Free Consultation: (602) 256-7575Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder

Peter W Davis

R.J. Peters & Associates
  • Family Law
  • Arizona
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileOffers Video ChatQ&AResponsive Law

Peter Davis was born and raised in Kansas City. He is a graduate of the University of Kansas and a proud Jayhawk. He moved to Arizona in 2006 to be closer to his wife’s family. In 2008 he again moved his family, this time to Houston to attend law school at the University of Houston

Upon Graduation from law school in 2011 Peter immediately moved back to Arizona and began working for a prominent law firm representing clients obtain Social Security Disability. In 2016 and 2017 he was Rated 10 Best in Arizona for exceptional and outstanding client service in the Social Security Section by the American Institute of Legal Counsel.

After almost 7 years successfully representing clients in disability cases, Peter became an Assistant Attorney General and represented the State of Arizona in IV-D Child Support cases. During that time he appeared in hundreds of evidentiary hearings on behalf of the State.

While Peter learned much from his time as an Assistant Attorney General, he missed advocating for an individual and moved back in to private practice at R.J. Peters and Associates taking what he had previously learned and applying it to the family law practice.

Peter is a father of four children and spends his off time with his wife and children doing outdoor activities, sports and board games.

Practice Area
  • Family Law
Video Chat and Conferencing
  • FaceTime
  • Zoom
  • GoToMeeting
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
State Bar of Arizona
ID Number: 029271
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
R.J. Peters & Associates
- Current
Assistant Attorney General
Arizona Attorney General
Phillips Disability, P.L.L.C.
University of Houston Law Center
J.D. (2011) | Law
University of Houston Law Center Logo
University of Kansas
B.A. (2001) | Geology
University of Kansas Logo
10 Best for Client Satisfaction in Social Security & Disability Law Section
American Institute of Legal Counsel
10 Best for Client Satisfaction in Social Security & Disability Law Section
American Institute of Legal Counsel
Professional Associations
State Bar of Arizona
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
7 Questions Answered

Q. I would like to know how and if there is a way to address current child support order.
A: Child support can be modified in Arizona at anytime upon a showing of substantial change in circumstances. This can be done by one of 2 methods, a simplified modification where you file, serve the other party and if they don't request a hearing the Court orders your modification. There is a bit of a caveat, that the change must equal at least 15%, either up or down. The second way you can modify is with an OSC modification (order to show cause) where you have a hearing in front of a judge or commissioner to address these issues as well. Though the statute doesn't specifically state that it is required to show a 15% change to be a substantial change in circumstances, the reality is that many judges use that number as the touchstone for whether or not to approve a modification. The child support calculators are available online, you can plug your numbers in and if it results in a change that you think is favorable, go a head and file. There are also a lot of intricacies and nuances with this as well, and that is something that an attorney can help you navigate. Most attorneys will offer a free 30 minute consultation to talk about your needs.
Q. I live in Arizona i make $2,985 every month and my sons mom makes $1,916 how much will I need to give of child support
A: The amount of income is only 1 aspect that goes into the child support worksheet to determine what it should be. In addition to that , the worksheet contemplates whether there are other support orders, other children not in common, cost for insurance, daycare, school, parenting time, and a few more. The best way to determine what amount child support should be is to use the free calculator provided by the courts.
Q. Attempting to modify child support order. Ex is remarried; does the new spouses' income affect the income calculation?
A: Parties income alone is what is generally used, not household income. However, there is something called the self support reserve that is discretionary which could reduce child support due to low funds. The judge can choose not to apply the self support reserve if a party has additional resources (such as the income of a new spouse) and the result would be inequitable. You could also potentially have the other party attributed a higher earning potential if you can show that they voluntarily stopped working or took a lower paying job without a valid reason, or are otherwise not reaching their full earnings potential (like someone with a Ph.D. working at McDonalds) There are a number of valid arguments to have a higher income attributed to the other side of a child support case and can be very detail specific. You should certainly seek advice of counsel regarding this issue which could affect how much child support would be in your case for potentially years to come. Most family attorneys provide a free initial consultation.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.
1422 N 2nd Street Ste 100
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Telephone: (602) 256-7575
Monday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Tuesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Wednesday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Thursday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Friday: 8 AM - 3 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed (Today)
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.