Free Consultation: (210) 549-8087
Offers Video Conferencing
Tap to Call This Lawyer
Russell Aldrich

Russell Aldrich

Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC
  • Probate, Estate Planning, Elder Law
  • Colorado, Maine, Texas
Review This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
I have known Russell for many years and consider him to be one of the best lawyers in our community. I often seek his input on legal matters because I know he will have the legal knowledge and expertise necessary to provide guidance. I highly recommend Russell as an attorney.
Client Reviews
K. S. February 12, 2024
Highly recommended for probate services I was referred by another San Antonio lawyer to the Russell Aldrich Law Firm because my probate case had potential difficulties. From the first interview to the completed process, I was highly pleased with the advice and service they provided. Russell is a friendly personable attorney. He is easy to contact by phone or email, and is always timely in his responses to issues or questions. He walked me thru the probate process explaining each step. It would have been impossible for me to complete the process without his help. Anytime there was an issue, Russell always carefully explained the options and gave his legal advice with the intention of allowing me to make choices, and at the same time, stay will within the legal options of the probate statutes. I eagerly give the whole process a 10 out of 10 with this law firm.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ConferencingQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

Russell Aldrich is the founder of the Aldrich Law Firm. His practice focuses on estate, probate, trust, power of attorney, and fiduciary litigation.

Russell graduated from the Pennsylvania Law School with a Juris Doctor degree. He also holds a Master of Arts degree from St. Mary’s University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Additionally, Russell is a certified as a mediator through the Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution at the University of Texas School of Law.

Prior to law school, Russell enlisted as a Civil Affairs Specialist in the United States Army Reserve, and later commissioned as a Military Intelligence Officer. Throughout his Army career, Russell has served at a wide variety of military units and civilian agencies both at home and abroad. His military education includes the Basic Airborne Course, Joint Interrogation Management Course, and Dynamics of International Terrorism Course.

Russell has served as a zealous advocate for hundreds of clients in a wide variety of probate and trust matters, having advanced their interests in dozens of courts across the State of Texas. He takes special pride in fighting for those who place their trust in him and works tirelessly to ensure that the receive the justice they deserve.

Practice Areas
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Elder Law
Video Conferencing
  • Skype
  • Zoom
  • Microsoft Teams
  • RingCentral
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Paypal are accepted.
  • Contingent Fees
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Colorado Supreme Court
ID Number: 59053
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar
ID Number: 006004
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
State Bar of Texas
ID Number: 24078132
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, Southern & Western Districts of Texas
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English
  • Spanish
Professional Experience
Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC
- Current
Foreign Area Officer
United States Army Reserve
- Current
Legal Intern
U.S. Department of Justice
Government Analyst
Center for Social Development
Research Analyst
Police Communications Specialist
City of San Antonio
Texas House of Representatives
University of Pennsylvania
J.D. (2011) | Law
Activities: The University of Pennsylvania Journal of Business Law; Custody and Support Assistance Clinic (CASAC)
University of Pennsylvania Logo
St. Mary's University
M.A. (2008) | International Relations
Placeholder image for education.
University of Texas - Austin
B.A. (2005) | History/Government
University of Texas - Austin Logo
Client Reviewed
10.0 Superb Rating
Best Lawyer Award
Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0
Rising Legal Star
SA Scene Magazine
Rising Stars
S.A. Scene
Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award
The University of Pennsylvania Law School
Rapoport Fellowship
The University of Texas School of Law
Professional Associations
College of the State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Texas Exes
Life Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Military Officers Association of America
Life Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Foreign Area Officer Association
Life Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Sons of the American Revolution
Life Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
San Antonio Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
State Bar of Texas
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Civil Affairs Association
Life Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Sons of the Republic of Texas
Life Member
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Bexar County Citizen's Bond Oversight Committee
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Board Member
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
The Need for a Legal Residency
San Antonio Lawyer
U.S. Should Invest in Truly Unconventional Forms of Warfare
National Defense Magazine
Why Kim Jong-Un Is Unlikely to Reform North Korea
American Bar Association Asia Law News
An Examination of China’s Treatment of North Korean Asylum Seekers
North Korea Review
Into the Warm Embrace of Comrade Hugo: What Venezuela’s Public Relation Gambit Means for the United States
Penn Political Review
40 Hour Mediation Course
UT-Austin Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution
Websites & Blogs
Aldrich Law Firm Website
Aldrich Law Firm en Español
San Antonio Probate Blog
Aldrich Law Firm Articles
Legal Answers
1 Questions Answered
Q. Parent recently died, and parent's apartment needs to be vacated. Leasing office is not responding.
A: First off,I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

I'd need more information to be able to answer your question more fully; however, as a general rule no one is entitled to possession of a decedent's personal property until an executor or an administrator is appointed for his or her estate. This applies even in situations where you, as a child, would inherit your parent's property by virtue of your status as an an intestate (i.e., when someone dies without a will) heir of their estate.

In cases where there is no will and when there's no necessity for the appointment of an administrator, the intestate heirs would inherit the property immediately upon the death of your parent. The share of your parent's property that you would be entitled to receive depends on your parent's family situation at the time of their death (married vs. unmarried, number of children, whether the children were born to the same parents, etc.). Additionally, the share to which you will be entitled also depends on whether the property was community or separate property.

Even if you are entitled to your parent's property immediately, the trick is convincing anyone in possession of that property to turn it over to you. How do they know you're really an heir? How do they know how much property you're to receive? How do they know there's not a will? Banks, brokerages, storage units - and in this case, an apartment complex - aren't going to just take your word for it. If they let you take the property, it becomes a liability issue for the apartment complex because if it turns out that you aren't an heir then the person that IS an heir may come forward later on and file suit against the apartment complex for having let you take the property that they would have received.

How the various companies handle this issue largely depends on their own policies and, quite frankly, the value of the property that they're holding. Banks, for example, will almost always require a court order (small estate affidavit or a judgment declaring heirship) before letting you take the money in the account. Occasionally, a business holding the property of a deceased parent will turn it over to the children without a court order (whether this is a good idea or not is another question, however) when the value of the property is low; however, they are under no obligation to do so (nor is the apartment complex in this case) In fact, it's probably not even accurate to say that the apartment complex is "holding" the property of your parent; rather, what it appears they did was give access to the apartment to third parties, and that they in turn removed property of your parent from the apartment.

An attorney specializing in landlord/tenant law could probably answer the question as to what the rights and obligations of the apartment complex are in this situation. If the apartment was negligent and caused you harm, then they could probably advise you as to the strength of your case and what your options and potential remedies might be should you file suit.

From a practical standpoint, however, the cost of hiring a lawyer may outweigh the benefit even if you win your case. It may also be the case that you did wish to initiate initiating legal proceedings against the apartment complex, you'd need to be appointed as the administrator of your parent's estate first. Since your parent died without a will, the process to have you appointed as such would likely be expensive and time-consuming. If there were other reasons as to why an administrator would need to be appointed, then perhaps the time/cost of probate would be worth it. If it's solely to obtain the property in the apartment or hold the apartment complex responsible, however, then it may not (though your mileage may vary - it could be that there is something in the apartment that is particularly valuable or sentimentally important to you).

Again, my condolences for your loss. I hope I've been of some help.
... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC
8700 Crownhill Blvd.
Suite 200
San Antonio, TX 78209
Telephone: (210) 549-8087
Fax: (210) 598-7221
Monday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 8:30 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.