Free Consultation: (616) 965-6864Tap to Call This Lawyer
Profile Image Placeholder
  • Appeals & Appellate, Criminal Law, Estate Planning ...
  • Michigan
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Brent Geers specializes in helping people empower those they trust and provide for those they love. Brent has been an attorney since 2012, working with individuals and families to marshal their time, talent, and treasurer for the benefit of their children, family, and community. He is a Grand Rapids Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” honoree, and currently operates his own practice, Geers Law. Brent is married to an educator, who employs his services as a chaperon for various school functions. He is also his daughter’s father – a girl who will become a president, not a princess.

Practice Areas
    Appeals & Appellate
    Civil Appeals, Federal Appeals
    Criminal Law
    Criminal Appeals, Drug Crimes, Expungement, Fraud, Gun Crimes, Internet Crimes, Sex Crimes, Theft, Violent Crimes
    Estate Planning
    Guardianship & Conservatorship Estate Administration, Health Care Directives, Trusts, Wills
    Family Law
    Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support, Father's Rights, Guardianship & Conservatorship, Paternity, Prenups & Marital Agreements, Restraining Orders, Same Sex Family Law
    Probate Administration, Probate Litigation, Will Contests
    Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, Debt Relief
    Elder Law
  • Free Consultation
    Free consultations are available by phone only. I apply all other consultation fees toward subsequent fees for legal services.
  • Credit Cards Accepted
    All major credit cards.
  • Contingent Fees
    Blended contingency fee involves a reduced hourly fee and approximately 15% of the judgment amount.
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    A reduced rate schedule is available to veterans with demonstrated income below 400% of the federal poverty line. A discount is always available to K-12 teachers and support staff, law enforcement personnel, and veterans whose income exceeds 400% of the federal poverty line.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Adjunct Professor
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- Current
Adjunct professor of estate planning.
Counselor & Attorney
Geers Law, PLC
- Current
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
J.D. (2012) | Legal Education
Honors: Deans List
Activities: Cooley Veterans Club
Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Logo
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
B.A. (2001) | American Culture
Activities: Resident Advisor
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor Logo
Professional Associations
State Bar of Michigan  # P75904
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Criminal Law Section
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Speaking Engagements
Life Essentials Workshop, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Urban Core Collective
Accredited Attorney
Veterans Affairs
Websites & Blogs
Geers Law
Legal Answers
2169 Questions Answered
Q. Do inmates have rights as far as HIPPA or privacy rights that guards are not allowed to share with people?
A: Without knowing what information specifically, it's hard to say. Some information on your boyfriend's file may also be public information, such as charges.

Might be unprofessional, at worse, but could be more. Larger issue is that unless the disclosure is something pretty major, all he'll be able to do about it is get her in trouble (e.g. written up or possibly fired). It won't do anything as far as his case is concerned and may make his stay at the jail more difficult.
Q. Legally, is the next of kin to a biological child, both biological parents?
A: The next-of-kin for a minor child would be one or both LEGAL parents, which in most cases are the same as biological parents. Fathers of children born out of wedlock need to establish paternity to become the legal father. Even when children are born of a marriage, a court's custody determination may affect which parent is next-of-kin.
Q. A person representing friend of court lied to the judge in court. What do I do? I have proof.
A: To change support, you need to meet a threshold for a change: generally, the new guideline amount would need to differ by more than $50 or 10%. So the issue you are facing is not so much the FOC worker testified to a differing amount on the checks; the issue is whether they properly calculated a new support amount based on the information you provided and whether that amount met the threshold. If it didn't, then there's no cause to change support, even if the worker misstated the check amounts.

You are doing the right thing by getting a transcript, but there's more work ahead for you.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Downtown Grand Rapids
15 Ionia Ave SW STE 530
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Telephone: (616) 965-6864
Fax: (616) 536-8408
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.