Legal Services Provided
Appeals & Appellate
Websites & Blogs
- Lack of probable cause and overbroad search warrant; “Good-Faith Exception” and theory of abandonment rejected–Police lacked probable cause to seek and obtain overbroad warrant to search cell phone located in home: United States v. Ezra Griffith, _ F.3d _ (D.C. Circuit, No. 13-3061, Aug. 18, 2017).
21 August 2017
- Mandamus– petitioner satisfies stringent showing to justify removal of trial judge: United States v. Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, _ F.3d _ (D.C. Circuit, No. 17-1156, Aug. 9, 2017).
10 August 2017
- Ineffective Assistance– trial counsel’s crafting of idiosyncratic defense and failure to secure assistance of expert witness leads to overturning of decision rejecting claim of ineffective assistance in defense of child sex conviction: United States v. Brandon Laureys, _ F.3d _ (D.C. Circuit, No. 15-3032, August 8, 2017).
10 August 2017
- Ineffective Assistance– trial counsel’s wholesale ineffective assistance in investigating evidence of key witness’ bias leads to overturning of narcoterrorism claim: United States v. Khan Mohammed, _ F.3d _ (D.C. Circuit, No. 16-3102, July 21, 2017).
25 July 2017
- Grossly Improper Closing Argument and Ineffective Assistance– prosecutor’s blatant misstatement of law and insufficient evidence requires reversal and dismissal of conspiracy and tax charges against one defendant; co-defendant prevails on unreliable loss calculations/sentencing issue and remand for evaluation of ineffective assistance claims: United States v. Davis, _ F.3d _ (D.C. Circuit, No. 15-3044, July 21, 2017)
24 July 2017
- 9th Circuit: Court upholds illegal reentry defendant’s collateral attack of deportation
18 July 2017
- 9th Circuit: Oregon third-degree robbery not a “violent felony”
28 June 2017
- 9th Circuit: Rehearing denied in case barring sentencing judge from overriding affirmative jury finding of drug quantity; district court erred in barring defendant from arguing that statute did not apply to his postings on child porn bulletin board; jury instruction in firearms-transportation case erroneously failed to require intent to commit particular crime charged
25 June 2017
- 9th Circuit: Where purportedly administrative search of truck would not have occurred but for tip suggesting drug smuggling, evidence recovered during search must be suppressed
18 June 2017
Contact & Map