I provide a full range of services in various areas of intellectual property law, from patent, trademark, and copyright litigation, to patent drafting and prosecution, to license preparation, and more. I can back up my commitment to quality with legal accomplishments, experience, and technical acumen. Since graduating cum laude from law school at Brigham Young University in 2005, where I served as a Senior Editor on the Law Review, and worked as an extern in Chambers for Chief Justice Abrahamson of the Wisconsin Supreme Court and Justice Parish of the Utah Supreme Court, I have acquired experience with several respected law firms, where I contributed to many successful outcomes at all stages of litigation and patent prosecution.
In addition to strong legal credentials and experience, I hold a Master's Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I have experience with a wide variety of technologies, particularly with respect to electrical patents, with examples of such technologies including: wireless technologies, such as LTE and WIMAX standards; near-field communication systems; asynchronous digital logic; cochlear implants, synthetic aperture radar, tokamaks, Ethernet standards, enterprise middleware, data storage devices (optical, magnetic, volumetric, and holographic), databases (database recovery, integrity, diagnostics, querying, resource provisioning, etc.), peer-to-peer networking, general software, e-commerce, emission control, mechanical inventions of many varieties, and thermoplastics, among others.
I have drafted and prosecuted patents for many of the largest companies in the technology sector, while also performing these same services for start-ups and mid-size companies. Also, my experience with litigation uniquely informs every aspect of the patents I draft, adding significant value to the trial-ready patents that issue from these applications. Additionally, my experience with international applications and the prosecution of applications in the patent offices of Europe, Japan, Korea, and China prepare me to globally position the intellectual property protection of your firm in an ever more interconnected world.
It is my firm conviction that I offer my clients representation that cannot be matched both in terms of quality and cost. Please contact me for a free consultation to learn how I can put my experience, credentials, and technical ability to work, advancing your intellectual property needs with quality work product and experienced counsel at greatly reduced costs.
- Intellectual Property
- Real Estate Law
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Spanish: Spoken
- Brigham Young University
- M.S. / Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Brigham Young University
- J.D. (2005)
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Utah State Bar # 10676
- Stephen Preston Law LLC
- Implications of Provisional Rights in Patent Applications
14 October 2013
- Reasonable Royalties for Provisional Rights in Patent Applications
1 October 2013
- Substantially-Identical Requirement for Provisional Rights in Patent Applications
30 September 2013
- Actual Notice and Provisional Rights in Patent Applications
27 September 2013
- Provisional Rights in Published Patent Applications
26 September 2013
- The Growing Importance of Developing a Patent Portfolio in China
4 September 2013
- Patent Infringement and Standing: Legal Title
1 August 2013
- Selecting an International Search Authority (ISA) for a Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Application: Part II
8 July 2013
- Selecting an International Search Authority (ISA) for a Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Application: Part I
1 July 2013