Richard L. Shea

The Shea Law Firm
  • Divorce, Elder Law, Estate Planning
  • Connecticut, Texas
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ABlawgsearchSocial Media

I work directly with my clients to provide practical solutions to their legal challenges. I am one of the few attorneys in Montgomery County active in the field of Collaborative Divorce, providing an alternative for parents of young children to get divorced without destroying their relationship with their kids.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Elder Law
  • Estate Planning
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Professional Experience
The Shea Law Firm
- Current
Nirenstein, Horowitz & Associates
Professional Associations
National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Current
Collaborative Law Institute of Texas
- Current
Articles & Publications
Houston Nursing Home Guide
Legal Answers
4 Questions Answered

Q. can I file a small estate affidavit on line
A: If the County you are filing in has e-filing, you should be able to.
Q. If my grandma signed an arbitration agreement with her nursing home but didn't understand it due to dementia, could that
A: It depends on the details. If the date of the agreement was on or after 11/28/16 and the nursing home participates in Medicaid then CMS prevents them from using arbitration agreements. If the details don't fit into that window, then it would depend on the facts surrounding execution of the agreement.
Q. mother passed away and had a will leaving home to me and my wife,but we aren't on the deed, what happens
A: The Court will formally appoint an Executor when you open the probate case. The Executor will sign a distribution deed per the terms of the Will.
Q. I am durable power of attorney for my father. Can I add my brother as a secondary POA in Texas?
A: In most cases no, but the final outcome is determined by the language of the existing Power of Attorney document. Some versions will allow a currently acting Power of Attorney to do what you want, while others will not include that power. When in doubt, check with the attorney that drafted your current document.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
9595 Six Pines Drive
9595 Six Pines Drive
Suite 8210
The Woodlands, TX 77380
Telephone: (832) 592-7913