Vanessa Jean Gorden

Vanessa Jean Gorden

GordenLaw, LLC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Juvenile Law
  • Nebraska, South Dakota
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Vanessa attended the University of South Dakota for college, graduate school, and law school, and earned her J.D. from the University of South Dakota School of Law in 2005. She is a member of the Thomas Sterling Honor Society, the highest honor bestowed upon the top 10% of students in each USD Law graduating class. Prior to moving to Lincoln in 2008, Vanessa practiced law in rural northeastern Nebraska. Throughout her career, Vanessa has concentrated on representing individuals in family law, juvenile law, and guardianship/adoption matters in probate court. Vanessa was honored to be part of the 2008-2009 Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy. She has also served as Chair of the Volunteer Lawyers' Project committee for the Nebraska State Bar. Recently Vanessa was honored to receive the "10 Best Client Satisfaction Award" from the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys in 2016 and the "Top 10 Attorneys Under 40" award from the National Academy Of Family Law Attorneys in 2015.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Juvenile Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
South Dakota
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
Professional Experience
GordenLaw, LLC
- Current
University of South Dakota School of Law
J.D. (2005) | Law
Honors: Thomas Sterling Honor Society (Top 10% of graduating class); CALI awards in Property and Jurisprudence
Activities: R.D. Hurd Pro Bono Society; Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity
University of South Dakota School of Law Logo
10 Best Client Satisfaction
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under 40
National Academy of Family Law Attorneys
Professional Associations
Nebraska State Bar  # 23294
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
How to Partner With Your Divorce Attorney
Stress Free Divorce Vol IV
Speaking Engagements
"Filing for Divorce" & "Effective Use of Discovery" , Divorce Law Guide A to Z , Omaha, Nebraska
National Business Institute, Inc.
Life Coach Certification
New Skills Academy
Family Law Trial Advocacy graduate
National Institute of Trial Advocacy/American Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
GordenLaw, LLC
Legal Answers
34 Questions Answered

Q. separating unmarried couple, can mother/father move out with a 3 year old child?
A: Yes. There are several factors that may affect legal rights and responsibilities. First, whether natural father signed an acknowledgment of paternity at the child's birth. If so, that is legal paternity. If not, parents can only bring a private action to legally establish parentage within the child's first 4 years of life. If the parents are not residing together, the issues of decision making, parenting time, and financial support are best handled through the courts, even if the parties are friendly and can agree. That way, if something changes in the future, each parent has enforceable rights and responsibilities. Each parent should at least consult with an attorney confidentially about their specific facts in order to determine how best to proceed. Best wishes as the family dynamics change and you navigate this process.
Q. In my divorce decree, it states that my ex wife will take over our mortgage payment but my name is still on the mortgage
A: Remember that your divorce decree is only valid as between the two parties involved - the Court that granted your Decree cannot force a bank to remove your name or allow the ex to refinance. As a best practice, my office typically ensures we draft a provision requiring the spouse keeping a mortgage to make "all reasonable efforts" to refinance. If your Decree or Property Settlement has similar language, she may be in contempt for refusing to make efforts (although she would not be in contempt if she tried but failed to qualify). If there is only a requirement that she make the payments and she is doing so, she would be meeting the requirements of your court orders. Your best bet is to take your Decree and paperwork in to consult with an attorney about your options. Best wishes!
Q. my cousin give me her baby and we type a paper saying that I have temp custody of her .what can I do ? to keep her
A: First, a typed paper alone is not enough for delegated parental authority unless it is notarized and uses this form: Second, if the parent revokes the Temporary Delegation at any time, it is over. If your cousin and the father are unfit to parent and you would like to assume legal guardianship of the child, or adopt the child you would need to file for guardianship or adoption in the county court where you reside. Depending on your circumstances, you could also reach out to NDHHS if you are concerned and see if they will step in to help and then you could seek placement through a juvenile court proceeding if one opens. You will definitely want to visit with a lawyer confidentially about the specifics of your case and how to proceed. Best wishes to you and your family!
View More Answers
Contact & Map
GordenLaw, LLC
610 J Street Suite 220
Lincoln, NE 68508
Telephone: (402) 817-1450
Fax: (402) 817-1736
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.