Katherine Goodman

Katherine Goodman

Stevens & Legal
  • Employment Law, Landlord Tenant, Personal Injury
  • Oregon
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

A native of Minnesota, she attended law school in Indiana where she held a clerkship with the Marshall Superior Court in Plymouth, Indiana. Heading west on the Oregon Trail, she earned a masters in law degree from Lewis & Clark College of Law in Portland before starting to practice law in Oregon.

Practice Areas
    Employment Law
    Employee Benefits, Employment Contracts, Employment Discrimination, ERISA, Overtime & Unpaid Wages, Sexual Harassment, Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
    Landlord Tenant
    Evictions, Housing Discrimination, Landlord Rights, Rent Control, Tenants' Rights
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Bar
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Stevens & Legal
- Current
Senior Associate Attorney
Senft Legal
Governmental Relations Extern
Judicial Clerk
Marshall County Courthouse
Lewis & Clark Law School
LL.M. (2018) | Animal Law
Lewis & Clark Law School Logo
Valparaiso University
J.D. (2016) | Law
Valparaiso University Logo
Bethel University & Seminary
B.S. (2011) | Biology
Placeholder image for education.
Bethel University & Seminary
B.A. (2011) | Environmental Studies
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Oregon State Bar  # 181303
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Oregon State Bar Association
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Multnomah Bar Assocation
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
21 Questions Answered
Q. Can my roommate just kick me out?
A: No your roommate cannot just "throw" you out. Your landlord only has the authority to give you a notice to vacate the premises and terminate your tenancy. Depending on the type of lease/ tenancy you have, what city you live, and why they are giving you a written notice to terminate your lease or evict you will determine the amount of time you have to vacate, leave, the premises. Additionally, there are other ordinances and other variables that need to be factored in related to the current COVID-19 pandemic and other variables such as whether your roommate is an agent of your landlord. Moreover, you do not say if you have a month to month, week to week, or a fixed term lease (e.g. 1-year lease) with your landlord. You should request a copy of the lease from your landlord. Once you get a copy of the lease and any copies of the written notices to terminate, vacate, or of eviction should be shown to a local landlord-tenant attorney to discuss your options. Good luck.
Q. Can a prospective landlord deny you as a tenet without giving reason?
A: If the landlord requires an applicant, a potential tenant, to pay an applicant screening charge and the application is denied or if an applicant makes a written request following the landlord's denial of the application, the landlord is required to promptly provide them with a written statement of one or more reasons for why they were denied. Thus, IF your daughter paid a screening charge, your daughter can make a written request to determine the reason for the denial. IF your daughter has not done this already, she should make a written request. IF the landlord fails to comply with Oregon Law in regards, your daughter may recover $100 from the landlord. Additionally, there are other facts that may apply, if your daughter is unsure on her next step she should contact a local landlord and tenant attorney for a consultation. Good Luck.
Q. What can I legally do to get back in my residence?
A: To give you a satisfactory answer it is important to know who you paid your rent to. Did you pay your rent to your ex-partner or did you pay your rent to the landlord? You should talk to a local landlord-tenant to discuss your options and determine if you have a case.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Stevens & Legal
1915 NE Stucki Avenue
Suite 308
Hillsboro, OR 97006
Telephone: (971) 533-6178
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.