Free Consultation: (336) 941-9084Tap to Call This Lawyer
Steven W Grainger

Steven W Grainger

Grainger Law PLLC
  • Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Medical Malpractice...
  • North Carolina
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

I will try any case, anytime, anywhere, if the cause is just. That is the motto I live by as an attorney.

Practice Areas
  • Civil Rights
  • Criminal Law
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Personal Injury
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
North Carolina
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Grainger Law PLLC
- Current
Owner/operator of solo practice that focuses on family law, criminal and civil litigation, and traffic offenses.
Associate Attorney
Law Offices of John J. Barrow, PA
Carl Parrish Law PLLC
Associate attorney for a criminal defense and family law firm.
General Counsel
All Weather Contractors, Inc.
General counsel for a small constructions business during the height of the "great recession".
Florida Coastal School of Law
J.D. (2009)
Honors: Pro Bono Honors Award
University of North Carolina School of Law
Visiting Law Student
North Carolina State University
B.S. (2006) | Applied Sociology
Pro Bono Service Award
North Carolina State Bar
Professional Associations
National Academy of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Current
North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Current
21st Judicial District Forsyth County Bar Association
- Current
Forsyth County Criminal Defense Trial Lawyers Association
- Current
Websites & Blogs
Grainger Law PLLC
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered

Q. I live in nc. My sons Medicaid is through me. We have a court order that states neither party pays child support and
A: Child support is something that is, in essence, never final. If they can show that there has been a susbtantial change in circumstances since that original order, then that is enough for the court to revisit the issue. However, the court may do nothing, or it may rule in your favor. Modification, as it is called, is very fact specific,. I would advise consulting a good family law attorney in your area.
Q. I have a 2yr old sonand his father and i are not together. We live in NC I am wanting to move with my parents to FL ..
A: If there is no order in place, the North Carolina has not yet asserted jurisdiction. When you're talking about custody issues across state lines the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) is controlling. Under the UCCJEA North Carolina would be the state of initial jurisdiction. Which means that if the father filed for custody after you move to Florida, you could conceivably be required to come back and appear at a North Carolina Court proceeding. At that point a determination would be made as to what is in the best interest of the child, which very well could be for the child to be in Florida. But judges can be unpredictable. You could also file for custody once you got to Florida. Florida would have jurisdiction to enter a custody order, however unless and until the child resides in Florida for a period of six months, then North Carolina is still a home state, and would still have first say as to where the custody action must be maintained.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Grainger Law PLLC
Toll-Free: (336) 941-9084
Telephone: (336) 941-9084
Fax: (336) 232-1518