Free Consultation: (610) 524-3250Tap to Call This Lawyer
Kathleen M Hyneman

Kathleen M Hyneman

I help startups and other business owners sleep well at night
  • Business Law
  • Pennsylvania
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Graduated from University of Virginia School of Law in 1989 in top 10% of class. Worked in corporate department at Saul Ewing in Philadelphia, assisting in all manners of business transactions. Joined the Corporate Legal Department at Comcast Corporation, working with Business Development on acquisitions and sales and joint ventures. Moved to the venture capital arm of Comcast Corporation as its General Counsel, overseeing legal aspects of portfolio investments.

Practice Area
  • Business Law
Additional Practice Area
  • Venture capital
  • Free Consultation
    I give free 30 minute consultations
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Most all fees are flat fees and not hourly fees.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Founder/Managing Partner
KHNETIC Legal Counsel
- Current
General Counsel
Comcast Interactive Capital
Deputy General Counsel
Comcast Corporation
Associate - Corporate Department
Saul Ewing LLP
University of Virginia School of Law
J.D. (1989)
Honors: Graduated top 10% of class
Activities: Moot Court
University of Virginia School of Law Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Pennsylvania # 57553
Placeholder image for professional associations.
American Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Chester County Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
The Importance of the Team of a Startup
KHNETIC Legal Counsel
What you Need to Know About Independent Contractors
KHNETIC Legal Counsel
Excellence in Corporate and Transactional Law
Lawyers of Distinction
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
10 Questions Answered

Q. I thought I was signing a credit card receipt at Retro Fitness and now they are saying I signed a contract!
A: There are defenses that you could make that there was no contract. The best course of action is to seek an attorney familiar with contract law and have them write a letter to Retro Fitness with the legal reasons no contract was formed. Many times, when the other party sees a letter from an attorney and they do not have a good argument that a contract was formed, they will sign a document stating that they agree with you that no contract was formed. If you have further questions you can contact me directly. Kathleen M. Hyneman, Esq. *My answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us. An engagement letter must be signed prior to the establishment of an attorney-client relationship or the providing of legal advice.
Q. Hello, do I need a permit to advertise about an event that my non-profit is hosting? We have flyers and other papers
A: The answer to this question depends upon the county where you will be distributing the flyers. Even though you are not selling anything, the township may deem that handing out the flyers is a form of soliciting contributions, and there are townships that require permits for such an activity.
Q. Recently put deposit down French drain system due to financing job was never done how do I get deposit back
A: It is sad to say that often it requires a letter from an attorney to get a quick resolution to a matter. It may be as simple as having a business attorney draft a letter to the company, however, without seeing the documents that were signed, it is not possible to say that your situation can be resolved in this manner. If I were you, I would consult with an attorney and provide them with the document you signed when you placed the deposit. The attorney will be able to tell you what legal rights you have and hopefully it is simply a matter of writing a letter. Wishing you the best of luck in getting your deposit back.
Q. Life insurance beneficiary .
A: If you are the named beneficiary on the life insurance policy, you are entitled to the benefits.
Q. I'd like to buy a business in my town - should I buy it as a corporation?
A: There are many things to consider as to manner in which you should structure the acquisition of another company. For purposes of liability, the buyer generally prefers to purchase a business by using an Asset Acquisition Agreement. This will allow the buyer to exclude any unwanted liabilities. There are considerations that should be discussed with your business lawyer as far as agreement as to how the purchase price is allocated among the assets of the company, as this will have tax implications on both the buyer and the seller. You should consult with an attorney with experience in the purchase and sale of businesses, preferably before you discuss any terms, including purchase price, with the seller. Since I do not have all the facts of your particular situation, nothing I have said shall be construed as legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed due to my answer to your question.
Q. i am in pike county pa the town is sholoa the question what is the time limitation on filing to get seurity depoist back
A: It is difficult to give you a completely accurate answer without reading the lease, but I think you should send a letter to your old landlord, certified mail, return receipt requested. Most leases will provide that the landlord has to return the security deposit within a certain number of days, or provide written notice regarding why they are not returning it. Again, it is really not possible to provide real legal advice without knowing all the circumstances and actually reading the lease and any correspondence between you and the landlord. Because I am not aware of all the facts regarding your situation, nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice from me and no attorney-client relationship is formed as a result of my answer. Kathleen Hyneman,Esq. KHNETIC Legal
Q. With a funeral agreement, does a verbal contract hold grounds over a signed contract?
A: There is something called the parol evidence rule. The parol evidence rule provides that evidence of additions or clarifications to a written contract, will not be permitted to prove the terms of the contract. The written contract governs the agreement between the parties. However, in order for the parol evidence to apply and keep out of evidence any statement the funeral director claims you made, three things must be show. First, is there evidence that the parties did have a contract. Second, is the contract void or voidable because of illegality, fraud, mistake or some other reason, and third, does the contract contain what is called an "integration" clause. An integration clause will state that what is set forth in the written contract is the entire agreement between the parties and it may not be amended except by written agreement signed by both parties. If the answer to any of these questions is "no," the parol evidence rule does not apply and the funeral director can attempt to prove you agreed to the funeral bill was going to be paid. I do question where liability falls if the funeral director claims and the court is satisfied that you said the bill would be paid. That statement does not say "you" would pay the bill. The funeral director could say that he was fraudulently induced to provide services by your verbal statement. So, to answer your question, you need to see if the agreement contains an integration clause. It seems to me that it will be difficult for the funeral director to prove that there is any liability on you, but I say this with full disclosure that I do not have all the facts to give you a complete answer.
Q. Is there any way to get out of an auto renewal service contract from Republic Trash Services?
A: Unfortunately, auto renewal provisions in contracts are legally binding. Depending upon the wording of your contract, if you do not want to pay the liquidation fees, you may want to send them a letter now to cancel for the next auto renewal. Just be sure that your contract permits you to cancel this far in advance.
Q. If a sole proprietor gets sued can joint assets between spouses be levied in PA?
A: Since Pennsylvania is not a community property state, your spouse is not liable for the debts of the sole proprietorship. However, if you have a joint bank account, the creditor could go after 50% of the account.
Click here to see all answers
Contact & Map
298 N Cote Circle
Exton, PA 19341
Telephone: (610) 524-3250