Michael Weisel concentrates his legal practice on corporate finance, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, commercial real estate, venture capital, business and corporate law, government relations, administrative and regulatory law, campaign finance and election law, and securities arbitration
Mr. Weisel joined Bailey & Dixon after serving as general counsel to the North Carolina House Speaker Pro Tempore. He actively serves on numerous regulatory and administrative bodies and was general counsel to an occupational licensing board.
Representing corporations, financial institutions, insurance companies, associations and individuals before the N.C. General Assembly, U.S. Congress, agencies and regulators, he brings a unique blend of legal, legislative, business and political skills to successfully navigate his clients through governmental squalls.
Mr. Weisel also employs his distinctive experience and expertise in business representation, believing clients need clear, concise and practical counsel from their lawyer - not a 40-page legal memo. His clients get advice on making a good deal work, not excuses or roadblocks on why a deal can't work.
After working nearly 20 years for firms such as Kemper (Zurich) Financial Services and Wells Fargo Bank, Mr. Weisel understands the business perspective. He has extensive experience in turnarounds, workouts, bankruptcy and litigation management. As an investment manager and advisor, he worked with pension funds, domestic and foreign commercial banks, investment and merchant banks, insurance companies, municipalities, and private investors managing over $1.25 billion in assets.
During the 2008 election for North Carolina State Treasurer, Michael Weisel's extensive experience and qualifications were recognized by the state's largest newspaper. The Charlotte Observer endorsed his candidacy stating, "a high level of expertise is critical, and ought to be the deciding factor for voters. Persuasive campaigning should take a back seat to qualities such as seasoning, the strictest ethics and financial acumen... because of his experience and qualifications, we recommend Michael Weisel for state treasurer." Mr. Weisel's legal abilities have been recognized by his peers in being named "Legal Elite" by Business North Carolina magazine.
- Broker Fraud
- Business Law
- Gov & Administrative Law
- Real Estate Law
- Securities Law
- Administrative and Regulatory Law
- Banking and Credit Union Law
- Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate Crisis Management
- Corporate Finance
- Election & Campaign Finance
- Government Relations
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Petroleum Marketing
- Professional and Occupational Licensing
- Securities Arbitration
- Tobacco Strategies
- Venture Capital
- Workouts and Turnaround
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- German: Written
- North Carolina State Bar
Michael Weisel is interviewed about his campaign for North Carolina State Treasurer. www.Weisel2008.orgNCFree Perspectives - Michael Weisel
- What do you want to accomplish as Treasurer? - What are your priorities, policy-wise?NCFree Good for Business - Michael Weisel
- How can the treasurer help deal with growth-driven demand for infrastructure investment? - What is unique about NC's leadership in the Treasurer's office?NCFree Conversation with Michael Weisel
- In a field of exceptional State Treasurer candidates, what sets you apart? - Why Michael Weisel thinks Treasurer is the second most-important office in the state. - How would your leadership...