Free Consultation: (918) 409-2844Tap to Call This Lawyer
Melissa Oxford

Melissa Oxford

Attorney at Law | Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
  • Family Law, Divorce, Personal Injury...
  • Oklahoma
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial MediaResponsive Law

Melissa Oxford is from Webb City, a small town outside of Joplin, Missouri. She went to University of Arkansas for undergraduate studies and later attended the University of Arkansas School of Law. While in law school Melissa met her husband, Ben, a native Tulsan. Following graduation, Melissa and Ben moved to Tulsa and she began practicing law in September 2010. Initially, Melissa worked for a well-respected private law firm practicing workers' compensation defense. She sharpened her trial skills, took hundreds of depositions, and became an excellent negotiator by participating in numerous mediations. As a result of her hard work and proactive management of her caseload, Melissa was hired as in-house counsel for a large nationwide insurance company in 2012. During her six years with the company, she handled their workers' compensation defense litigation, which included large exposure catastrophic injuries and death cases. She also provided personal injury defense for the insurance company’s policyholders, from car wrecks to slip and fall cases. In 2018, Melissa left her in-house role to expand her practice area expertise. While working for a small boutique law firm, she honed her research and writing skill set and gained substantive practice experience in the areas of family law, contractual disputes, construction defect, personal injury, malpractice defense (architects, engineers, dentists, doctors, hospitals), employment, and oil and gas law. Melissa founded her own law firm, Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC, in February 2019.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Personal Injury
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Business Law
  • Arbitration & Mediation
  • Real Estate Law
  • Construction Law
  • Health Care Law
  • Insurance Claims
  • Insurance Defense
  • Cannabis & Marijuana Law
  • Employment Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Adoption
  • Free Consultation
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Oklahoma Bar Association
ID Number: 30287
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma
United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Attorney at Law
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
- Current
Associate Attorney
McDaniel Acord & Lytle
Staff Attorney
The Hartford
Associate Attorney
McGivern & Gilliard
University of Arkansas School of Law
J.D. (2010)
Honors: Dean's List
Activities: Judicial Extern for the Honorable David Clinger, Equal Justice Works, Benjamin Altheimer Moot Court, Negotiation Competition Finalist, Client Counseling Competition Finalist
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville
B.A. (2007)
Honors: University of Arkansas Volunteer Spirit Award, E. Faye Jones Service to Scouting Award
Activities: Big Brothers Big Sisters - President and Mentor, Alpha Phi Omega National Community Service Organization - Vice President, Kappa Delta Sorority - Philanthropy Chair
E. Faye Jones Service to Scouting Award
Alpha Phi Omega
Volunteer Spirit Award
University of Arkansas
Professional Associations
Oklahoma Bar Association # 30287
Activities: Family Law Section - Member; Adoption Law Section - Member; Workers' Compensation Section - Member
Tulsa County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Young Lawyers Division Social Committee Co-Chair 2010-2012; Litigation Section; Lawyer Referral Service Committee
Websites & Blogs
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
"It Depends...A Legal Blog"
Legal Answers
21 Questions Answered

Q. In the state of Oklahoma; if a child is not in school due to legal issues, does child support still need to be paid?
A: Child support must be paid until the child turns 18, unless the child has not graduated from high school. If the child has not graduated high school the child support continues until the child has graduated high school or turns 20, whichever occurs first. Please keep in mind mentally and physically disabled children are treated differently and are not typically subject to these age restrictions. I recommend consulting with an attorney to discuss further.
Q. When a federal law appears to contradict a SCOTUS majority opinion, but is not directly addressed; which preempts?
A: It depends on when the federal law was enacted, before or after the opinion, and whether or not the opinion addresses the statute and declares it unconstitutional or otherwise invalidates it.
Q. I'm wanting to divorce my husband but he's only one on bank account i got no car no money no job bc I'm at stay home mom
A: I recommend contacting Legal Aid of Oklahoma or one of the organizations listed on the Oklahoma Bar website to discuss your options.
Q. If temp. Gaurdianship ended in Feb and theres been no court date does Mom have custody back?
A: I recommend consulting with an attorney that handles guardianship to determine the status and possibly setting a court date.
Q. My ex and I has never seen eye to eye since I was told by my 2 minor children step mom broke my daughters wrist and when
A: I recommend consulting a lawyer any time you believe your child may be suffering abuse when they are not in your care to determine your options and if you have any duty to report same.
Q. his wife is” mother on school records” I can’t even get infor nothing on them and I’m aloud visitation but being denied
A: If you have an order allowing you visitation and the other party is refusing to comply with the terms of the order, you can file a motion to enforce the visitation order. There are other options, as well. I recommend you consult a family law attorney in the state/county where your divorce was finalized to address your options.
Q. 2 minors knowingly left with household with unreported child molester : who should be reported and to which agency(s)?
A: I recommend non-custodial parent discuss with an attorney to determine if there is a duty to report and in the event he wants to pursue a modification of child custody based on these circumstances.
Q. Is it legal for my employer to take my vacation time away because I didnt use it by my anniversary date?
A: I recommend you consult an employment attorney to discuss the details. Find out if this policy is in an employment handbook or otherwise documented somewhere. If so, be sure to bring it to the attorney consult.
Q. An employer threatened to withhold my paycheck. When I told the employer that this was illegal, they terminated me.
A: You may have a cause of action but I recommend you consult an employment attorney. They cannot withhold pay, and you may be considered a "whistleblower", which may afford you additional protection. A lot of this is dependent on additional facts.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Melissa Oxford Law, PLLC
1800 South Baltimore Avenue
Suite 825
Tulsa, OK 74119
Telephone: (918) 409-2844