Profile Image Placeholder

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce, Family Law, Personal Injury ...
  • Colorado
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A

John has practiced law in Boulder Colorado since 1975. John has represented individuals and small businesses in a variety of matters, including divorce, family law, civil litigation and real estate. He has been the co-chair of the Boulder County Family Law Committee and served as associate judge of the Louisville Municipal Court.

Practice Areas
    Collaborative Law, Contested Divorce, Military Divorce, Property Division, Same Sex Divorce, Spousal Support & Alimony, Uncontested Divorce
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Personal Injury
    Animal & Dog Bites, Brain Injury, Car Accidents, Construction Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Premises Liability, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
    Real Estate Law
    Commercial Real Estate, Condominiums, Easements, Eminent Domain, Homeowners Association, Land Use & Zoning, Mortgages, Neighbor Disputes, Residential Real Estate, Water Law
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    Visa, Mastercard, American Express,Discover
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
University of California - Davis
J.D. (1974) | Law
University of California - Davis Logo
Professional Associations
Colorado State Bar  # 6315
- Current
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Articles & Publications
Colorado Domestic Relations Law:Primer on Collection Law
Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc.
Speaking Engagements
Domestic Relations Collections: Using Judgment Remedies to collect Child Support, Maintenance and other Monetary Awards, Boulder, Colorado
Boulder County Bar Association
A step by step primer on collections in domestic cases. Topics include obtaining the judgment, garnishing wages and bank accounts, filing judgment liens on real estate, and basic asset discovery.
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
562 Questions Answered
Q. Considering divorce. Do we need a legal separation agreement? If I leave the house does that have negative legal weight?
A: You do not necessarily need a separation agreement just because you and your spouse are separating. You will need a "Separation Agreement" in order to finalize a divorce. This agreement contains details regarding your property division and support issues. Leaving the house is not usually a problem. You do not forfeit any claims to the property division. However, you would be at a disadvantage if you later ask the divorce court for the exclusive use of the house while the divorce is pending. Yes, you should consult with an attorney about this.
Q. I received a settlement offer about child support fm my son's father & I don't know if its the best choice or even legal
A: You may or may not want to accept the offer. It depends on whether you can realistically collect the full amount owed. Also, interest accrues at 12% per annum, compounded monthly, on unpaid child support-so the amount owed may be more than you realize. Also, this probably should not affect the right to FUTURE payments. You should consult with an attorney to help you decide what to do.
Q. Mom & Dad passed away. 2 homes 4 siblings. 1 brother is living in 1 homew/other peole, need 2 sell how do you get him o
A: One option: Have one of the children file for probate and ask to be appointed personal representative of the estate. The PR can bring an eviction action if necessary. The PR can then sell the properties and administer the estate by paying any liabilities and distributing the proceeds among the heirs.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
357 S. McCaslin Blvd.
suite 200
Louisville, CO 80027
Telephone: (303) 928-2300
Monday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Tuesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Wednesday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Thursday: 9 AM - 5 PM (Today)
Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.