Free Consultation: (303) 792-5595Tap to Call This Lawyer
Nelson Patrick Boyle

Nelson Patrick Boyle

Burg Simpson Eldredge Hersh & Jardine PC
  • Appeals & Appellate, Personal Injury, Insurance Claims...
  • Colorado
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Nelson is a native of Arvada, Colorado. His civil litigation practice focuses on appeals, business, insurance bad faith, and personal injury litigation. Nelson joined Burg Simpson in 2013, after several years in a small firm. He earned a B.A. in History from Temple University (1997), an M.A. in U.S. History from New Mexico State University (2000) and his J.D. at the University of Denver’s Sturm College of Law (2007). Nelson is licensed to practice in all Colorado courts, the U.S. District Court for Colorado, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.

Nelson serves as Chair of Colorado’s Second Judicial District Judicial Performance Commission. Nelson serves as a member of the Amicus Curiae Committee of the American Association for Justice and on the Board of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, where he co-chaired the Amicus Curiae Committee from 2010-2018 and he is now Chair Emeritus of the Committee. Nelson enjoys skiing, hiking, and camping with his family.

Nelson teaches CLE courses on ethics issues and helps organize and host an annual professionalism and ethics CLE during professionalism month.

Practice Areas
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Personal Injury
  • Insurance Claims
  • Business Law
  • Free Consultation
    We provide free consultations for appeals, insurance, personal injury, and commercial matters.
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I provide appellate and commercial litigation on a contingent-fee or an hourly basis, depending on the case.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
10th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
U.S. Supreme Court
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Burg Simpson Eldredge Hersh & Jardine PC
- Current
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
J.D. (2007)
The University of Denver Sturm College of Law Logo
New Mexico State University
M.A. (2000) | History
New Mexico State University Logo
Temple University
B.A. (1997) | History
Temple University Logo
Personal Injury
Best Lawyers in America
Appellate Attorney
Super Lawyers
Outstanding Service Award
Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
New Trial Lawyer of the Year
Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
Professional Associations
Colorado State Bar # 39525
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Burg Simpson Attorney Nelson Boyle
Legal Answers
2 Questions Answered

Q. Can you sue an undocumented immigrant in small claims court?
A: Ostensibly, yes. Just like any case, the constitution and the court rules require that you have to serve the person with the lawsuit. If you succeed, then you can proceed. Many small claims courts have "law clinics" for people representing themselves. There's some forms and resources available on the state court website. And the local court where you live and intend to file a case may also have resources available. You could call the clerk to find out or look for the court through the state court website or for Denver at * Disclaimer: This generalized advice is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Unless and until we have a written fee agreement signed by you and a member of our law firm, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Also, please be aware that there is something called a statute of limitations that limits the time you can file a claim or lawsuit and I have not given you any information about that since I don't know sufficient facts to advise you about the applicable limitation(s) in your claim(s).
Q. How do I ask for more time to appeal?
A: I urge you to call an appellate attorney. Depending on your ability to pay for an attorney, you may be able to hire one on an hourly or flat fee basis or you may qualify for a public defender or alterternative defense counsel (if it's a criminal case) or there may be some services out there to help you find a low-pay/slow-pay or pro-bono lawyer (for a civil case). The Colorado Bar Association may be able to help. I don't have the order and I don't know the pertinent details. (For instance, I don't know what court issued the order, what court you would appeal to based on what court issued the order, whether the order is a judgment or an interlocutory order, the date of the order, or many other pertinent facts). So this is a very general answer to whether an appeal deadline can be moved, with reference to the time to appeal to the Colorado court of appeals from a Colorado District Court's order of final JUDGMENT (as defined under C.R.C.P. 58) and relevant cases). The 49-day deadline (which you MAY be referencing in your question) under Colo. Appellate Rule (C.A.R.) 4(a) (for civil appeals) or 4(b) (for criminal appeals) is "jurisdictional" in civil cases, and I'm not positive if that's also true in crimianal cases. A jurisdictional appeal deadline must be met in almost all cases. If that applies to your situation, you will have to file a notice of appeal within 49 days. That does not mean you have to file a full appeal brief, but it means you must comply with C.A.R. 4 ON OR BEFORE the 49th day. There are potentially other deadlines and different requirements for a notice of appeal if your case involves other types of issues. Some examples include: Dependency and Neglect (21 days, C.A.R. 3.4), appeals from ICAO, like worker's compensation or unemployment claims (time prescribed by statute, C.A.R. 3.1, There are some forms you could fill out and file online here: Assuming your "order" is a final judgment, it's likely not a good idea to try to extend this deadline, since in most cases it cannot be extended. And, since you're aware of the deadline, there is a good chance you could not extend the deadline. If you cannot find an attorney before the deadline, you could file a copy of the notice of appeal form at the above link to "perfect" your appeal. That would allow you to proceed without a lawyer or try to hire a lawyer before your brief is due. Always make sure the court knows your current address if you are proceeding without a lawyer. I hope this helps. Good luck. *** Disclaimer: Unless and until we have a written, signed fee agreement, signed by you and a shareholder in my law firm, you are not my client and I am not your attorney. I don't have enough information to provide more than general information.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
Burg Simpson Eldredge Hersh & Jardine, PC
40 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112
Toll-Free: (303) 792-5595
Telephone: (303) 792-5595