Free Consultation: (518) 205-8208Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kevin M. Colwell

Kevin M. Colwell

The Colwell Law Group, LLC
  • Divorce, Family Law
  • New York
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII PlatinumSocial Media

You deserve family law representation that is committed to you and which has the skills and experience to deliver the best possible results.

Facing a divorce or other type of family law matter on your own can be stressful and can create serious anxiety. We know what our clients are going through as they work through the family law matters they are confronting. This is why we focus on providing the most effective representation and the highest levels of personal service for our clients.

We know that ultimately people come to us for results. Our decades of combined experience negotiating and trying cases helps us build very strong cases that ensure that your best interests are being served. Our depth of knowledge of the courts and the law allow us to act as effective advocates who are able to help you secure the best possible outcomes to a wide variety of family law matters.

Beyond delivering the results people need, we work to give our clients the personal treatment they deserve as they are going through such difficult times. We familiarize our clients regarding what they can expect moving forward. We help our clients understand how the different decisions they will have to make could impact their futures. We want you to be informed and involved in your case so that we can create a strategy that is tailored to who you are and what you hope to get out of your case.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards, pay pal, cash, and checks accepted. Financing available upon request.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
New York
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
The Colwell Law Group, LLC
University of Dayton School of Law
J.D. (1997) | Law
State University of New York - College at Geneseo
B.A. (1993) | Political Science and Government
AV Preeminent
Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Professional Associations
New York State Bar # 2872984
- Current
Articles & Publications
Bankruptcy and Divorce
The blog of The Colwell Law Group, LLC
Speaking Engagements
Websites & Blogs
The Colwell Law Group, LLC
Child Custody
Legal Answers
5 Questions Answered

Q. i want to hire a NY family court lawyer, but he is employed as the court attorney. Is this a conflict or problem?
A: It is unclear from your question whether or not the attorney you wish to hire would have a conflict of interest problem. The best thing to do would be to ask the attorney directly if he or she would have a conflict of interest in the event he or she took your case.
Q. What steps do I take to give my mother temporary joint custody since we live with her and father barely come around?
A: You and your mother should file a petition seeking to modify the existing custody order. In extraordinary circumstances, the court can award custody to a grandparent. Before you do anything you should seek a consultation with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your situation in greater detail.
Q. I was married for 30 years but am now getting a divorce.
A: Yes, if your wife will be entitled to receive spousal maintenance. The guidelines for the duration of that award are based upon the length of the marriage.
Q. To a NY att'y. who specializes in matrimonial law
A: All income or assets acquired during the marriage are presumed to be marital assets. However, that presumption can be overcome if a party is able to show the separate nature of a particular asset. So, if the husband is careful to keep the inheritance separate from other marital funds, he will a good argument that the inheritance is his separate asset.
Q. The father of my children left us and moved to Ga . We live in ny. Which state does child support go by?
A: You can file for child support in New York State. Under the interstate child support act "UIFSA". Assuming you and the child have lived in NY for six months, NY is the home state for child support purposes and as the initiating jurisdiction can acquire long arm personal jurisdiction over the father in Georgia. Accordingly, New York's child support standards act guidelines and other applicable provisions would be the law of the case.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
The Colwell Law Group, LLC
200 Great Oaks Blvd.
Suite 224
Albany, NY 12203
Telephone: (518) 205-8208