John Joseph Rizzo III

John Joseph Rizzo III

Up North Elder Law, PLC
  • Elder Law, Estate Planning, Social Security Disability ...
  • Michigan
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media
Practice Areas
    Elder Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Social Security Disability
    Military Law
    Veteran's Benefits
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
6th Circuit
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Owner and Elder Law Attorney
Up North Elder Law, PLC
- Current
Elder Law Attorney
Swogger, Bruce & Millar Law Firm, P.C.
- Current
Legal Counsel
Bay Area Caskets, LLC
- Current
Rizzo & Associates, PLC
Associate Attorney
Dingeman, Dancer & Christopherson, PLC
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
J.D. (1998)
Placeholder image for education.
Emory University School of Law
Emory University School of Law Logo
University of Miami
B.A. (1995) | Political Science
University of Miami Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan  # P58946
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Bullseye Strategy
Jeff Bartel Miami
Legal Answers
22 Questions Answered
Q. Is there any way to know if a loved ones will was put through will contest and then found to be invalid?
A: You should contact the probate court for the county the loved one lived in when they passed away. If there was a will contest it would be in the court records. If you are not sure of the county, you can call other counties in the area and any counties where the loved one used to live.

There is no universal database; it takes some investigation. If a will was found invalid, one probate court will have the records.
Q. My brother is moms legal conservator and I am her legal guardian. She has an old will. Will we avoid probate or no?
A: Generally, a will does not avoid probate. Many different factors can determine if a probate is needed, or not. For example, does she own real property? If she does, how is it titled? If she owns real property that is only in her name, you will need to probate her estate. If she does not own real property, and all her bank accounts and investments have beneficiary designations, there would most likely be no need for a probate, regardless of the status of the will.

You should contact a Michigan estate planning attorney for a free consultation. Your question should be easy to answer with a little more information.
Q. My dad recently passed away, my brother has access to all paperwork and says there was no will, how do I know the truth?
A: If your father used an attorney or firm, you may be able to get information about any documents. Sometimes you can track down an attorney through passing comments, business cards, branded sticky notes, etc. The same advice would work for the IRAs, you would be looking for any mention of a financial planner or insurance salesman. Tax preparers are also a good source of information.

You can check with the probate court for any counties he resided in on the off chance he filed a will.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Up North Elder Law, PLC
4371 Deerfield Lane
Traverse City, MI 49684
Telephone: (231) 437-7779
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.