Brent Bowden

Brent Bowden

Genesis Law Firm, PLLC
  • Estate Planning, Business Law, Probate ...
  • Washington
Review This Lawyer
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&A
Practice Areas
  • Estate Planning
  • Business Law
  • Probate
  • Landlord Tenant
  • Real Estate Law
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    My hourly rate is $220. Flat rates also available for some services.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
Placeholder image for jurisdictions.
Professional Experience
Genesis Law Firm, PLLC
- Current
Purcell Legal & Mediation Services, PLLC
Assistant City Attorney
City of Seattle
Vermont Law School
J.D. (2011) | Law
Honors: Magna cum laude
Vermont Law School Logo
University of Washington
B.A. (2006) | Political Science
Placeholder image for education.
Professional Associations
Washington State Bar Association  # 44316
Placeholder image for professional associations.
Websites & Blogs
Business Law
Estate Planning
Legal Answers
25 Questions Answered

Q. In WA, What do I file to take immediate control of father's estate?
A: The typical way to gain control of his probate would be by initiating a probate, but, as you indicated, that requires a final death certificate. The court can appoint a special administrator if there is something critical that must be addressed before a personal representative can be appointed (RCW 11.32 I would suggest you discuss this with a local probate attorney. Powers of Attorney are only effective while the person who executed them is living. As soon as someone dies, the power of attorney ceases to be effective.
Q. my mom is giving my nephew my stepdads house and its not in her name can she do that?
A: If your mom did not have a will, you would have a right to it before your nephew. However, while your mom is alive, she can do more or less whatever she wants with her property. Likewise, she can leave it to whoever she wants in her will. At that point, you would have no right. As far as who owns it now, the finance company does not control that. They also don't really get to choose whose name the property is in. That whole part seems odd. But, assuming your step-dad had a will, he could leave it to whoever he wanted. If he didn't, at least a portion of it would likely be your mother's. Absent a will leaving some portion of the house to you, you would have no interest other than what you might get eventually from your mother.
Q. Can I make a secret will that my husband will not know about until my death?
A: There is no requirement that your husband be aware of your will. But there are risks to a secret or surprise will. In the event you died and your husband survived you, he would be likely to open a probate assuming your old will or as if you didn't have one. If nobody brings the secret will to court, it would be like you never had it. Wills that are surprises are also potentially more likely to result in challenges to their validity. And, lastly, Washington is a community property state, so that impacts what property you can devise in your will and it gives your Husband certain rights with regard to community property. I would suggest that you enlist the help of an attorney if you are considering doing something like this. The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and I nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided by me here without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction.
View More Answers
Contact & Map
Genesis Law Firm, PLLC
3802 Colby Ave Ste 2
Everett, WA 98201
Toll-Free: (866) 631-0028
Telephone: (425) 212-1789
Genesis Law Firm, PLLC
1833 N. 105th St. #307
Seattle, WA 98133
Toll-Free: (866) 631-0028
Telephone: (206) 535-2900
Toggle tool

There are no recently viewed profiles.

There are no saved profiles.

There are no profiles to compare.