Free Consultation: (787) 235-7448Tap to Call This Lawyer
Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera

JMRS Law Office
  • Family Law, Divorce, Domestic Violence...
  • Puerto Rico
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial MediaResponsive Law

Jose Rivera is currently admitted to practice of law and litigation in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as admitted to its Federal District Court.

He is fluently bilingual in English and Spanish and possess a broad experience in the general litigation practice.
Those experiences, skills and duties that include, but are not limited to civil procedures, corporate and business litigation, family law, divorce litigation, child custody, criminal law and procedures, administrative procedures, Immigration and bankruptcy procedures, probate law, labor law, collections, neighbors disputes, TROs, property law, real estate, Evictions, Torts, diverse contracts, property regime and complete aspect of condominium laws, and appeals.

During his early years he has worked assisting different attorneys and Judges from the First Instance Court. This has given him the experience to develop drafting, research. negotiation, defense, litigation and other skills which motivated me to pursue an active litigation career.

Practice Areas
  • Family Law
  • Divorce
  • Domestic Violence
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Civil Rights
  • Workers' Compensation
  • Foreclosure Defense
  • Consumer Law
  • Business Law
  • Collections
  • Elder Law
  • Medical Malpractice
  • Products Liability
  • Probate
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Gov & Administrative Law
  • Personal Injury
  • Juvenile Law
  • Immigration Law
  • Insurance Claims
Additional Practice Areas
  • Inheritance and Estate Law
  • Civil Actions
  • Free Consultation
  • Contingent Fees
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Open to payment plans and payment arrangements for the client convenience are welcome.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Puerto Rico
Federal Circuit
  • English: Spoken, Written
  • Spanish: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
- Current
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Puerto Rico
J.D. (2011) | Law, General Practice
Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico - Ponce Campus
B.B.A. (2008) | Business Administration, Information systems
Honors: Cum Laude
Motion of Congratulation and Recognition of Defense of Consumer Affairs
Puerto Rico Senate
National Defense Service Medal
US Army
Army Commendation Achievement Medal
US Army
Army Service Ribbon
US Army
Overseas Service Ribbon
US Army
Good Conduct Medal
US Army
Professional Associations
Puerto Rico Bar
Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity Diego Chapter
- Current
International Law Association PUCPR
Environmental Law Organization PUCPR
Pro Consumer Affairs Association PURPC
Advanced U.S. Immigration Law
US Immigration Institute
Observer of Civil Rights
Civil Rights Orgnanization, Puerto Rico chapter
US Army
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
6 Questions Answered

Q. What rights do fathers have in custody cases?
A: There are child support guidelines that establish this monthly payment. The amount she's requesting sounds a bit exorbitant or exaggerated. In the end it all goes down two the monthly income of both parents and the guidelines to determine the amount to e paid and the responsibility of both parents towards the children. The father is entitled to visitation rights and if the kids are old enough to have a say in court to ask to go live with him, the court will evaluate this possibility always talking in consideration the well being of the children and where is the best option to ensure the best lifestyle as for school and other factors that will improve the quality of life for the children. As I wrote, they will have a say if they wish to live in Florida and if they're quality of life, education requirements, health care facilities, recreation facilities and other criteria improve their way of life. Yes, there are child support laws in Puerto Rico and you can file in court to guarantee your parental visitation rights and there maybe a possibility that the court determines some sort of custody option if it's the best for the kids.
Q. What are alimony laws in Puerto Rico?
A: There is no alimony under Puerto Rico law. But she could ask for parental support. You have to evaluate some legal requirements to know if she's entitled to it. Some specifics of the marriage have to be evaluated in order to determine this: the existence of a prenuptial agreement; the existence of joint properties, businesses, bonds, bank accounts; is she unemployed among other factors. If the kids are under legal age you will also have to pay child support.
Q. Child Support through ASUME in PR for 2 kids. the oldest recently came to live with me. How can I proceed about the CS?
A: You and the family lawyer that you hire will have to file the correspondent ASUME claims and allegations in your original case in Puerto Rico.
Q. Does a person filing divorce have to go to family court in Puerto Rico to determine custody of children?
A: Yes, the divorce process will be filed and handled in Family Court in Puerto Rico. The family court will also oversee every process that has to do with the parental rights and visitation rights as well as the child custody and the child support matters. It is public policy of the upmost importance for a family court and the State to look out for the well being of the children that are under the Puerto Rico Jurisdiction.
Q. We're curious if we are currently living in the states and my husband pays child support here, would he still be.. oblig
A: If you were to close the child support case in the State that you're actually have your legal residence and move to Puerto Rico while your child is legally underage (under 21 years of age) in the jurisdiction of Puerto Rico, given other requirements, you should be able to hire legal representation to reopen your case in Puerto Rico.
Q. In puerto rico I'm backed up on child support . Can I be denied visitation of my child?
A: Usually one thing doesn’t have to cause any affect on the other. So a simple answer should be, no, it doesn’t prevent you from exercising your parental and visitation rights. The child support debt and the visitation rights are two separate issues. If there’s a judgement that states that you’re entitled to visitations and exercising your parental rights, it shouldn’t interfere on exercising your parental rights. This doesn't mean that this debt won’t have legal consequences. As a parent you have moral and legal obligations with your dependent. If you’re backed up on your child support debt, chances are that the agency will try to enforce the payment of the debt by collecting through different means. If the debt is substantial it becomes delinquent and you might be facing other situations that you may have to attend by hiring legal representation. It is highly recomendable to higher an attorney so you can negotiate a payment plan for this debt. If a court of law doesn’t have an official judgement that guarantees your parental rights, it is highly recommended that you higher legal representation so you can make it official and enforced by a court of law.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Jmrs Law Office
115 609 Ave. Tito Castro Suite 102
Ponce, PR 00716
Telephone: (787) 235-7448