I am a criminal defense lawyer for adults and juveniles, practicing primarily in Fresno, California, but also Madera, Kings, Tulare, Merced, and other counties. I am a member of the Board of Governors for the California Attorneys for Criminal Justice. Why go to a foot doctor if you have a lung problem? Why go to an attorney who does personal injury if you need a criminal lawyer? That's why I ONLY do criminal defense.
- Criminal Law
- Juvenile Law
- Free Consultation
Initial consultation to get initial understanding of case for purposes of determining appropriate fees is done by appointment in office.
- Credit Cards Accepted
VISA, Mastercard, Discover Cards
- Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
Payments are dependent on the facts of the case. I have no particular set fee. Fees average from a low of $1,000 for some types of cases to several tens of thousands for others.
- United States District Court, Eastern California
- United States District Court, Northern California
- American Sign Language: Spoken
- Spanish: Spoken, Written
- Law Office of Rick Horowitz
- - Current
- Since my very first case (a special circumstances death penalty case), I have handled or assisted other attorneys in handling serious crimes including murder, attempted murder, assault, domestic violence, drug cases and sex crimes. In addition, about a third of my practice consists of juvenile delinquency. I have developed a reputation as a "motions and research attorney" with the result that I frequently assist other attorneys by "ghostwriting" motions for them, provide research services and/or just providing strategic advice. Attorneys with many more years of experience come to me almost weekly with requests for assistance or to bounce ideas off me. Because of the attention to detail and devotion to working up a case, clients who wish to do so are frequently able to avoid trial; however, I also have a proven success rate in trial. While each case is different and all my contracts come with a "no crystal ball" guarantee (meaning I can't predict the future, makes promises about the outcome, or tell you what your specific results will be), my track record puts me near the top as a Fresno criminal defense attorney.
- San Joaquin College of Law
- J.D. (2006)
- I took the four-year program because I initially maintained my position as Director of Information Systems for a multi-million-dollar yellow pages company. At the end of my second year, I quit my regular job to open an office as an independent law clerk, primarily clerking for criminal law specialist David Mugridge in Fresno, California. During my time in school I served two years as an officer of Delta Theta Phi, including one year as the Dean. In 2006, I graduated third in my class of fifty-three, passed the bar on my first try and changed the wording on my office door from "Law Clerk" to "Lawyer" after being sworn in April 17, 2007.
- Honors: Witkin Award for Corporations Law
- Activities: Master of the Web, Delta Theta Phi Dean, Delta Theta Phi
- California St Univ Fresno
- B.A. / Philosophy (1995)
- My particular interests as a Philosophy major included cognitive science, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of language. Because of this, I took significantly longer than normal to graduate because I took classes in anthropology, psychology, linguistics and computer science in addition to a philosophy curriculum filled with guided independent studies courses in cognitive science. I also served one year each as President of the Philosophy and Anthropology clubs.
- Activities: Philosophy Club, President & Member Anthropology Club, President & Member
- California State Bar # 248684
- - Current
- American Bar Association
- - Current
- California Attorney for Criminal Justice
- - Current
- California Public Defenders Association
- - Current
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- Board of Governors
- Activities: I am on the Legislative Committee for the Board of Governors of the California Attorneys for Criminal Justice.
- Probable Cause Criminal Defense Blog
- Fresno Criminal Defense
- Send in the Clowns
30 September 2016
- Trigger-Happy Warnings
27 September 2016
- World-Wide Pariahs
26 September 2016
- A Culture of Lies
22 September 2016
- The Unaccountables
21 September 2016
- All Those Words
19 September 2016
- Using Marijuana to Legally Disarm Californians
2 September 2016
- Why You Look Racist
19 August 2016
- Why We Cannot Afford Not To Have Trials
15 August 2016