Free Consultation: (888) 888-0919Tap to Call This Lawyer
Bari Weinberger

Bari Weinberger

Expert Divorce and Family Law Attorney
  • Divorce, Family Law, Domestic Violence...
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ASocial Media

Bari Z. Weinberger is the founder and managing partner of Weinberger Divorce & Family Law Group, New Jersey’s largest divorce and family law firm, with locations in Bergen, Burlington, Monmouth, Morris, Somerset and Union Counties. As a family law expert, Bari is Certified as a Matrimonial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court, a designation held by only a small percentage of lawyers stateside. She is an experienced family law mediator and also holds an "AV" Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review. Her peer rating is based on exemplary work and high ethical standards in the field of New Jersey family and matrimonial law. Bari also volunteers as an expert panelist at the Morris County court in the Early Settlement Panel program. The program offers neutral recommendations to litigants and their attorneys who have not yet settled their matters in the hopes of assisting them in reaching a resolution. Outside the courtroom, Bari Weinberger is a published author and accomplished media personality who has contributed to the Wall Street Journal, Smart Money, Star Ledger, Access Hollywood, CBS, ABC, NBC, PIX-Channel 11, NJ 101.5 radio, Huffington Post, Forbes, the New Jersey Law Journal, and other leading media outlets. She is also a coauthor of Military Family Law (Reuters) and an Associate Author of the New Jersey Family Law Practice (15th edition, 2103), a five-volume reference guide used by virtually every family law judge and lawyer in the state of New Jersey. A 1997 graduate of Suffolk University Law School (J.D.), Bari Weinberger has been honored as a NJBIZ Top 50 Women in Business and Top 25 Leading Women Entrepreneur, and named a New Jersey SuperLawyer for two years running (2015, 2016). Her firm has been nominated as a Top 100 NJ Best Places to work for the past three consecutive years.

Practice Areas
  • Divorce
  • Family Law
  • Domestic Violence
  • Arbitration & Mediation
Additional Practice Areas
  • Adoption and Kinship Legal Guardianships
  • Alimony and Palimony
  • Child Custody
  • Child Support
  • Dissolution of Domestic Partnerships/Civil Unions and Same Sex Marriages
  • Division of Assets-Equitable Distribution
  • Emancipation
  • Legal Separation
  • Matrimonial Law
  • Paternity
  • Post Divorce Matters
  • Pre and Post Nuptial Agreements
  • Relostion out of the State of New Jersey with a child
  • Visitation and Parenting Time
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Weinberger Law Group, LLC
- Current
Iandoli, Edens & Weinberger
Cutler, Simeone, Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark
Associate Attorney
Cutler, Simeone, Townsend, Tomaio & Newmark
Associate Attorney
Finnerty LaRocca & Sherwood
Associate Attorney
Goldstein & Bachman
Judicial Law Clerk
Middlesex County Superior Court, Family Part
Suffolk University Law School
University of Massachusetts - Amherst
B.A. / Legal Studies, Sociology and English
Double majored in Legal Studies and Sociology with a Minor in English
NJ Biz Best 50 Women in Business
NJ Biz
New Jersey Leading Women Entrepreneurs-2013
NJ Monthly
Woman Business Owner of the Year Finalist
Women's Center for Entrepreneurship Corporation
Ten Leaders Under age 45 in Matrimonial and Divorce Law
Ten Leaders
2009 to present
AVVO Rating 10/10 Superb
Martindale Hubbell- Preeminent AV Rating
Martindale Hubbell
Professional Associations
American Bar Assocaition
Family Law Section Member
Family Law Inn
Master/Board member
Morris County Family Court in the Early Settlement Program
Expert Panelist
Passaic County Family Court in the Early Settlement Program
Expert Panelist
Passaic County Kids Count Program
County College of Morris - Randolph and Morristown
Volunteer Family Law Consultant
Morris County Bar Association
- Current
American Inns of Court
- Current
American Trial Lawyers Association
Family Law Executive Committee
Bergen County Bar Association
Middlesex County Bar Association
Articles & Publications
'Tis the Season... To Give Divorce Gifts? | December 19, 2012
Huffington Post
Dealing with Disasters & Aftermath Of Superstorm Sandy, Divorced or Not | November 12, 2012
Huffington Post
Divorce: Take Time for Emotional Clarity in Decisions | March 19, 2013
Huffington Post
Kids fare better in same-sex divorces, too: A Q&A On Gay Divorce
Military Divorce: Why Are So Many Female Service Members Getting Divorced?
Diversity Journal
Interview: New Tax Rules Complicate Divorce
Wall Street Journal
Binders Full of Divorce Clients? How To Election-Proof Your Marriage
Huffington Post
Divorce and Devotion: How Does Religion Factor In Splits?
Huffington Post
Divorcing Parents: 5 Tips For A Successful School Year
Huffington Post
Interview: Do ATRO requirements vary from state to state?
10 Things Divorce Attorneys Won't Say
Smart Money
House Rules: 5 Tips To Being Divorced And Still Living Together
Huffington Post
Don't Let Social Media Sabotage Your Divorce
Huffington Post
Who's Your Daddy? Paternity Testing and the Nature of Fatherhood
Huffington Post
Dating During Divorce? Not So Fast...
Huffington Post
Four Common Misconceptions When Contemplating Divorce
Top 4 Tax Tips For Divorcing Couples
Huffington Post
Minimizing the Impacts of Divorce
Ehealth Radio Network
6 Ways Divorced Parents Can Get More Time With Their Children During the Holidays
Huffington Post
In Today's Uncertain Financial Times, Mediated Divorce Makes More Sense Than Ever
Huffington Post
New Jersey Family Law Practice, Associate Author, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 14th Ed., 2010
New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education
Matrimonial Law Attorney
New Jersey Supreme Court
Certified Family Law Mediator
Legal Answers
14 Questions Answered

Q. my husband cheated & both of our names are on the deed to the house I paid the mortage from my bank act can he take half
A: I'm so sorry that you are going through this tough situation. You bring up several issues in your question that would have to be explored a bit more in order to give you really sound and complete advice. But, I can give you some general guidelines in the hopes that that helps you. New Jersey is an equitable distribution state, meaning that marital assets are divided equitably, or fairly, and not necessarily 50/50. The court looks at your marriage like a business: who contributed what? Who brought what to the table? How do we divide up these assets or debts fairly? The first step is to determine what is martial property (property that was gotten during the marriage) and then figure out how that property should be divided. Your house would indeed be seen as marital property if it was purchase during your marriage (I am assuming it was) and therefore, would be subject to division. But, the court will evaluate who contributed to the property and how. You indicate that you have paid the entire mortgage. That would be taken into account. The court will also want to know if your husband has put any money at all into the home, including home improvements, upkeep, etc. That would be taken into account as well. Bottom line is, how would the house be divided fairly? Since you indicate you financially support him, you may be on the hook for spousal support, but again, more information would be needed. Did your husband ever work? What is his education level? Do you have children? Of course, do not share too much personal information on this open forum. Pensions are different and can be complicated. The general rule is that a spouse is entitled to one-half of what was put into the pension during the term of the marriage, so from date of marriage to the date of the filing of the complaint for divorce. It is important to know that NJ is a no-fault divorce state. So, while adultery is terribly painful, courts do not punish bad behavior by giving one spouse more money or giving the cheating spouse less. If you spouse spent marital money on the affair, however, he could be liable to put that money back into the marital pot. As you can see, divorce law is very fact specific and depends greatly on your specific circumstances. I advise you to talk to an attorney and at least get some detailed advice. We have offices throughout New Jersey and many other family law attorneys offer free consults, as well. I hope this was helpful. Regards, Bari
Q. There was a court order for physical custody in New Jersey in 2012. The children have lived with me for the past five
A: Hello and thanks for your question. Jurisdiction can indeed be a tricky area of the law to navigate, here in New Jersey and without looking at your specific court order, it is a little challenging for me to answer you completely. I'd be happy to give you a brief overview, however, in the hopes that that will assist you. Typically, jurisdiction for custody cases in New Jersey remains with New Jersey until a child has lived in another state for at least six months. After that, New Jersey no longer is the "home state" of the child, and jurisdiction would presumably belong to the new state, in your case, North Carolina. How jurisdiction over children and custody matters works in North Carolina is not something I can speak about, because I am not an attorney there. For more information about North Carolina laws, speak with an attorney admitted to practice there. You indicate that there is a court order for custody from New Jersey in 2012, and here's why this is important: the order may specifically state that New Jersey keeps jurisdiction, no matter where the child moves. Does your order indicate that? Some other questions: are you one of the parents of the child? To whom was custody granted? If you were not given custody, why is the child with you? I don't want you to be too personal or specific on this general forum, but these are the types of questions that a family law attorney would ask in a consultation. To that end, you should consider having a consultation with a New Jersey attorney, so they can speak with you about all the details of your case and advise you specifically about your family. We can offer you a telephone consultation as you are in North Carolina, but many family law attorneys offer free consults, as well. Wishing you luck and thanks again for your question. Regards, Bari
Q. If my child is 18 and moved out of her moms home. Do i still have to pay her child support direct? Is she emancipated
A: Hello, and thank you for your question. When a child no longer needs child support can be a tricky question, indeed. First, let's talk about emancipation and what that means here in New Jersey. When child is no longer in need of his or her parent's financial support or input into their decision-making, they are considered "outside the sphere of influence" of their parents and, therefore, emancipated. There is no automatic age, except for the rule that child support must end at 23, no matter what. But, child support can continue through college and up to the age of 23. As you can probably guess, this is really fact-specific for each family and it would be for yours, as well. Some further information that a family law attorney would need in order to answer you more completely would be: Is you daughter working full-time? Is she in school full-time? Is she living on her own and paying rent? How is she making her bills? Of course, do not give out too much personal information, here; rather, think about these issues in preparation for talking with an attorney. Typically, parents to do not pay child support directly to the child, although there can be exceptions, of course. But, the theory is that the child support is to help the other parent with expenses including feeding the child, putting a roof over the child's head and providing other necessities such as clothing, heat and electricity. As you can see, it can get a little complicated. Talk with a good family law attorney. We have offices throughout New Jersey and many other family lawyers offer free consults, as we do. Wishing you the best of luck and hoping we can serve you if needed! Regards, Bari
Q. I live in NJ with my children I need to give my sister temp custody but she lives in Oklahoma. What can I do?
A: I'm so sorry you are going through this difficult time, but applaud you for your brave attempt to get better. You are right to begin to plan for your children while you will be away so that you know they will be cared for by a loving family member. I do, however, urge you to be cautious here. New Jersey is the home state of your children, has jurisdiction over them and, therefore, would make any decisions about them. Sending them out of state without the permission of the courts or the permission of their father, may backfire and a risk you may not want to take. To answer you appropriately, I would need some further information from you. Of course, I do not want you to give too much personal information in this open forum, but some questions that would need to be answered would be whether or not there is an existing order for custody, if there is any parenting time for their father, the ages of the children, how long you will be away, etc. No matter what, the court will look at what is in your children's best interests, when making any decisions regarding them. Your plan of action to ensure that you and your children are protected may be to get a specific order from a judge that allows the transfer of custody to their aunt. I strongly suggest that you speak with a family law attorney in your area for a free consultation, to get some specific guidance and to give you the confidence to know that you are making the correct decision in the eyes of the law. We have offices throughout New Jersey or, look for another local attorney with whom you feel comfortable. Many offer free consults. Best of luck on your journey to health and happiness. I hope we can help you now or in the future. Regards, Bari
Q. My support obligation went from two children to one. The amount stays the same. No change. Is this normal?
A: Thanks for asking your question, because this certainly comes up frequently! Since the new child support law went into effect, emancipation (the term we use for when a child is no longer in need of the financial support of their parents), as you know, becomes automatic at age 19, unless there is an exception, such as full-time college or a disability. Now that your 19-year-old is emancipated, your obligation is only to support your 16 year-old until he or she is emancipated. A little more information is needed in order to give you a really complete answer, but from what you ask, here, it seems as though your child support is what we call "unallocated," meaning that the order does not explicitly say each child receives $98.50, rather, it simply says the amount of $197.00 is for both children. Does that seem correct? If so, then there would be no automatic reduction of the support and you would have to file a motion with the court asking that the child support amount be recalculated. There is no specific law or statute that talks about this issue, but there have been cases that discuss what to do in this situation. Most frequently, the emancipation of one child would indeed be viewed as a change in circumstances that could warrant a reduction in the support. That "change in circumstances" standard is needed in order for the support to be changed/reduced. I understand your uncertainty about wanting to file a motion to recalculate your support obligation. A new child support guidelines would need to be run requiring more information such as your salary, your child's other parent's salary, etc. Would any possible reduction be worth the time and expense of filing? It's hard to say without talking more with you and getting particulars about your situation. I would suggest reaching out to a family law attorney for a consultation. We have offices throughout New Jersey, but many other family attorneys offer free consults, as well. I wish you luck and hope to have the opportunity to assit you! Regards, Bari
Q. Do I have to keep paying alimony if my ex wife is serving time in jail?
A: Thank you for your question. The law in New Jersey can get a little complicated when it comes to alimony and making any changes to your alimony order. But, in general, the Courts can take into account the changed circumstances of your spouse’s life depending on the situation and as the payor, you may be able to modify or stop your alimony payments. In order to advise if you can ask for your alimony to be suspended or terminated in your situation, we would need to understand more about your situation. For example, when did you get divorced and for how long are you supposed to pay alimony? Also, how long will your ex-wife be jail? Speak to a family law attorney so that you can get advice on your specific situation. We offer a free initial consultation and have offices located throughout New Jersey, or contact several local family law attorneys and request a free consultation. It's never a good idea to wait on filing this type of request, so try to speak with an attorney as soon as you can! I hope this information is helpful to you. Kind regards, Bari Weinberger
Q. Can I fill out the paperwork to get a divorce without needing to hire a lawyer?
A: You can, but please at least consider a consultation with a family law attorney in your area. Many offer free consultations. Depending on your specific case, you may have issues that can get complicated. Better to have good advice/representation now rather than having to go back to court later to correct mistakes, which is an incredibly difficult process.
Q. Can I obtain guardianship over my finances son?
A: In order for you to adopt, the child's biological mother would have to have her parental rights terminated either voluntarily or through a DCPP action against her. Talk to a family law attorney in your area, many offer free consultations. From your questions, it appears as though you may have a case to be found the child's psychological parent which would entitle you to certain rights, such as legal custody of the child. But, whatever you file in court has to be provided to the biological mother and she has the right to argue against it.
Q. Have PA custody agreement and 13yr, 10mo old child no longer wants to visit with 1 parent for numerous reasons. Options?
A: I suggest you speak with a Pennsylvania family law attorney, since the order for custody/parenting time is out of PA. Since the family is now in New Jersey, you may be able to have jurisdiction changed, but it depends on the exact language of the custody agreement.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Union County Office
20 Commerce Drive, Suite 135
Cranford, NJ 07016
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (908) 845-5000
Morris County Office
119 Cherry Hill Road
Suite 120
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (973) 845-8812
Somerset County Office
135 US Highway 202/206
Suite 8
Bedminster, NJ 07921
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (908) 333-4000
Bergen County Office
21 Main Street
Suite 354
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (201) 642-2000
Monmouth County Office
83 South Street
Suite 201
Freehold, NJ 07728
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (732) 252-0000
Burlington County Office
309 Fellowship Rd
Suite 200
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
Toll-Free: (888) 888-0919
Telephone: (856) 441-2000