Free Consultation: (219) 228-8886Tap to Call This Lawyer
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Criminal Law, DUI & DWI, Traffic Tickets...
  • Indiana
Rate This Lawyer
Lawyer Rating and Reviews
Legal Knowledge
Legal Analysis
Communication Skills
Ethics and Professionalism
Rating: 10 Justia Lawyer Rating - 10 out of 10
During years of interaction with Andrew Bennett, I have been impressed with his honesty and competence.
Claimed Lawyer ProfileQ&ALII GoldSocial Media

I am an experienced trial attorney, with over 20 years practicing law, including felony trials for Reckless Homicide. The majority of those years were spent as a deputy prosecuting attorney where I concentrated on OWI cases including OWI Causing Death cases.

In my capacity as a deputy prosecuting attorney I would routinely go to crash scenes at all hours of the day or night. Many times throughout the year I would conduct training for law enforcement officers. This has provided me with a keen insight into and knowledge of the criminal justice system.

This passion to do my best and put the hours needed into a case is now brought to defending my clients in Northwest Indiana including the counties of Lake, Porter, La Porte, St. Joseph, Newton, Jasper, Starke and Marshall in a variety of criminal cases including misdemeanors and complex felonies.

I rely upon my honesty and integrity, presenting the facts in a straight forward manner. I strive to maintain a strong rapport with my clients, other legal professionals and the bench. I would like to put my knowledge, dedication and experience to work for you.

Practice Areas
  • Criminal Law
  • DUI & DWI
  • Traffic Tickets
  • Domestic Violence
Additional Practice Areas
  • Specialized Driving Privileges
  • Expungments
  • Free Consultation
  • Credit Cards Accepted
  • Rates, Retainers and Additional Information
    I do offer flexible payment plans that work with your budget.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
  • English: Spoken, Written
Professional Experience
Valparaiso University School of Law
J.D. | Law
Ball State University
B.S. (1994) | Political Science, Psychology, Business
Professional Associations
Indiana State Bar # 20788-45
Lake County Bar Association
- Current
Activities: Criminal Defense section
Porter County Bar Association
- Current
American Inns of Court, Calumet Council
Master of the Bench
- Current
Speaking Engagements
Panel discussion on Criminal Law, Criminal Law class
Ivy Tech College
Websites & Blogs
Andrew L. Bennett's Website Profile
Law Office of Andrew L. Bennett, P.C. Website
Legal Answers
295 Questions Answered

Q. Should I file a police report? What should I do?
A: If there was no damage there is no crime. If there was damage the crime has already happened and if you make a police report it will not negate the crime. Also, you will be self incriminating yourself and could likely get charged based solely on the report you made.
Q. feb 2009 Indiana I was charged voluntary man slaughter n2013 stand ur ground was passed can I get my felony removed ??
A: The Stand Your Ground defense does not apply retroactively so you cannot use it to set aside your conviction. However, you may be able to have the case expunged once all obligations under the statute are met and the prosecutor agrees. You should consider consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney who is knowledgeable with expungements.
Q. What can I expect for a 2 counts Both A class A misdemeanors; owi endangering a person and owi with bac of .15 or more?
A: Mr. Stanko is correct.
Q. Can a prosecutor file new charges after the omnibus date?
Q. Will Indiana pick someone up from Colorado?
A: The answer depends on what the prosecutor wants to do. Generally, prosecutors do not extradite from another state so far from Indiana on a level six felony. However, given the Burglary case it is possible the prosecutor would be willing to pay for an extradition.
Q. I struggle with severe family issues yet CPS dont do anything on lack of evidence. I am 17 (18 in Oct) can I move out?
A: Consult with a family law attorney to discuss your options, including emancipation.
Q. I received a citation for not having a CDL what should I do next?
A: You should consult with a local traffic attorney the violation could add points and suspend your license if you just pay the ticket. A good traffic attorney should be able to negotiate on your behalf given the circumstances and avoid a conviction on your record.
Q. Why would a prosecutor file charges against someone for interfering with the reporting of a crime if no crime happened?
A: The charges that you have against you have a possible penalty of up to a year in jail. You should consult with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to begin working on your defense.
Q. A gal accuses u takin 15000 calls u thief liar 2 evry1 & texts it to many ppl presses charges found not guilty
A: It sounds like someone needs to talk to an attorney about defamation lawsuit. No guarantee it will be successful, but the person won't know until they talk to someone who is familiar with that area of law.
Click here to see all answers
Social Media
Contact & Map
Law Office of Andrew L. Bennett, P.C.
205 E Jefferson Street
Valparaiso, IN 46383
Telephone: (219) 228-8886
Fax: (219) 228-8626