate court computer system for you. Good luck to you.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Jefferson County Office
One Perimeter Park South
Suite 100N
Birmingham, AL 35243
Toll-Free: (800) 737-3702 Ext. 1
Fax: (800) 737-5418