For nearly 20 years, Antone Johnson has served as lawyer, advisor, executive and advocate for emerging growth technology/digital media ventures, founders and investors in a diverse range of business and intellectual property matters. Raised in Menlo Park and Palo Alto, California, suffused with Silicon Valley's unique culture of innovation, he came of age professionally during the Internet explosion of the late 1990s, an entrepreneurial crucible of unprecedented wealth and job creation, reinvention of countless industries, and related venture capital and Wall Street dealmaking. Antone was fortunate to have a ringside seat at major Los Angeles and Silicon Valley law firms, followed by a series of in-house roles at household-name consumer Internet and media companies that further refined his perspective. • Prior to founding Bottom Line Law Group in 2010, Antone served as VP, Legal Affairs at eHarmony, where he built the in-house legal function from scratch to support a growing, profitable $200+ million business. He directed the company's internal and external legal teams, including more than a dozen law firms across five countries, to support its global operations and emerging social media sites. Antone served as primary legal advisor to the CEO, senior management and Board of Directors in strategic transactions, corporate governance, shareholder relations, litigation strategy, crisis communications and risk management. Key accomplishments included closing four acquisitions, launching new ventures and products, growing and defending a substantial IP portfolio, reaching a landmark settlement with regulators that made WSJ headlines, and leading defense teams in complex patent infringement, consumer class action and employment litigation. • Prior to eHarmony, Antone was a legal executive at MySpace and its parent company, Intermix Media, through its early period of hyper-growth and global expansion, where he helped execute the company's $650 million sale to News Corp
- Business Law
- Communications & Internet Law
- Securities Law
- Entertainment & Sports
- Intellectual Property
- Free Consultation
Free initial consultation to investors, founders and executives of emerging growth companies, subject to availability.
- Credit Cards Accepted
- English: Spoken, Written
- Vice President, Legal Affairs and Corporate Secretary
- eHarmony, Inc.
- General counsel and corporate secretary to eHarmony, Inc., the Internet's #1 trusted relationship service, with more than 20 million registered users and $200+ million annual revenue. Member of the senior management team responsible for the company's legal, regulatory and government affairs, privacy/data protection, risk management and stock administration, reporting to the CEO. Built the company's legal function from scratch. Led a combined in-house and external team including three direct reports and more than a dozen outside law firms across five countries with a budget in the $3 million range.
- Assistant General Counsel / Director, Business & Legal Affairs
- MySpace.com / Fox Interactive Media / Intermix Media, Inc.
- Represented MySpace.com, the premier online social networking site/lifestyle portal and one of the most highly trafficked sites on the Internet (with more than 45 billion monthly page views), in corporate and business development, entertainment and technology licensing transactions, policy enforcement, international expansion and related matters. Advised senior management team at its publicly traded parent company with respect to a broad variety of legal matters, with emphasis on complex transactions, public company governance and securities compliance. Helped execute the company's $650 million sale to Fox Interactive Media.
- Director of Legal Affairs / Corporate Counsel
- Gemstar-TV Guide International, Inc.
- Corporate counsel to publicly traded publishing and broadcast media and technology leader in television guidance and home entertainment ($1 billion revenue), a News Corporation company. Responsible for corporate legal matters with emphasis on securities and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, financial reporting, corporate governance and M&A.
- Director, Corporate Counsel
- In-house counsel to publicly traded pioneering broadband Internet content and access provider ($600 million revenue). Advised the corporate and business development teams in strategic transactions (M&A, joint ventures, equity investments, content partnerships). Responsible for corporate governance, securities compliance and stock plan administration, reporting to the General Counsel.
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Corporate attorney at the world's leading technology law firm, headquartered in Palo Alto. Represented a broad variety of emerging growth technology companies in the Internet, IT and life sciences industries, as well as venture capital funds and underwriters. Emphasis on start-up, general corporate and intellectual property matters, private equity and debt financing, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions.
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Outside corporate/securities counsel to major NYSE and Nasdaq-traded corporations and financial institutions in strategic transactions including M&A, public offerings and private placements of equity and debt securities, asset securitizations and syndicated credit facilities.
- Columbia Law School
- J.D. (1996) | Law
- Honors: Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Activities: Production Editor, Columbia-VLA Journal of Law and the Arts
- Williams College
- B.A. (1993) | Economics
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- - Current
- California State Bar # 188041
- - Current
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Antone Johnson on SlideShare
- Mashtag "Blawg"
- Living in Palo Alto before the Internet?!
29 September 2015
- Twitter, Taxes and Turkish Prison
25 April 2014
- AP phone records, al Qaeda and civil liberties: thinking a couple moves ahead
16 May 2013
- Copywrong: Brilliantly Disruptive Startups from Napster to Pinterest
8 October 2012
- The Gust Blog
- Beyond VC: Funding Options for Early-Stage Startups
17 December 2017
- What Belongs in a Startup’s Pitch Deck?
15 August 2017
- The UrbanTech Movement is Transforming Cities
6 June 2017
- Co-founder Equity Split: A New Framework to Objectively Divide Startup Ownership and Get Back to Building a Business
4 November 2016
- Gust Launches Comprehensive Equity Management Platform for Cap Table Management and 409A Valuations
22 June 2016
- The Expanding World of Accelerators
14 June 2016
- From Accelerators to Venture Capital: What is best for your startup?
21 March 2016
- Ask A Founder: Startup Lessons Learned from Work Truck Solutions’ Kathryn Schifferle
8 March 2016
- Silicon Alley Closes 2015 On Top In A Boom Year For Startups
22 February 2016
- Term Sheet on Quora