Free Consultation: (303) 210-4204Tap to Call This Lawyer
Sabra M. Janko

Sabra M. Janko

Turning Change Into Opportunity
  • Arbitration & Mediation, Divorce, Family Law...
  • Colorado, New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII BronzeSocial Media

Sabra Janko, Esq. practices in the areas of divorce and family mediation, divorce and family law, military divorce and family mediation and law, protection orders for victims, and non-profit association legal services.

Prior to beginning her own practice, she provided civil legal services to veterans and military families at the nonprofit association Legal Services of the Hudson Valley to include family law and Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the Hudson River Valley area of New York. After relocating to Colorado, she started and managed the circa 2018 Colorado Bar Association Federal Pro Se Clinic assisting self-represented litigants with a variety of federal court civil litigation matters.

She is a former Army JAG attorney, originally enlisting with her first assignment at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California to attend Russian language training. Her last assignment was as a Professor at the United States Military Academy where she taught constitutional and criminal law.

While serving with the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, she practiced in a variety of legal areas to include administrative, criminal and international law as well as legal services. She advised servicemembers, retirees and commanders on legal service matters to include family law and income tax; including running the Fort Bragg Income Tax Assistance Center. She was a paratrooper and a combat veteran serving in Iraq and Jordan during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn.

Practice Areas
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Military Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
University of Oklahoma
M.P.A. | (Public Administration)
The University of Maryland
University of Maryland School of Law
Activities: Maryland Journal of Healthcare Law and Policy American Bar Association Public Service Internship – Mental and Physical Disability Law Section Family Law Pro Se Clinical Program
The Judge Advocate General’s Legal Center and School
LL.M. (2009) | Military Law
Professional Associations
Colorado Women's Bar Association
Mediation Association of Colorado
Veteran’s Administration Accreditation
Admitted to the Court of Appeals of the Armed Forces Bar
Admitted to the United States Supreme Court Bar
Colorado Bar Association, Family Law and Military and Veteran’s Affairs Sections
Denver Bar Association
American Legion Post 206
Articles & Publications
Colorado's Federal Pro Se Clinic - First Steps
The Federal Lawyer
Colorado's Federal Pro Se Clinic - First Steps
Faculty of Federal Advocates
Colorado's New Federal Pro Se Clinic
Colorado Lawyer
Diagnostic Evidence Admissibility and the Multiple Personality Disorder Defense
Maryland Journal of Healthcare Law and Policy
Criminal Responsibility and Multiple Personality Defendants
American Bar Association Monograph
The Multiple Personality Disorder Defense
Maryland Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues
Speaking Engagements
Firsts: Achievements of Women in the Military, Seattle, WA
The Seattle Museum of Flight
Salute To Military Women - Successes and Challenges of Women in the Military, Denver, CO
The Colorado Bar Association Military and Veterans Law Section
The Fire - Successes and Challenges of Women in the Military, The Aurora History Museum
The Aurora History Museum
The Fire – Successes and Challenges of Our Nation’s Military Women, Lowry Chapel, Denver, CO
The Denver Public Library and the Lowry Foundation
Mares-Dixon through Colorado Bar Association
Websites & Blogs
Sabra M. Janko's Website Profile
JLaw LLC Website
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. I filed a report against my fiancé for domestic violence, when the detective calls Can i have the case dropped?
A: The first thing that you think about should be safety for your baby and yourself. If the ER called the police, the harm was serious. it won't stop. The state can decide whether to prosecute or not based on the ER report. You can tell the detective that you do not want to prosecute, however the state is not bound by your decision. I recommend that you seek the assistance of an attorney or domestic violence shelter that can help you obtain a protection order.
Q. I want to move back into my premarital house my husband is not on. We have a house, what is my financial responsibility?
A: Absent a court order, there is no enforceable financial support requirement, however there is a general expectation that spouses will provide support to each other. If you would like to set forth specific financial requirements, you can do so in a court order. If the house that you live in currently with your spouse is rented and you are on the lease, then you are obligated under the lease.
Q. If i testify in a domestic violence case can things i say then be used against me to charge me with a crime?
A: Information that you provide in a court proceeding under oath can be used against you in a criminal proceeding. While you can claim the fifth amendment right to remain silent in a criminal proceeding, you can not do so in a civil proceeding. You should consult with an attorney before you testify.
Q. Time with my daughter.My names on birth certificate and no custody case yet she refuses to let me see her. Is that legal
A: I am sorry to hear about your situation but you can make a change. You can file for an Allocation of Parental Responsibilities so that you can set a schedule for childcare and parenting time. Your spouse should not be preventing you from seeing your child absent concerns about the welfare of the child.
Q. Is it possible to overcome a child's presumed paternity and divorce or separate without extensive time in court?
A: If the child was born during the marraige, then there is a presumption that the child is of the marriage. If your husband contests your desire to receive sole cusotdy of the child, then you will either need to agree to a parenting arrangement or file a court petition to have the court issue an order. You should also be aware that child support is the right of the child so you will not be able to waive child support in a court action.
Q. Is there an exception to the rule of a 13_14_106 Colorado statue of permanent restraining order.i
A: If you are unable to serve the other party, then you can submit a motion for service by publication to the Court. You will, however, have to establish to the court the steps that you took to locate the other person.
Q. Can a 21 year old CO divorce case be reopened for my ex to come after my retirement? Decree says she doesn’t get it.
A: An attorney would have to review your agreement in order to know what your legal rights and obligations are. Typically if she waived sharing in your retirement, then she could not reopen the matter to ask for it. Sometimes decrees do allow for requests at a later time when the retirement amount is known. Usually property division is final and can only be reopened if full disclosure was not made at the time of the initial proceeding.
Q. Due to jobs, we lived in separate states when we were married and continued to do so for the duration of the marriage.
A: In a divorce, you will divide marital assets and debts. It is unclear why your spouse would want you to reimburse her for money that she spent during the marriage unless you had some agreement to that effect.
Q. I forgot to include a proposed order form with a motion I just filed. Will the motion be rejected?
A: It depends on the court. Sometimes the Judge will draft an order in the absence of one. If the motion has not yet been ruled upon, you can still submit a proposed order. Ideally the order will be drafted to support what you are asking the Court to order.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Main Office
2373 Central Park Blvd
Denver, CO 80238
Telephone: (303) 210-4204
Denver Office
924 W 9th Ave
Denver, CO 80204
Telephone: (303) 210-4204