(540) 433-2601
Ext. 217
Tap to Call This Lawyer
Karen L. Rowell

Karen L. Rowell

Estate Planning, Estate Administration & Elder Law Attorney, Clark & Bra
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Probate
  • Virginia
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Karen L. Rowell is an associate attorney with Clark & Bradshaw, P.C. Ms. Rowell grew up in Roanoke County, Virginia, graduating from Cave Spring High School. She received her baccalaureate degree in Family & Child Development from Virginia Tech and her juris doctor from the Marshall-Wythe School of Law at the College of William & Mary. Ms. Rowell served as a Cryptologic Technician Interpretive in the United States Navy for five years prior to attending law school and has been practicing law in Harrisonburg since 2008. Ms. Rowell focuses her practice on wills & estate planning, advanced medical directives & powers of attorney, Medicare, Medicaid & Social Security Benefits, financial & long-term care planning, revocable living trusts, life insurance trusts, special needs & charitable trusts, guardianships & conservatorships, and probate, trust & estate administration. Ms. Rowell is a qualified guardian ad litem for incapacitated adults. Ms. Rowell and her daughter, Lura Alexandra Gurth, have enjoyed living in Bridgewater since 2008 and look forward to many more years living and serving the community in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Clark & Bradshaw, P.C. is a full service law firm which has represented individuals and businesses in the Shenandoah Valley since 1948.

Practice Areas
Elder Law
Estate Planning
Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Credit Cards Accepted
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Layman & Nichols, P.C.
I spent the first ten years of my practice with this firm practicing estate planning, estate administration and elder law.
Cryptologic Technician Interpretive Petty Officer Second Class
United States Navy
I am a proud Navy veteran.
College of William and Mary
J.D. (2008) | Juris Doctor
College of William and Mary Logo
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
B.S. (1996) | Family & Child Development
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Logo
NATO Medal
Awarded during Navy service.
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Department of Defense
Awarded during Navy service.
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Former Republic of Yugoslavia
Department of Defense
Awarded during Navy service.
Good Conduct Medal
United States Navy
Professional Associations
National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Virginia Chapter
- Current
Activities: I have attended many state and national conferences. This is a wonderful organization to be a part of as an estate and elder law attorney.
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Virginia State Bar  # 76801
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Senior Advantage Program, Sentara RMH Hospital, Harrisonburg, VA
Powers of Attorney, Advance Medical Directives, Guardianships and Conservatorships
Guardian ad litem for Incapacitated Adults
Supreme Court of Virginia
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered
Q. My parents live with us and agreed to either pay on our remaining mortgage or pay us rent. What should they do?
A: A lump sum would definitely raise red flags as a gift and would have to be justified, documented and argued. Reasonable rent is easy to justify and document. It would be good to have a written lease and have them pay you rent, you can always apply it toward extra principal payments on your mortgage loan. Alternately, they could purchase a life estate in the home if you are set on a lump sum, in a documented real estate transaction with values based on the Medicaid life estate annuity tables.
Q. Co-executor in VA. One lives in Hong Kong & cannot travel due to covid and family. Can he sign rights to other co-ex?
A: He should be able to sign a waiver of qualification form and allow you to qualify without him unless the Will specifies that something different happen under the circumstances that he is not able or willing to serve.
Q. VIRGINIA. Son dies intestate. No administrator declared. Mom heir of succession. She dies in July with Will. Now what
A: Your fiance's estate would be administered as usual, except instead of his mother being his intestate heir it is now her estate since she survived him. His debts are his debts, they don't transfer to her estate. Once the debts of his estate have been paid and final distribution is made then the assets go into her estate which would be probated pursuant to her Will.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Clark & Bradshaw, P.C.
92 N. liberty Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Telephone: (540) 433-2601 Ext. 217
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.