Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII Gold
- Traffic Tickets
- DUI & DWI
Additional Practice Areas
- Reckless Driving, Careless Driving and Other Traffic Misdemeanors
- Serious Traffic Violations
- Commercial Driver's Representation (CDL)
- License Suspensions
- Free Consultation
Our staff will complete an intake with every potential client and Mr. Valdez personally reviews each intake - clients are then given pricing, case analysis and likely outcomes.
- Credit Cards Accepted
We accept most Credit and Debit Cards.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- New Mexico
- Glenn Smith Valdez
- - Current
- University of New Mexico School of Law
- J.D. (1995) | Criminal Law; Trial Practice
- Honors: 1996 Award for Excellence in Criminal Defense
- Activities: ATLA National Mock Trial Team NACDL National Mock Trial Team
- University of New Mexico
- B.A. (1992)
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Life Member
- The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100
- - Current
- Colorado State Bar # 29140
- - Current
- New Mexico State Bar # 8740
- - Current
- New Mexico Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- - Current
Websites & Blogs
- Glenn Smith Valdez's Website Profile
- New Mexico Traffic Ticket Information
- New Mexico DWI Information
- Glenn Smith Valdez Website
- Glenn Smith Valdez Traffic Ticket Website
8 Questions Answered
- Q. I got a street racing ticket and so did the guy I was racing, everyone else was racing around us too. Can I fight it?
- A: Yes you can, and yes you should. A ticket like this has big consequences and keeping it off your driving record should be a priority. A Traffic Lawyer would be a big plus in dealing with this situation. -Glenn Smith Valdez
- Q. i Got pulled over with my learners permit and I have to go to court by a certain date. What’s going to happen ?
- A: Get your provisional and go to court. Negotiate with the officer and ask him or her tax agree to a deferred sentence. You will pay court costs but if you get the deferred sentence And don’t get any tickets for 90 days your record will remain clean.
- Q. I'm a cdl driver and had a different do to wind and getting charged with careless driving what should I do
- A: When a careless driving charge involves a crash, the cases are more complicated and difficult to deal with. Sometimes that complication can be used by a good attorney to help win the case. A great attorney will request all of the discovery, witness statements, video, crash reports. They will review everything and determine what the best possible outcome is. It may be a plea to a reduced charge such as failure to maintain a traffic lane, or it may be that the best solution is to go to trial and hope for a victory. Whatever happens a great attorney will get the client the best possible result, and do everything they can to protect their drivers license and record. This is a serious charge for a CDL holder. Get yourself an experienced traffic lawyer as soon as possible.
- Q. If an officer didn't give me a paper ticket when stopped, should I be expecting one in the mail?
- A: It depends. In very rare cases, an officer will have a Summons issued to have you appear in court for a traffic violation. However, that typically is in situations where ther is a crash. You said you were pulled over. What did the officer tell you? Perhaps he or she just gave you a warning? Think back to the traffic stop, you may be able to remember what was said and answer the question yourself.
- Q. I got a speeding ticket for going 72 In a 45, the officer said if I take a driving saftey course, nothing will show up..
- A: Without looking at your citation it is a difficult question to answer. You should contact the court and see what they can tell you about the situation. You are on the right track wanting to keep it off your driving record. The fine is very high as well and you should try to avoid paying that if possible. You may want to consider consulting with an experienced traffic ticket lawyer who can review the citation and give you a more accurate explanation - Glenn Smith Valdez
- Q. Can you be charged with careless driving in a private parking lot?
- A: Careless driving does not apply in a parking lot. Reckless, however, can be committed in a parking lot. Reckless has a higher “mens rea” or intent element, meaning simply being negligent will not suffice. It also carries mandatory jail. This is a serious offense. You should consult with an experienced traffic lawyer. -Glenn Smith Valdez
- Q. How long can your license be suspended for not paying a ticket
- A: You license will be suspended until you meet conditions for reinstatement: until you pay the ticket. If you are caught driving while your license is suspended, you are facing mandatory jail time and an additional one year suspension of your license. You should pay your ticket promptly, before the consequences become more expensive and more serious. -Glenn Smith Valdez
- Q. Careless driving, doing 106 on a 55 zone what could happen?
- A: While jail is a possibility with a careless driving charge in New Mexico - (up to 9 days and up to a $300 fine) it is very very unlikely. Quite simply, the jails in our state are overcrowded and expensive to run, the last thing most judges want to do is put the mother of a two-year old in jail. You should try to put the worry of jail behind you and consider the realistic results. A conviction for careless driving will put 3 points on your New Mexico Drivers License, and will likely result in higher insurance rates. There are ways to avoid this - you many want to seek legal counsel, or if you cannot afford a lawyer request the appointment of a public defender. In the end, there is an excellent chance that you can keep this charge off your driving record.
Contact & Map