Melissa Averett

Melissa Averett

NC Board Certified Family Law Specialist
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence ...
  • North Carolina
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

I love practicing law. Guiding clients through the stress and upheaval of divorce, a custody battle or the aftermath of a death in the family is position of trust that I take seriously. Drafting an amicable separation agreement, or completing an adoption efficiently with as little drama as possible is equally important. I have been a NC Certified Family Law Specialist since 2009. My law firm handles divorce, custody, child support, alimony, property division, grandparents' rights, domestic violence, tort claims and personal injury, prenuptial and separation agreements, estate planning and administration in Chatham, Orange and Durham counties.

Practice Areas
    Contested Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Domestic Violence
    Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Victims Rights
    Estate Planning
    Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
Additional Practice Area
  • Tort claims from Sexual abuse/Domestic Violence
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
North Carolina
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Managing Attorney
Averett Family Law
- Current
Family Law firm representing clients in cases involving divorce, custody, probate, estate planning and personal injury
Founder and Executive Director
DVC Legal Services, Inc.
Non profit law firm representing indigent domestic violence victims in Orange and Chatham County, NC
North Carolina Central University School of Law
J.D. (1998)
Honors: Magna cum laude
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
North Carolina State Bar
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Judicial District 15B bar - Orange and Chatham County
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
NC Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
NC Bar Domestic Violence Committee
Activities: Draft and recommend changes to NC statutes on domestic violence
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Domestic Violence Primer, NC State Bar Paralegal CLE, Cary, NC
Child Support: When Can You Deviate from the Guidelines?, NC Justice Academy CLE, Cary, NC
Representing Clients Seeking DVPOS and No Contact Orders, NC Centtral University School of Law CLE, Durham, NC
Child Custody and Domestic Violences, Law to the People Cle, Rlaeigh, NC
Obtaining Civil Domestic Violence Protection Orders in NC with Professor Deria Hayes, Law to the People CLE, Durham, NC
Chapter 50B and 50C, Family Violence & Rape Crisis Services of Chatham County Advocacy Training, Chatham County, NC
Draftting Effective Court Orders, Law to the People CLE, Raleigh, NC
DV Orders for Minors, Lunch and Learn for Legal Aid, Raleigh, NC
Spousal Support Guidelines, JAM Family Law Conference, Hoi An, Vietnam
Australian Family Law Conference
Tort Claims in Family Law Cases, NC Annual Family Law Meeting, Charleston, SC
NC Family Bar
Every Sperm Is Sacred: Regulating Commerical Surrogacy, JAM Family Law Conference, Hoi An, Vietnam
Australian Family Law
Tort Claims in Family Law Cases, DUrham, NC
Durham Family Bar
Trauma Informed Legal Representation, Australian and Maltese Family Law Conference, Malta
NC Family Law Specialist
NC State Bar
Legal Answers
298 Questions Answered
Q. I live in north Carolina is a P. O. A still valid in the state of North Carolina after death or do i need a will
A: A power of attorney is not effective after death. You need a will. To make sure the will does what you want it to do, you should have an estate planning attorney draft, or at least, review it.
Q. My spouse filed a DBB against me.We have been physically separated for 1 year and 4 mo. Can I file an absolute divorce?
A: Divorce from Bed and board in no way tolls the one year separation for eligibility for divorce. You can absolutely countersue for an absolute divorce and schedule it as soon as legally possible. But more importantly what you need to do is consult with an attorney in your area regarding your options.
Q. im 16 and i live in north carolina.what would happen if i moved out without parental consent?
A: If you move out before the age of 18 without an order from the court that you are emancipated, your parents can have you declared an undisciplined or runaway juvenile and have you returned to the home by law enforcement. Or they can do nothing but since you're not 18, you can't get a job without their permission, you can't get school paperwork signed without them, you can't apply for college without their cooperation, you can't sign a contract to rent an apartment, or buy a car or get a credit card or open a bank account without their signature.

You're an adult when you turn 18 under the law. Almost an adult does not have any legal meaning. Almost an adult is still a minor child under the law. ... Read More
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Averett Family Law
Chapel Hill
101 Conner Dr.
Suite 402
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Telephone: (919) 903-9442
Fax: (919) 903-9515
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.