Courtney Edwards

Courtney Edwards

Carlson & Carlson, Attorneys at Law, P.C.
  • Criminal Law, Divorce, DUI & DWI...
  • Colorado
Rate This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Courtney Edwards graduated from the University of Wyoming College of Law in May of 2013, with honors, and is a member of the Order of the Coif. During law school she was an active member of the board for the student bar association, the Potter Law Club, and a member of Wyoming Law Students for Equal Justice.

After graduating, Courtney worked as a Deputy District Attorney in Eagle, Colorado, prosecuting traffic, misdemeanor, and felony cases. During her time with the District Attorney’s Office, Courtney acted as the prosecutorial representative on the local Access to Justice Committee as well as the Recovery Courts (DUI Court and Drug Court) in Eagle County.

Courtney has intimate knowledge and experience with the criminal justice system. She is a strong advocate for those finding themselves in the system and will provide guidance along the way. Courtney also holds strong beliefs that everyone should have equal access to justice through the courts. That means adequate assistance and representation in all types of cases, especially where family and children are involved. Courtney is committed to helping those in need by offering services to help in family law matters and estate planning.

Though Courtney may have grown up under the great blue skies of Wyoming, she is now proud to call the beautiful Vail Valley home and loves to explore all Colorado has to offer. When away from the office she enjoys camping, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, and whitewater SUP with her new husband, Jamie.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • Divorce
  • DUI & DWI
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Probate
  • Appeals & Appellate
  • Domestic Violence
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Real Estate Law
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    Free consultation for criminal matters. For all other matters pleas contact our office for consultation fees.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Associate Attorney
Carlson & Carlson, Attorneys at Law, P.C.
- Current
Deputy District Attorney
5th Judicial District Attorney's Office
University of Wyoming College of Law
J.D. (2013)
Honors: Graduated with Honors, Dean's List
Activities: Potter Law Club (student bar association), Wyoming Law Students for Equal Justice, Delta Theta Phi
University of Wyoming
B.S. (2007) | Marketing
Honors: Dean's List
Order of the Coif
University of Wyoming College of Law Chapter of the Order of the Coif
For high attainments in the study of law
Professional Associations
State Bar of Colorado # 46109
Rotary International
- Current
5th Judicial District Access to Justice
- Current
Websites & Blogs
Legal Answers
27 Questions Answered

Q. I need to know what motions to file to Quash a warrant in Adams county co
A: You would file a "Motion to Quash Warrant."
Q. What are the penalties expected for a first offender of code 42-4-1301(1)(b) if blood alcohol content was 0.06
A: If you are convicted of or plead guilty to DWAI first, the possible penalties are 2 -180 days in jail, completion of an alcohol evaluation and any recommended treatment, a fine of $200 - $500, 24 hours of community service, and up to two years of supervised probation. However, you should ask for a deferred judgment or some other type of plea because if you plead guilty to DWAI with a .06, it still counts as a "first offense" if you were to get a second one.
Q. Am I assigned a public defender when arrested?
A: Your income would need to fall below a certain threshold to be assigned a public defender. You'll need to fill out an application and submit it to the court. You will also need to submit income documentation to the public defender's office.
Q. I'm currently in the beginning stages of a divorce. My wife got an attorney to file and initiate the paperwork that
A: Signing a waiver will alleviate the need to have you served by a Sheriff. They could have had you file jointly but sounds like this isn't the route that was taken. Regarding your financials- the both of you will have to fill out and file a Sworn Financial Statement. That is what they are asking for. JDF 1111 is the form that you'll need to fill out - you can find it on the Colorado Judicial website. Additionally, you'll need to provide statements to back up the numbers you put on the sworn financial statement, such as bank statements, mortgage statements, etc. If your financial situation is fairly uncomplicated, this should be a straightforward process. However, don't by shy about scheduling a consultation with an attorney so that you are advised of your rights and responsibilities through this process.
Q. My child is 16 and wants to live with me, with the noncustodial parent, but we want to move out of state.
A: You would need to file a motion to relocate and have a hearing if the other parent does not agree. Because your child is 16, the judge may consider his/her input. But these are hard cases to win. You should consult with an attorney to help you with this matter.
Q. I have been summoned to court for a theft ticket in Colorado. Can they use my prior felony theft convictions against me
A: Yes and no. The prosecution can use your felony theft conviction at trial to discredit your statements to police or your testimony if you choose to testify. They can also use your prior convictions as aggravating factors when it comes to sentencing to support a harsher sentence. If the current theft charge you are accused of is similar in method or scheme, they could use your prior theft cases to prove it was you who committed theft again this time. The prosecution is not allowed, however, to make the argument that because you've stolen in the past, you again stole this time.
Q. Where do I file papers for legal guardianship in Colorado?
A: Start here: You'll need to file in the District Court in the county where your niece's son lives and have the judge approve the guardianship. There is a bit more to it than your niece just signing a piece of paper. The link above has all the steps and forms you'll need to fill out.
Q. if you are issued a a 12-35.5-155 citation what penalty does this carry
A: I think you have an incorrect statute number. Article 35.5 of Title 12 only goes up to Section 120. If you meant a violation of 12-35.5-115, a first offense is a Class 2 misdemeanor which can include a fine of $250 - $1000, and/or a jail sentence of 3 months - 12 months. A second or subsequent offense is a Class 1 misdemeanor which can include a fine of $500 - $5000 and/or a jail sentence of 6 months to 18 months.
Q. My wife hand delivered a petition for divorce. I executed an Acceptance and waiver of service. What starts the calendar
A: The date you signed the waiver.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Carlson & Carlson, Attorneys at Law, P.C.
56 Edwards Village Blvd.
Ste 121, Unit 1
Edwards, CO 81632
Telephone: (970) 845-7090
Fax: (970) 668-5121
Carlson & Carlson, Attorneys at Law, P.C.
975 North Ten Mile Drive, Suite E-1
PO Box 1829
Frisco, CO 80443
Telephone: (970) 668-1678
Fax: (970) 668-5121