RENÉ S. ROUPINIAN is a Partner of the firm and Co-Chair of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Practice Group, and a member of the firm’s Class Action Practice Group.
For over fifteen years, Ms. Roupinian has devoted her practice to the litigation of Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act cases, representing tens of thousands of employees who were terminated without sufficient notice in violation of federal and state WARN laws. The firm’s WARN practice is national and its WARN cases have and continue to cover a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, transportation, retail, mining, mortgage and manufacturing. A majority of the cases Ms. Roupinian litigates are initiated as class actions and are frequently filed in bankruptcy court as adversary proceedings.
In 2017, the firm’s WARN Act Practice Group won a landmark United States Supreme Court decision on behalf of 1,800 terminated truck drivers. Czyzewski v. Jevic Holding Corp., 137 S. Ct. 973, 977, 197 L. Ed. 2d 398 (2017). The decision has been hailed as one of the top ten most important decisions in bankruptcy law and prompted Law360 to name Outten & Golden’s WARN Practice Group Bankruptcy Group of the Year.
Ms. Roupinian has lectured on the WARN Act and the prosecution of WARN claims as class actions in bankruptcy court. She has been quoted on WARN law rights and her cases have been cited in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, American Lawyer, Associated Press, USA Today, Forbes, Newsday, Times-Gazette, The Herald News, and others.
Ms. Roupinian received her BA from the University of Michigan, and her JD from Michigan State University College of Law where she was a member of the Moot Court Executive Board. She joined Outten & Golden LLP in 2007 after representing employees in WARN Act cases at another New York firm.
- Employment Law
- WARN Class Action Lawsuits
- State Bar of Michigan
- New York
- Michigan State University
- Super Lawyer 2014-2019
- Super Lawyers
- New York Metro Super Lawyer Top Women 2015-2019
- Super Lawyer
- Bankruptcy Practice Group of the Year
- Law 360
- MSU College of Law Alumni Board
- New York City Bar Association
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- Armenian-American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Alliance for Justice
- Michigan Bar Association
- New York State Bar # 4138889
- - Current
- WARN Act Protects Laid off Employees of Companies in Bankruptcy
- O&G Employment Law Blog
- Fair Warning For Workers
- A Practitioner's Overview of the Deficiencies of the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act Twenty Years Following its Enactment
- NELA, The New York Employee Advocate